Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Online configurator preview

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit, most everything with the Model 3 performance/battery specs baffles me.
  • For the base battery, the super charging is pretty slow (130 miles in 30 minutes). Charge time is one of THE things people worry about when considering switching to EVs. With buffer, you're looking at 45+ minutes of supercharging in the base model. That's really not much better than the Bolt at a 50kwh DC charger.
  • The 75kwh verison is MUCH slower than the 75kwh Model S, despite the same battery size and substantially lower weight. Why?
  • Back in my day 4.5 years ago +25kwh was $10,000 (60->85), the cost per kwh between base and long range 3 hasn't really improved either and THAT more than anything I expected would be better given the gigafatory.

The car, the options, and the cost are pretty on par with what I expected (other than a larger battery being maybe 5-6k), but I certainly wasn't expecting things related to the battery (super charge rate, performance, cost) to stay the same or get worse as EVs became mass production.

Edit: corrected my statement about supercharging

Last edited:
I have to admit, most everything with the Model 3 performance/battery specs baffles me.
  • Even with the 75kwh version, the super charging appears slower than the Model S equivalent battery size. Why? Charge time is one of THE things people worry about, and the Model 3 is worse at it, not better.
  • The 75kwh verison is MUCH slower than the 75kwh Model S, despite the same battery size and substantially lower weight. Why?
  • Back in my day 4.5 years ago +25kwh was $10,000 (60->85), the cost per kwh between base and long range 3 hasn't really improved either and THAT more than anything I expected would be better given the gigafatory.

The car, the options, and the cost are pretty on par with what I expected (other than a larger battery being maybe 5-6k), but I certainly wasn't expecting things related to the battery (super charge rate, performance, cost) to stay the same or get worse as EVs became mass production.

Where did you get any model 3 battery specs?

Model 3 Options.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: Sudre and SolarRyan
Do you mean for the battery sizes? From people's educated guesses here based on ranges.

If you mean acceleration and such, someone beat me to it already on posting those.

And, actually, for the long range Model 3 pack I retract my words about supercharging. That's the number they're touting on the official supercharger page. My statement was based on Tesla's old "50% in 20 minutes" claim, but I guess that's no longer how they state it.

Sneaky of them to make those hideous aero wheels the only available base option... I'm guessing that guarantees a 90+% take rate on the $1500 upgrade to the 19s.

I will get base wheels. They look fine with the aero wheel cover removed. I will put the covers on for longer trips.
Picture of car with base wheels and no aero wheel covers here:
Does the "aero" design in the 18 wheels add any range?

Reactions: DR61
Absolutely I believe the is an NDA. I'm quite positive they want employees to report issues with their Model 3's vial internal communications spelled out in an NDA. There is always an NDA for employees.

You're missing the key phrase in the response. NDA for the configurator. I am not sure there would be an NDA about issues with the car, but I suspect employees are highly discouraged from discussing them publicly. There is no reason for an NDA for information that is essentially already public.

You're missing the key phrase in the response. NDA for the configurator. I am not sure there would be an NDA about issues with the car, but I suspect employees are highly discouraged from discussing them publicly. There is no reason for an NDA for information that is essentially already public.
There isn't much that's already public. Only 3-4 details provided by Elon during the reveal.

• Disagree
Reactions: dragonxt and JoaoD
There isn't much that's already public. Only 3-4 details provided by Elon during the reveal.

Almost all the specific details were made public on Friday night: options pricing, features, dimensions, etc.

Press Kit | Tesla

Electrek and other news websites published this info shortly after it went up. The configuration website shows nothing I didn't already know from press sources.

Reactions: dragonxt
Almost all the specific details were made public on Friday night: options pricing, features, dimensions, etc.

Press Kit | Tesla

Electrek and other news websites published this info shortly after it went up. The configuration website shows nothing I didn't already know from press sources.
That's not really much in my opinion.

Supercharging - Cost?
Dual Motor - Cost? When?
Lease or purchase only?
Functionality of options?
Test drives available? When?

There is more that we don't know than what we do know. Why do we have to find out info from NON Tesla folks?

Reactions: Sudre
Indeed. I'm trying to keep myself from "making decisions" about what I will and won't be getting because by the time they start delivering to my neck of the woods (early 2019) who knows what they'll actually be offering and at what price.