Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only one way to answer a phone call?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Steering wheel buttons are already overloaded.

Pressing the left steering wheel button mutes/unmutes the volume ... Which is redundant when the phone is ringing (does nothing when you press it - certainly does not mute the ringing). Right button is voice control, which I think is also disabled while the phone is ringing.

So not sure why you think that's a bad idea?

Right now I have to take my eyes off the road to answer/ignore the phone, which is pretty bad design if that's the only way to do it.

Pressing the left steering wheel button mutes/unmutes the volume ... Which is redundant when the phone is ringing (does nothing when you press it - certainly does not mute the ringing). Right button is voice control, which I think is also disabled while the phone is ringing.

So not sure why you think that's a bad idea?

Right now I have to take my eyes off the road to answer/ignore the phone, which is pretty bad design if that's the only way to do it.

That starts to get very confusing. The buttons change function dependent on something that the user doesn't control.

For example, you press the right button to answer, but you hear a beep in a few seconds and nothing else. Oh yeah, the caller hung up just before you hit it and you went to voice command.

I don't find it hard to see or hit the big red button when the phone is ringing.

But of you want a button for everything, maybe the Tesla isn't the best choice.

Buttons changing based on whats happening would be nice i think, like you say they dont do much when a call is coming in anyway.

They do it with volume control already, when the navigation is talking and you change the volume using the scroll wheel it changes how loud the nav talks not the volume of the music.

But of you want a button for everything, maybe the Tesla isn't the best choice.

Touché

That starts to get very confusing.

Buttons that do things in context is a very common design choice with almost everything to do with any software. I don't see a problem with adding one more function.

In fact I would love the ability to remap the buttons on the steering wheel and stalks. Especially if you can do combos. Like, while right button is pressed, use left scroll wheel to adjust manual wiper speed. I'm fairly comfortable with mapping macros on keyboard shortcuts and MMO mouse for my computer...

I don't want more buttons, I just want more shortcuts with the buttons I already have.

Touché

Buttons that do things in context is a very common design choice with almost everything to do with any software. I don't see a problem with adding one more function.

In fact I would love the ability to remap the buttons on the steering wheel and stalks. Especially if you can do combos. Like, while right button is pressed, use left scroll wheel to adjust manual wiper speed. I'm fairly comfortable with mapping macros on keyboard shortcuts and MMO mouse for my computer...

I don't want more buttons, I just want more shortcuts with the buttons I already have.
Agreed and easy to make them a user selectable option. For me just let the left scroll adjust wiper speed when the wiper controls appear on screen after pressing the single wipe button on the control stalk.

Touché

I am quite sure that eventually there will be more advanced features for the scroll buttons it’s just they seem to be working on other things as a priority.

hopefully the voice control as it currently is rubbish since a recent update

Seems a bit weird that one of the steering wheel buttons can't be used to answer the 'phone. Must be the first car I've owned since 2005 that doesn't have this function. I wonder if just adding a voice command to do this would be a fix? You already just press the right hand button to activate voice commands, so it would seem easy to just add an "answer 'phone" option (far more useful than the "Ho Ho Ho" voice command...). After all, there are already voice commands for "Call", "Dial" and "Phone".

Last edited:
Reactions: Yev000
I agree, when the phone is ringing I would have no exception that I would need to mute music, I would expect pressing the left wheel to answer.

I would also like to see that when the wiper speed menu is on the screen the left wheel should move between states, like it does on the new Model S

I'd be happy to just use the left stalk click to wipe+bring up wiper menu, then subsequent presses toggle through the states.

Same button used to read/respond to text messages logically should be used to answer/hang up calls - its already being used for 'telephony/messaging' functions