Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
if you see the MYP rear stance, the wheel/tires lean-in for handling purposes
best rotation idea I heard recently, due to this lean-in and the inside wear of the tires, is to not only rotate side to side, but to actually have the tire remounted moving the wear edge to the outside, effectively enabling longer wear time for the rear tires

great idea and will do on my next rotation
The tires should not lean in. Camber specs both from and rear center around 0*.

Also be aware that most OEM tires are unidirectional which limits how they can be rotated or remounted.

Attachments

• IMG_5258.jpeg
    IMG_5258.jpeg
    420.8 KB · Views: 37
I have enjoyed my Pirelli P-Zeros my MYP came with, the idea of this setup and not freaking out about hitting curbs has me happy to buy tires... I got over 33,000 miles on the P-Zeros which I was happy with. Question though do I go with P Zeros in this sizing, or get the Michelin all seasons (I'm in Florida)?

Also of note, when pricing them, the larger tires actually seem to me a bit cheaper!?

BTW. Best write up ever, and I appreciate you so much! Thank you!

Hey, I would like to move my rear tires to the front and go with the 295/35/21's . I've had my 2023 MYP for about 3 months now and just scraped
my front rim on a curb.
How did it ride and handle when you did this? Did it have a better stance when looking from behind? I also see that you moved to 20's, why? Did it decrease the performance?
I would have like to see what it looked like directly from the side and rear showing the full stance. If you have any old pics, I would really appreciate you posting them.

Hey, I would like to move my rear tires to the front and go with the 295/35/21's . I've had my 2023 MYP for about 3 months now and just scraped
my front rim on a curb.
How did it ride and handle when you did this? Did it have a better stance when looking from behind? I also see that you moved to 20's, why? Did it decrease the performance?
I would have like to see what it looked like directly from the side and rear showing the full stance. If you have any old pics, I would really appreciate you posting them.
OP here, Not sure who you're asking as I didnt switch to 20's. If I did, I would go with a square setup.
IMG_8943.jpeg
IMG_8929.jpeg

Thank you so much, I too did a lot of research and ended up doing the same set up! Got all tires at Costco for just under $1800. MUCH quieter than the Pirellis and I think a more stable feeling ride. Wheel protection is indeed better as I can neither confirm nor deny I might have scrapped a curb once. I did notice the speedo differences and am still gauging that but it doesn’t seem like a big a deal. Lastly, the car is still figuring out energy usage but I believe that works itself out and I’m only two days and 50 miles in. Thanks again!

Attachments

• IMG_3405.jpeg
    IMG_3405.jpeg
    708.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3406.jpeg
    IMG_3406.jpeg
    476.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3404.jpeg
    IMG_3404.jpeg
    803.7 KB · Views: 18
Thank you so much, I too did a lot of research and ended up doing the same set up! Got all tires at Costco for just under $1800. MUCH quieter than the Pirellis and I think a more stable feeling ride. Wheel protection is indeed better as I can neither confirm nor deny I might have scrapped a curb once. I did notice the speedo differences and am still gauging that but it doesn’t seem like a big a deal. Lastly, the car is still figuring out energy usage but I believe that works itself out and I’m only two days and 50 miles in. Thanks again!
front 275/40 rear 295/40, no rubbing? oh, btw thank you for your service🤚(I could not figure out the symbol from the library)

Hi guys,

Just to report back that I switched back to the OEM tires and size.
This whole “larger tires” thing is bogus.
The handling is worse, comfort is worse due to the higher unsprung mass of the larger tires, car looses is quick corenering ability and plus in my case with a lot of highway driving I lost around 12% of range.
The look of soso higher side wall in my eyes is meeh.
I spend $2,200ish and 5 times at tire shops to change back and forth plus balancing.
Of cores I thought initially ok, I run bigger tires on Jeep’s and my Trucks all the time, why not.
Tesla’s and probably all modern cars are so dialed in that changes in geometry or weight has a much bigger impact than we consumers could possibly know.
Not even talking about damages to suspension, steering and bearings due to the higher weight of larger tires and the higher resistance while driving.

My recommendation, save your money and move on from this glorified thread here. Its BS.

Mike
I agree Suny. I recently tried 295 40 21 Michelin AS on the rears, and I kept getting traction control warnings. I reset the tire wheel settings but nothing worked. The drive was unstable and even regen was impacted. Efficiency was also impacted. Went back to oem size and all is fine.

I agree Suny. I recently tried 295 40 21 Michelin AS on the rears, and I kept getting traction control warnings. I reset the tire wheel settings but nothing worked. The drive was unstable and even regen was impacted. Efficiency was also impacted. Went back to oem size and all is fine.
That’s really odd. What was your tire pressure? And what did you put on the front? If you just upped the rears and left the OEM size on front, that would be the culprit.

That’s really odd. What was your tire pressure? And what did you put on the front? If you just upped the rears and left the OEM size on front, that would be the culprit.
I want to clarify that I haven’t seen anyone have traction control warnings the only reason that would happen is a large mismatch between front and rear. Which isn’t the case with the setup I suggested.

Front remained oem as there was tread left. Additionally, discount tire deemed 265 40 too big for the front so would've still not matched the rear once replacing the fronts. It's not a mechanical issue rather a computer problem for it not liking the variances in front and rear sizes. Unfortunately, the loss in efficiency and reduced handling response would've made me not like the setup either way.

Front remained oem as there was tread left. Additionally, discount tire deemed 265 40 too big for the front so would've still not matched the rear once replacing the fronts. It's not a mechanical issue rather a computer problem for it not liking the variances in front and rear sizes. Unfortunately, the loss in efficiency and reduced handling response would've made me not like the setup either way.
So you did the setup wrong, and discount tire was wrong. There’s no real loss in efficiency, and no reduced handling.

I'm running 275/35 295/35 for about 10k miles now. I'm averaging 324wh/mi.
There is an efficiency decrease compared to stock sizes just due to the weight I believe 68lbs Front & 72lbs Rear. I used to be in the 310wh/mi with the stock size tires.

However the Uberturbines play a big part in the aero efficiency design. I ran arachnid look-alikes in 255/45/20 squared set-up 20x9.5 and they were 58lbs each corner still averaged around 320wh/mi. Acceleration greatly improved, but highway speeds were the almost the same efficiency due to the open wheel design.

Just thought I would post my findings from my experience.
i'm still on the fence with the 275/295 21s update, any other benefits besides look, better curb rash protection, handling? confirm if those are not true for you
also, talk to if any traction control errors on the screen

There is reduced efficiency and handling. It's easy as math and physics to figure out heavier rotational mass x 4 equates to more energy exerted to move the vehicle. This same rotational mass along with a taller tire impacts turns.
My efficiency is the same. after 2 sets. Handling is great. still. 99% of people are thrilled with the upgrade. if you dont like them, that's fine. but no need to worry people with problems that don't exist.

Youre looking for issues.