Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario licence plate changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And so it is. Seems pretty innocuous to me. Or is that now going to be twisted into some sort of "bad" phrase that = Doug Ford?

Unless I missed it, I didn't see anything about the elimination of the front plate. And no mention at all about whether Green plates will still exist (that DOES worry me).

You're right, a place to grow is fairly innocuous. I also think it's bad, as it clearly leads to "A place to grow weed", which will lead to many snickers. But yes, it's not overly partisan. You did completely ignore the open for business making its way onto commercial plates though, well done. You also completely ignored everything I said in my reply on this, but somehow found your way into giving it a thumbs down.

You are an ideologue. I have an opinion, but can acknowledge Doug Ford when he makes a decision that may be good for the province. His decision on the personal plates is innocuous, and I'm not against his subway plan simply because John Tory doesn't like it. You on the other hand, cannot see past your hand in front of your face.

Last edited:
California is allowing ppl to choose from predetermined colour templates for a charge now, so they have multiple colour combinations in use. They have a black on black which looks really good.

Most US states have different options available - for an additional price. That said, neither black on black or white on white will ever be available as I'm joking about making plates "invisible/illegible".

Now, if they offered plates with a Tesla Red background... :cool:

Reactions: I am 3LECTRIC
White on Blue has been used in the past, as has other schemes. The underlying theme, of course, is that it's about returning to the "good ol' days" from the 1950s such as Ford and Trump like to reference. I'm surprised Ford hasn't made "Make Ontario Great Again" his catchphrase.
It looks like the last time that something other than blue on white or white on blue was used was in 1964. This plate is not unlike truck plates of recent years.
Canada_Ontario_license_plate_1964_graphic.png

From 1965-1972 they alternated blue on white and white on blue. Since 1973 we have had the blue on white for most vehicles.

As I said above, I hope they keep the front plate. It makes it way easier to find an Uber/Lyft vehicle if a car has a front plate.

Reactions: mrElbe
An easy way to say Ford has done "something". Innocuous, maybe - but with everything else on the table why are license plates and the Trillium design so important? It's a deflection from the budget.

I agree that it was kind of bizarre to make it a budget related item. AFAIK, these types of things were just done in the normal course of business in the past.

...You also completely ignored everything I said in my reply on this, but somehow found your way into giving it a thumbs down.

I simply decided that it wasn't worth getting into a heated debate over something that, at the end of the day, is not Tesla related anyway. Life is too short. I do respect everyone's opinions here even if mine not always are.

Reactions: BBone and mrElbe
I agree that it was kind of bizarre to make it a budget related item. AFAIK, these types of things were just done in the normal course of business in the past.

It is bizarre because all the "good news" announcements are about deflecting from the reality of the budget at hand. I won't say that the PCs are the only ones to deflect from issues - NDP's Horwath "Satisfied with the election results" while losing seats, Liberals with the Gas Plant scandal, and the list goes on and on and on... I think, though, it's necessary to point it out and to hope for more integrity in government (unfortunately I'm a pessimist as it's all becoming sound bites and BS).

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
It is bizarre because all the "good news" announcements are about deflecting from the reality of the budget at hand. I won't say that the PCs are the only ones to deflect from issues - NDP's Horwath "Satisfied with the election results" while losing seats, Liberals with the Gas Plant scandal, and the list goes on and on and on... I think, though, it's necessary to point it out and to hope for more integrity in government (unfortunately I'm a pessimist as it's all becoming sound bites and BS).
Integrity isn't what the Fords are known for.

Up coming Federal election is going to be MCGA vs Young(ish) People. . .
I think that is a bit simplistic. JT has done serious damage to his, and the Liberal party's, credibility with the SNC-Lavalin affair, and other issues. Lots of people who are not MCGA types will want to get rid of Trudeau - not unlike many folks wanting to get rid of Wynne in Ontario. And Alberta is seriously pissed at the Liberals as well.

Many folks that will be in favour of EVs and green policies will be voting against the Libs and many of those votes will go to the Conservaties.

I think that is a bit simplistic. JT has done serious damage to his, and the Liberal party's, credibility with the SNC-Lavalin affair, and other issues. Lots of people who are not MCGA types will want to get rid of Trudeau - not unlike many folks wanting to get rid of Wynne in Ontario. And Alberta is seriously pissed at the Liberals as well.

Many folks that will be in favour of EVs and green policies will be voting against the Libs and many of those votes will go to the Conservaties.

No way in hell am I voting PCs after Ford's lack of policy win in Ontario. Baffles my mind people would blindly trust someone with no credentials or ability to make sound decisions.

Alberta is always pissed at the Liberals, it's what they do lol...

• Funny
Reactions: 03DSG
It would be a great experiment. Vote the Green party in and see what happens. Will they continue pursuing their mandate or bend to the will of the status quo and show they are no better than any other party? In some respects, Canada has already missed the boat on being a leader in the green technology revolution, preferring to support a carbon economy. None of the big 3 are going to change that very much and I suspect that even the Green party would have their hands full though I'd like to see them try.

Unfortunately, compared to many other oil producing countries, we aren't generating the same revenues. If we were, it would be easier to channel a lot more into emerging green industries (presuming there was a party in power that was responsible enough to do so).

I think we're at a bit of a crossroads as a nation. Building more pipelines might have been a good idea a decade or more ago so that we'd have an infrastructure to sell oil at market prices but investing in all that now seems a little desperate given the push to keep it in the ground.