Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Only Tesla can do the alignment??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did my own alignment on my Model 3 after Tesla SC and an shop that specializes in alignments couldn't get the steering wheel straight and the toe correct. I use special laser tool for the toe that is incredibly accurate, and a super accurate camber/caster tool.

There's nothing that needs to be done with a scanner. The Tesla is self calibrating for the centering of the steering wheel. I have the actual Tesla Model 3 Shop Manual that confirms there's nothing that needs to be done to calibrate the car after an alignment.

I went with specs very close to zero toe on the front and rear, and the car drives and brakes great. And with the toe set properly, my tires got a lot quieter. I was rubbing away tread with the toe settings those "pro" bozos had on my car.
What tools are you using? pls

I got new tires and asked for an alignment. The tire shop said they can't do the alignment because they need the OEM scanner specific to the Tesla, which they don't have. They said to do the alignment at the Tesla SC. Anyone know anything about this? My model 3 is from Sept, 2018, VIN 059xxx.
Go to a place that does race car alignments where the technicians know about alignment angles and what works. It will cost more than then the cheap places, but it will be worth it. There's no magic to Tesla alignments. What I think they mean is that their alignment machine doesn't have the Tesla specs (probably because they haven't updated the software in a very long time).

Go to a place that does race car alignments where the technicians know about alignment angles and what works. It will cost more than then the cheap places, but it will be worth it. There's no magic to Tesla alignments. What I think they mean is that their alignment machine doesn't have the Tesla specs (probably because they haven't updated the software in a very long time).

It might cost less, I use a mom and pop shop. I don't have my Tesla yet but they didn't blink an eye to align a lowered BMW i3, they've done 3 of them for me and a Leaf. $89.

It might cost less, I use a mom and pop shop. I don't have my Tesla yet but they didn't blink an eye to align a lowered BMW i3, they've done 3 of them for me and a Leaf. $89.
The important point is that they know about alignment angles and don't just do it without some actual thought. Since I don't know which shops do and don't have expertise, I'm fairly confident that any shop which does race car alignment has to know about the alignment angles, what each one does, and how to align for the best performance (whether that be lap times or tire life, performance can have several meanings).

Reactions: imola.zhp
The important point is that they know about alignment angles and don't just do it without some actual thought. Since I don't know which shops do and don't have expertise, I'm fairly confident that any shop which does race car alignment has to know about the alignment angles, what each one does, and how to align for the best performance (whether that be lap times or tire life, performance can have several meanings).

Yes, this place does a lot of high-end cars in my area. It is very highly rated in the "gear-head" community.

Reactions: jerry33
Large volume sale of model 3 only started ~2 years and these vehicles are only now needing alignments. I think it will take a while for the shops to catch up, especially since there seems to be an anti-Tesla bias.

There is nothing special or revolutionary about the suspension on a Tesla 3. Any alignment shop ought to be able to do the work without any head scratching.

Best,

When I tried to get my tires aligned, as the inside was wearing badly, I was told there was no camber adjustment. I later had a Ranger visit and he confirmed there is no camber adjustment in the Model 3. So for those who have aligned how does one adjust Camber?
Fortunately my Toe was fine.

When I tried to get my tires aligned, as the inside was wearing badly, I was told there was no camber adjustment. I later had a Ranger visit and he confirmed there is no camber adjustment in the Model 3. So for those who have aligned how does one adjust Camber?

Many cars have no OEM camber adjustment. There are aftermarket parts available at the usual Tesla enthusiast sites which allow caster/camber adjustment in both the front and rear.

https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/product/mpp-model3-fuca/
https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/product/tm3-ruca/
https://www.mountainpassperformance.com/product/mpp-model-3-rear-toe-arms/

Best,

Tell the ranger to read the Tesla Shop Manual. It shows you how to make adjustments to the camber. Not really surprised he didn't know because Rangers don't do alignments.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and P3D-R
I did my own alignment on my Model 3 after Tesla SC and an shop that specializes in alignments couldn't get the steering wheel straight and the toe correct. I use special laser tool for the toe that is incredibly accurate, and a super accurate camber/caster tool.

There's nothing that needs to be done with a scanner. The Tesla is self calibrating for the centering of the steering wheel. I have the actual Tesla Model 3 Shop Manual that confirms there's nothing that needs to be done to calibrate the car after an alignment.

I went with specs very close to zero toe on the front and rear, and the car drives and brakes great. And with the toe set properly, my tires got a lot quieter. I was rubbing away tread with the toe settings those "pro" bozos had on my car.

Totally agree with you. The factory alignment is asking for inefficiency across the board and wear out tires prematurely. I've had many Model S clients with 21" stock wheels that hated replacing tires every year. They never realized the alignment was the culprit. I think all new Tesla owners should go and get an alignment to "good spec" because the factory setup is horrible.

