Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One Day Shutdown of Model S and Model X Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently it's all hands on deck @tesla to meet Model 3 production goals. At the expense of Model S and X.
Production of both MS and MX is now suspended. Do you think I am making this up?

Tesla is reportedly urging workers see 'how many Model 3s' they can build in a week

Verbatim:
"....In another email obtained by Bloomberg, Vice President of Production Peter Hochholdinger wrote that Tesla will suspend Model S and Model X production on Thursday and Friday. Although he attributed the shutdown to the fact that the company is ahead of its targets on those models, he also said during the shutdown employees from the S and X lines will be permitted to work on the Model 3.

(A spokesperson for Tesla has since told Bloomberg the shutdown will only take place on Friday and is unrelated to Model 3 production.) Tesla did not respond to CNBC's request for comment....."

What do you guys think? Does it change anything for those who have ordered and now waiting, like I am?

Apparently it's all hands on deck @tesla to meet Model 3 production goals. At the expense of Model S and X.
Production of both MS and MX is now suspended. Do you think I am making this up?

Tesla is reportedly urging workers see 'how many Model 3s' they can build in a week

Verbatim:
"....In another email obtained by Bloomberg, Vice President of Production Peter Hochholdinger wrote that Tesla will suspend Model S and Model X production on Thursday and Friday. Although he attributed the shutdown to the fact that the company is ahead of its targets on those models, he also said during the shutdown employees from the S and X lines will be permitted to work on the Model 3.

(A spokesperson for Tesla has since told Bloomberg the shutdown will only take place on Friday and is unrelated to Model 3 production.) Tesla did not respond to CNBC's request for comment....."

What do you guys think? Does it change anything for those who have ordered and now waiting, like I am?
New interior maybe? I doubt it’s related to the model 3. Probably just retooling for some S and X change.

Doesn't really add up... I'm assuming there's currently one M3 line producing cars... and I'm assuming it's pretty well (i.e. fully) staffed with workers well trained on the equipment and assembly of M3. So you have a lot of MS/MX workers available for one day? What could they possibly do on the M3 line where they are not trained? Sure, there's probably things in common and basic factory skills, but even taking time to get an S/X worker up to speed/trained on the M3 line is going to cancel out any production gains they may add for just one day. And it's not like there's another M3 line sitting idle just waiting for workers.

he also said during the shutdown employees from the S and X lines will be permitted to work on the Model 3.

What is it? Just go find a spot on the M3 line and step in and start helping?

I think this entire thing is an over-reaction to two completely unrelated emails going out.

What is it? Just go find a spot on the M3 line and step in and start helping?

I think this entire thing is an over-reaction to two completely unrelated emails going out.
Last year when I was building my house, I lost all my brick-layers one day. I found out later another contractor offered them an additional dollar per hour to put up wallpaper :)

But no, I assume the M3 line is relatively well choreographed in whatever robot/human state it's currently in, so there's not a lot that a bunch of S/X assembly workers could impact in a couple of days.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Their model S and X lines are as advanced as any in the industry. The Model 3 is more advanced than any other currently in production.

Despite still being a small automotive firm and only recently being a small start up, and producing advanced products competing where most competitors achieve below average reliability, the firm already achieves average reliability for its Model S and the reliability ratings for its vehicles continue to improve.