TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

One Day Shutdown of Model S and Model X Production

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by vaka2000, Mar 29, 2018.

1. vaka2000

vaka2000 Member

Apparently it's all hands on deck @tesla to meet Model 3 production goals. At the expense of Model S and X.
    Production of both MS and MX is now suspended. Do you think I am making this up?

Tesla is reportedly urging workers see 'how many Model 3s' they can build in a week

Verbatim:
    "....In another email obtained by Bloomberg, Vice President of Production Peter Hochholdinger wrote that Tesla will suspend Model S and Model X production on Thursday and Friday. Although he attributed the shutdown to the fact that the company is ahead of its targets on those models, he also said during the shutdown employees from the S and X lines will be permitted to work on the Model 3.

(A spokesperson for Tesla has since told Bloomberg the shutdown will only take place on Friday and is unrelated to Model 3 production.) Tesla did not respond to CNBC's request for comment....."

What do you guys think? Does it change anything for those who have ordered and now waiting, like I am?

• Informative x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  2. VT_EE

VT_EE Active Member

New interior maybe? I doubt it’s related to the model 3. Probably just retooling for some S and X change.

3. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

From the article, the shutdown is only one day (tomorrow). Perhaps the mods can fix the clickbait thread title.

"A spokesperson for Tesla has since told Bloomberg the shutdown will only take place on Friday and is unrelated to Model 3 production."

• Like x 2
  4. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

I certainly wouldn't want to buy a car that was built during a period when quantity, rather than quality, was the focus.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  5. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Doesn't really add up... I'm assuming there's currently one M3 line producing cars... and I'm assuming it's pretty well (i.e. fully) staffed with workers well trained on the equipment and assembly of M3. So you have a lot of MS/MX workers available for one day? What could they possibly do on the M3 line where they are not trained? Sure, there's probably things in common and basic factory skills, but even taking time to get an S/X worker up to speed/trained on the M3 line is going to cancel out any production gains they may add for just one day. And it's not like there's another M3 line sitting idle just waiting for workers.

What is it? Just go find a spot on the M3 line and step in and start helping?

I think this entire thing is an over-reaction to two completely unrelated emails going out.

• Like x 2
  6. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

That's every Tesla :-/

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  7. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Last year when I was building my house, I lost all my brick-layers one day. I found out later another contractor offered them an additional dollar per hour to put up wallpaper :)

But no, I assume the M3 line is relatively well choreographed in whatever robot/human state it's currently in, so there's not a lot that a bunch of S/X assembly workers could impact in a couple of days.

• Like x 1
  8. vaka2000

vaka2000 Member

Then what’s the true reason for suspending production of other models? Anyone buys they are ahead of schedule? With 2+ month wait times? I suspect it’s related to logistics or worse yet, parts crunch

• Like x 1
  9. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Re-tooling of the line. Maybe for something great (facelift) maybe for something dull that we'll never notice.

10. Bluewish

Bluewish Member

My X actually came 2 weeks earlier than scheduled and I haven't found any problem with it yet.

11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Is Cat

Zero indications that quality will suffer.

• Funny x 2
  12. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

And zero indications it won't. When you shoot for records in quantity and you still haven't nailed down the quality part, odds are that the quality ain't gonna shine.

• Like x 1
  13. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Is Cat

And zero indications it will.

• Funny x 1
  14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Agree that the title is inappropriate - modified.

Also Tesla does have occasional one-day line shutdowns. It's an opportunity to maintain and upgrade equipment.

• Like x 1
  15. roblab

roblab Active Member

Spec U Lation cubed. What a circus.

• Like x 1
  16. Eclectic

Eclectic Member

No way am I going to say what you expect me to say...

17. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Is Cat

And we were just starting to have fun.

• Like x 2
  18. AUDEW

AUDEW New Member

Their model S and X lines are as advanced as any in the industry. The Model 3 is more advanced than any other currently in production.

Despite still being a small automotive firm and only recently being a small start up, and producing advanced products competing where most competitors achieve below average reliability, the firm already achieves average reliability for its Model S and the reliability ratings for its vehicles continue to improve.