As for centering of the steering wheel mine was never centered out of the factory. I wonder why it didn't "self calibrate" I didn't stress about it because I could do my own alignment and set my toe correctly. The alignment was so far off. Had a huge thrust angle in the rear and the front toe wasn't set with a centered steering wheel. Not to mention having camber biased in a way where it will make the car drift to the right.

Many cars have no OEM camber adjustment. There are aftermarket parts available at the usual Tesla enthusiast sites which allow caster/camber adjustment in both the front and rear.

MPP Corkscrew Model 3/Y Front Upper Control Arms | Mountain Pass Performance
MPP Arastradero Model 3/Y Rear Camber Arms | Mountain Pass Performance
MPP Arastradero Model 3/Y Rear Toe Arms | Mountain Pass Performance

Best,

There is no factory camber adjustment in the rear. However, there is a small amount of adjustment up front. It's an unconventional adjustment and requires removal of the frunk but it is there. I assure you.

I am referencing this photo from unplugged performance spring install guide. It's a great image to illustrate where the front camber adjustment is.

See the highlighted circles below. These four points is how the "carrier" for the control arm and shock bolt into the chassis. Oddly enough Tesla has allowed the holes to be larger than the bolts' OD's. As a result there is room to shift the assembly in a couple directions. Because it's a circle it will ever so slightly adjust your caster as well. If you're patient enough you can get your #'s to match up pretty well. This is synonymous with a "camber plate" on a more traditional macpherson strut type application. It's really a trippy design. Audi is similar to this but they don't leave slop in the chassis mounting holes.

Unplugged-Performance-Installation-Guide-Coilover-Suspension-Kit-Tesla-Model-3-04.jpg

To add to this. I have found in all the model 3's I've seen alignments on that the passenger side needs to be pushed inward = more negative camber, and the driver side pulled towards the fender = more positive camber. In doing so the #'s seem to line up. The chassis seem to have a negative camber bias on the driver side.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
There is no factory camber adjustment in the rear. However, there is a small amount of adjustment up front. It's an unconventional adjustment and requires removal of the frunk but it is there. I assure you.

I am referencing this photo from unplugged performance spring install guide. It's a great image to illustrate where the front camber adjustment is.

See the highlighted circles below. These four points is how the "carrier" for the control arm and shock bolt into the chassis. Oddly enough Tesla has allowed the holes to be larger than the bolts' OD's. As a result there is room to shift the assembly in a couple directions. Because it's a circle it will ever so slightly adjust your caster as well. If you're patient enough you can get your #'s to match up pretty well. This is synonymous with a "camber plate" on a more traditional macpherson strut type application. It's really a trippy design. Audi is similar to this but they don't leave slop in the chassis mounting holes.

Unplugged-Performance-Installation-Guide-Coilover-Suspension-Kit-Tesla-Model-3-04.jpg
Only problem is that there's barely any play there - it amounts to "a little bit." For proper adjustment range, aftermarket parts are the only way to go.

Next time any "pro" tells you with unflappable confidence that there's *no* adjustment for camber/caster on the Model 3, tell them to have themselves fired.

Yes, you adjust front camber/caster by moving the FUCA (Front upper control arm) mount.

upload_2020-10-23_12-27-2.png

And the rear camber is done by adjusting several linkages until you get what you need (not enough to deal with heavily dropped cars, which is why there's an aftermarket, but if you're close to stock height, this will get you where you need to be).

upload_2020-10-23_12-28-31.png

upload_2020-10-23_12-28-47.png

upload_2020-10-23_12-29-0.png

Last edited:
Next time any "pro" tells you with unflappable confidence that there's *no* adjustment for camber/caster on the Model 3, tell them to have themselves fired.

Yes, you adjust front camber/caster by moving the FUCA (Front upper control arm) mount.

View attachment 601690

And the rear camber is done by adjusting several linkages until you get what you need (not enough to deal with heavily dropped cars, which is why there's an aftermarket, but if you're close to stock height, this will get you where you need to be).

View attachment 601692

View attachment 601693

View attachment 601694

You rock. My kinda guy!!!!!!!

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
It's enough for any street car and allows you to equalize both sides up front which is a huge benefit in my opinion. Just pointing out that the adjustment is there.
Yeah for fine-tuning OE suspension, probably fine. When I put in my coilovers & got it aligned they told me it's "not enuff" but it's not like I want 0 camber up-front anyway, so whatever.

One guy mentioned "slotting the mounts" to get the camber "back in spec." That's how arsonists are born.

Reactions: P3D-R