Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One pedal driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Over 99% of the time, it's not 100% full and it's not freezing out, or it's freezing but the battery is warm enough for Regen to work fine.
Yes I do like the regen braking alot, since it closely mirrors the engine braking that I am very used to -- would miss greatly not having it. However, the temp issue is a real bother, not only for its impact on regen but more so for its impact on range.

Around these parts, it is cold from early November to May... indeed it was still dropping into the 40s here until 1st week in June. Since my daily commute is short, there is no time to warm up the battery enough for regen to work (unless I pre-warm, ugh). So yeah, its way less than 99% of the year for me.

My point is that it *should* be possible to engineer the regen braking so that, from the driver's point of view, it *isn't* temperature dependent... just figure out a way to dump the excess current if the batteries can't take it.

Gee maybe I should encourage contribute *more* to more global warming so the winters here aren't so long.... :)

Last edited:
Reactions: adys123 and Timbo2
Sure, though it requires planning and uses more energy...

I wonder if it will end up using more energy. I believe the car will try to warm your battery anyway which of course doesn't end up benefiting you since arrive at your destination.

Also data point of one (i.e. anecdote), I was able to retrain myself to with varying amounts of regen on the accelerator. When we first got the Model 3 we had a LEAF and RAV4-EV. They had only minor regen on the accelerator, most if was blended into the brake pedal. The first few days I had the 3 in low regen and creep otherwise I would make myself motion sick with the habits that I had from previous vehicles which was press the accelerator and the let up (coast w/ light regen) which of course on the Tesla with standard regen would yoyo the car. I did learn to keep my foot on the accelerator and modulate it. To my pleasant surprised what my brain learned was, slowly let up on the accelerator, if the car is not slowing down fast enough, let up some more. If you reach the point where you are completely off the accelerator and you are still not slowing down enough then start pressing on the brake pedal. I discovered I had no issue switching cars and with varying regen. This became completely natural since the amount of regen effectively varied anyway with the speed you were travelling at (the deceleration rate might be same, haven't measure but clearly more energy needs to be absorbed from faster speeds). The only glitch would be occasionally forgetting that our other cars didn't have auto hold so I would let up on the brake thinking I could rest my foot only to have reapply it.

Reactions: MentalNomad