Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

On the limit handling MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Placebo is a hell of a drug.
@thesmokingman If you're not racing, then what feels good is good! 😃

It's also plausible Tesla has changed the slip start programming. They're willing to change anything they can with OTA updates - the stupid overboosted steering that got pushed to Model 3's recently can attest to that. :(

They've also made significant changes to Track Mode behavior since it was first released, right?

When I'm actually able to do fun driving again - hopefully in two months or so - I'll try slip start on ramps in my M3P and see how it compares to normal mode. If Slip Start helps and I can enter it without going into Park (as required to enter Track Mode), that would be super useful at times...

This car should have had track mode from the jump. Such a strange exclusion and even more baffling that we STILL don't have it.
@BMWY Honestly it's not baffling at all, it makes sense from Tesla's perspective.

At a product level Tesla clearly views Track Mode as for the racetrack only. Everything about it screams this. Can only enter while in Park, cooling system always runs at max, disables Autopilot and Nav, etc.

From that perspective, it doesn't make sense to give the Y or any CUV/SUV Track Mode. It's not the tool for that job. When I was doing Track Days I never saw anyone bring a crossover, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed by the groups I ran with. Yes yes Model Y should be less tippy than ICE crossovers but it still seems wrong for actual racetrack use.

Now you and I and others here understand that many of Track Mode's features can be super useful on the street, for certain kinds and situations of driving. Probably some Tesla engineers do too, but at a product level, Tesla views Track Mode as just for the track. Unless that changes, I can't see them adding Track Mode to the Y or X.

Also look at the time it took them to adapt Track Mode to the S Plaid with its new tri motor setup. Compare with how long the Y P has been out, using the same drivetrain they already setup Track Mode for in the 3 P. If they wanted to do Track Mode on the Y it'd be here already.

Similarly, think about why Tesla never made a Track Mode for any S before the Palladium. The older ones couldn't stand up to hot laps at all, not a chance, blasting the cooling wouldn't have been enough. The 3 was their first S3XY car to be plausibly capable of even a single track day session. (No idea if the Roadster could.)

Early S couldn't even do a single hot lap at most tracks before overheating, as I recall. I don't think that changed much until the Palladium but I'll admit I didn't follow all the S drivetrain changes in detail beyond the P85D, until the Palladium. (My S is an original P85, and the cooling is just fine for the street but it would NEVER handle a track day no matter if it had Track Mode.)

@BMWY Honestly it's not baffling at all, it makes sense from Tesla's perspective.

At a product level Tesla clearly views Track Mode as for the racetrack only. Everything about it screams this. Can only enter while in Park, cooling system always runs at max, disables Autopilot and Nav, etc.

From that perspective, it doesn't make sense to give the Y or any CUV/SUV Track Mode. It's not the tool for that job. When I was doing Track Days I never saw anyone bring a crossover, and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be allowed by the groups I ran with. Yes yes Model Y should be less tippy than ICE crossovers but it still seems wrong for actual racetrack use.

Now you and I and others here understand that many of Track Mode's features can be super useful on the street, for certain kinds and situations of driving. Probably some Tesla engineers do too, but at a product level, Tesla views Track Mode as just for the track. Unless that changes, I can't see them adding Track Mode to the Y or X.

Also look at the time it took them to adapt Track Mode to the S Plaid with its new tri motor setup. Compare with how long the Y P has been out, using the same drivetrain they already setup Track Mode for in the 3 P. If they wanted to do Track Mode on the Y it'd be here already.

IDK, I think that would have been a valid argument a few years ago, but with the meteoric rise of the performance CUV/SUV segment, it seems to be a big miss. The X3M, Stelvio Quad, GLA, etc. all have some form of track mode.

IDK, I think that would have been a valid argument a few years ago, but with the meteoric rise of the performance CUV/SUV segment, it seems to be a big miss. The X3M, Stelvio Quad, GLA, etc. all have some form of track mode.
@BMWY Do track day groups allow them now? Have you seen people driving them at HPDEs? I haven't done a track day in many years but I see cars coming from events regularly, numbers still on the side, and haven't seen that on a CUV yet. I'd remember if I did!

I know car mags will race these fast crossovers for comparisons but I didn't think people actually bought them with that in mind. Everything that makes a crossover a good one seems against track use.

Then again maybe sports car owners think the same thing about people tracking sedans and wagons. 😄

@BMWY Do track day groups allow them now? Have you seen people driving them at HPDEs? I haven't done a track day in many years but I see cars coming from events regularly, numbers still on the side, and haven't seen that on a CUV yet. I'd remember if I did!

I know car mags will race these fast crossovers for comparisons but I didn't think people actually bought them with that in mind. Everything that makes a crossover a good one seems against track use.

Then again maybe sports car owners think the same thing about people tracking sedans and wagons. 😄
I can't speak for every group, but I think most allow them now. I had my X3Mc on the track about 20-30 times :)

Reactions: tm1v2