Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Online configurator preview

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not really much in my opinion.

Supercharging - Cost?
Dual Motor - Cost? When?
Lease or purchase only?
Functionality of options?
Test drives available? When?

There is more that we don't know than what we do know. Why do we have to find out info from NON Tesla folks?

The press kit is directly from Tesla's website. It would be a waste of time for Elon to read all the specific items when what most people care about is range and acceleration and price.

Supercharging costs were already disclosed when Tesla switched to a pay-as-you-go model for new orders:

Supercharging

Given that Tesla hasn't finished validating AWD on Model 3, I wouldn't expect pricing anytime soon.

Call Tesla directly for answers... nobody here will know anything about test drive schedule.

Reactions: dragonxt
See my comments below ... search for the truth :cool:

Supercharging - Cost? Supercharger cost of $0.20 per kilowatt hour Supercharging
Dual Motor - Cost? When? Jun - Aug 2018 for current owners Tesla SSO - Login
Lease or purchase only? Purchase only
Functionality of options? Press Kit | Tesla Canada
Test drives available? When? Last Friday at the launch party!

There is more that we don't know than what we do know. Why do we have to find out info from NON Tesla folks?

• Funny
Reactions: anticitizen13.7

Supercharging - Cost?
Yes, listed on Tesla.com or someone made a great unofficial search tool.

Dual Motor - Cost? When?
<$5k and available in July 2018.

Lease or purchase only?
Purchase Only at first.

Functionality of options?
What do you want to know?

Test drives available? When?
Yes, in starting in certain markets in about 30 days. Most likely in California making their way east.

See my comments below ... search for the truth :cool:
Thanks for the links. I love links.

Supercharging - Cost? Supercharger cost of $0.20 per kilowatt hour Supercharging
I was looking for Model 3 supercharging costs. Those are M and S costs that no longer apply.

Dual Motor - Cost? When? Jun - Aug 2018 for current owners Tesla SSO - Login
I was looking for Cost.

Functionality of options? Press Kit | Tesla Canada
Functionality ....not a list. i.e. How do the HVAC vents work? How do you get in and out of the car? fob? Nope.

Elon did not demonstrate anything like he did with the Model S and X. There was more time spent on the LoveDay videos.

Well anyway.....this thread is about the configurator....

>>>Jun - Aug 2018 for current owners Tesla SSO - Login<<<

Mine says July - Sep 2018 for current owners. I waited in line for the Rocklin store to open but with a massive line it took 3 hours to place the actual order. Either that line or my location cost me an extra month.

Refresh your delivery estimate ... Tesla has improved the dates by one month :cool:

Reactions: Ulmo
Screen Shot 2017-07-30 at 7.20.17 PM.png

Long Range Battery - $9,000
  • Range: 310 miles
  • Supercharging rate: 170 miles of range per 30 minutes
  • Home charging rate: 37 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 40A)
===

Ok, calculation time:
  • Supercharging rate: 170 miles of range per 30 minutes: 170miles/30minutes = 340mph (avg rate during a typical 30 minute interval) (as a rate; not actually 340 miles in an hour)
  • Home charging rate: 37 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 40A): 240V*40A=9,600W = 9.6kW; (340mph/37mph)*9.6kW = 88.2kW
So, roughly speaking, the Long Range Battery SuperCharges at an advertised average of ~88kW, for half an hour, to get 170 miles of (average rated) range. That could mean that it ramps at different rates during that 30 minutes, so that "88kW" doesn't mean it's any type of maximum; it could be well over 88kW as a max. I think the max rate is above 88kW, in my uninformed rough opinion.

The idea, though, is that you pull up to a SuperCharger during a long distance trip, and it gets approximately 170 miles in half an hour, give or take variances due to conditions. That means get out, plug in the car, stretch, get your stuff, take a walk, do stuff, come back, and it should have about 170 miles in it, enough to go to the next hop. If you want a longer hop, wait a bit longer.

It seems very reasonable to me. Remember: I came from a 75D Model S with software limitation to 60D. That means that I could charge up in my Model S at 99kW, but the ramp left me in sub-99kW for a great deal of a SuperCharge session. It meant I could stop at a SuperCharger with good amenities and basically come back to a full enough car to zip off to the next stop, and that at SuperChargers with bad amenities, I was stuck waiting there for the SuperCharge to get to a good level; often, I'd read a book, or use the computer, and the time would fly away. The biggest problem was how much time it added to trips; it could eat up a day if I'm not careful and I while away too much time at stops. That's why I prefer stops with good amenities; I don't get engrossed in a side task while sitting in my car. Sitting in the car is bad for exercise and all sorts of other things; I'd often leave SuperChargers with bad amenities wanting to pull over and stretch my legs.

What about the standard range battery Supercharging speed?

One thing stayed kind of constant in most Model S and Model X's: if all of the various battery sizes pulled up all depleted to a SuperCharger and plugged in at the same time, they would all get to around 80% state of charge at about the same time, on average (but due to specific conditions it would vary greatly). The only big difference, of course, is that 80% meant more range on some vehicles than others.

Last edited:
For the base battery, the super charging is pretty slow (130 miles in 30 minutes). Charge time is one of THE things people worry about when considering switching to EVs. With buffer, you're looking at 45+ minutes of supercharging in the base model. That's really not much better than the Bolt at a 50kwh DC charger.

People are far more worried about range. But both wind up fading away quickly during ownership. Unless you are a regular road tripper, it just doesn't come up very often.

Back in my day 4.5 years ago +25kwh was $10,000 (60->85), the cost per kwh between base and long range 3 hasn't really improved either and THAT more than anything I expected would be better given the gigafatory.

An 85 also didn't get 310 miles of range. They may be losing money on the standard range battery pack knowing that a lot of folks will spring for the extra range and options. They have plenty of evidence for that in the pattern of Model S and X sales.

An 85 also didn't get 310 miles of range. They may be losing money on the standard range battery pack knowing that a lot of folks will spring for the extra range and options. They have plenty of evidence for that in the pattern of Model S and X sales.

I understand your statement, however they haven't started selling the standard range battery pack on the Model 3 yet. How are they losing money on it?

Ok, calculation time:
  • Supercharging rate: 170 miles of range per 30 minutes: 170miles/30minutes = 340mph (avg rate during a typical 30 minute interval) (as a rate; not actually 340 miles in an hour)
  • Home charging rate: 37 miles of range per hour (240V outlet, 40A): 240V*40A=9,600W = 9.6kW; (340mph/37mph)*9.6kW = 88.2kW
So, roughly speaking, the Long Range Battery SuperCharges at an advertised average of ~88kW, for half an hour, to get 170 miles of (average rated) range. That could mean that it ramps at different rates during that 30 minutes, so that "88kW" doesn't mean it's any type of maximum; it could be well over 88kW as a max. I think the max rate is above 88kW, in my uninformed rough opinion.

Home charging is wall-to-wheel. The Supercharging mphh is not.
So you need to apply a home charging efficiency stab-in-the-dark and multiply the calculated Supercharging power by that.

• Helpful
Reactions: GSP