Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario overnight ultra low rate announced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nov 1 2023 rates are out
Unfortunately for myself I was only able to get 1 month of current ULO rates in 2023

Ultra-Low Overnight (ULO)

ULO Price PeriodsAll YearULO Prices (¢/kWh)
Ultra-Low OvernightEvery day 11 p.m. - 7 a.m.2.8
Weekend Off-PeakWeekends and holidays 7 a.m. – 11 p.m.8.7
Mid-PeakWeekdays 7 a.m. – 4 p.m. and 9 p.m. to 11 p.m.12.2
On-PeakWeekdays 4 p.m. – 9 p.m.28.6
It looks like rates are up across the board - TOU is now 8.7, 12.2 and 18.2. The delta between the ULO period and other periods has increased, but you really want to avoid that 4-9 time. But that is hard to do with lighting during the winter.

In areas where electricity is generated by Hydro, going to solar will have little benefit.

The cost is already low, and turning a water wheel causes little pollution.
True, except that it should shave CO2 emissions during the peaks. Solar generation should be best during sunny days when demand is highest due to air conditioning. And Ontario uses NatGas to meet peak demand.

you really want to avoid that 4-9 time. But that is hard to do with lighting during the winter.
Lighting is a small thing compared to "fuelling' my car -- both of which are increased in the winter. But everyone will have a different calculus, depending on how much they drive, how big their family is, and the general efficiency of their electrical use (lights, HVAC, appliances, etc).

I agree. I have been an early adopter of ULO and it does appear to be saving me money. I am also trying to push more and more of my energy usage to the overnight window, like putting a timer on my hot tub so that my heater runs in the cheaper hours.

I agree. I have been an early adopter of ULO and it does appear to be saving me money. I am also trying to push more and more of my energy usage to the overnight window, like putting a timer on my hot tub so that my heater runs in the cheaper hours.

I'm with Alectra and for some reason live Smart Meter chart's aren't available on ULO rates so I can't see what I use between 4pm and 9pm.
Guess I'll have to wait a month to see how things go.

Is it possible to use one of these battery packs without solar to power the house only during On-Peak and have the battery re-charge Off-Peak through grid power ?
Yes, but you don't make a ton on that. The differential in pricing is $0.214 per hour on weekdays. The packs are 13.5kWh. So if you did that arbitrage every day you would save $1.50/day on weekdays. On weekends the diff is only $0.05/hour so you would make $0.35/day. This assumes that you fully charge at the cheap period and fully discharge over the expensive period. So over a year you would save $821. I think the cost of Powerwall installation starts at $18k because you need the batter pack plus an inverter. And if you did this on a regular basis then you wouldn't have power in the battery to act as a power backup if the power outage came in the evening after you had discharged your battery.

Reactions: Donuts and zknobody
No, I haven't had higher home insurance rates. Are some people seeing that?

In terms of current solar installations in Ontario - my understanding is that if you are on net metering then you have to go on the tiered rate, not ULO or TOU. Tiered rates are $0.087 and $0.103. So if I am understanding it correctly the most you will save is $0.103/kWh, plus the various other charges like distribution and transmission fees that are a few cents per kWh.

That's not correct. I have a pretty big solar system in midtown Toronto. I'm on the ULO plan - and when I generate more electricity than I use it gets sold back to the grid at the then tiered rate (e.g., if it's in the 4-9 window it will be sold back at the high rate ($0.24/kWh).

That's not correct. I have a pretty big solar system in midtown Toronto. I'm on the ULO plan - and when I generate more electricity than I use it gets sold back to the grid at the then tiered rate (e.g., if it's in the 4-9 window it will be sold back at the high rate ($0.24/kWh).
Thanks. It looks like this changed earlier in 2023: https://www.hydroone.com/businessse...Option-for-Net-Metered-Customers-20230117.pdf

Have you done the math for the three options that you have for generation - tiered, TOU and ULO?

I guess it depends on the orientation of the panels, but my panels do better through the earlier part of the day and not as much later in the day, even during the summer. Here is my production on June 20. I produced about 9kWh from 4-9. So I wouldn't produce much during the highest rate hours. Not that I would want to switch from microFIT anyhow as I am selling all production at $0.38/kWh.
1698328450912.png

The TOU rates make no sense if anyone in your home has a job that's all work-from-home. The energy used for HVAC and other amenities during the day ends up consuming too much in the most expensive tier for the plan to make sense.

I am a work-from-home employee and use the tiered rate, which is either of 2 prices... below versus beyond 1000 kWh.

I definitely wish there was a way to get the ultra low rate at night regardless.. 😔

The TOU rates make no sense if anyone in your home has a job that's all work-from-home. The energy used for HVAC and other amenities during the day ends up consuming too much in the most expensive tier for the plan to make sense.

I am a work-from-home employee and use the tiered rate, which is either of 2 prices... below versus beyond 1000 kWh.

I definitely wish there was a way to get the ultra low rate at night regardless.. 😔

I agree, the UL rate was certainly designed to keep us from drawing energy at peak times however I did do the math and even with 2 of us working from home I am saving about $10 a month vs tiered pricing

I think in my case I'm only able to save a few bucks because we have a GAS range otherwise it would of been a wash and when summer hits I'll probably switch back to tiered because the AC will run longer after 4pm!

I am not so sure that you are correct. I am not WFH but my HVAC is still running at a similar temp all day, and gas heating doesn't take much electricity so the main issue there is AC in the summer months. And the high rate under ULO isn't really during working hours as it is 4-9.

But if you have an EV and are large house you will be over 1000kWh, at which point you're paying $0.125/kWh. With ULO the rate is $0.028/kWh. That's a pretty big savings for car charging and you can normally charge you car at the ULO rate 100% of the time.

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ and funix
I agree, the UL rate was certainly designed to keep us from drawing energy at peak times ...
I find it interesting that the peak times are different under ULO (4-9pm) vs TOU(7-11am,5-7pm). 7-9pm is the cheapest time under TOU but the most expensive under ULO. At least in the winter. So they are incentivizing TOU people to use electricity from 7-9. but penalizing ULO people from using it at the same time.

Off-topic, but.. I want to ask you, how is your energy production in the winter? And does snow accumulate on the panels that results in no production? How much of your solar power is offsetting / charging your Tesla?

Production in the winter is crap. I generate about 6X more power in June, than December. Snow on the panels can be an issue, but it normally melts after a few days. That hasn't been an issue this winter, but there was almost no sun from Dec 21 until yesterday so I only produced a minimal amount of power over that ~2 week period.

My solar panels are on what is called microFIT. I earn $0.381/kWh for what I sell to the grid, and then I buy electricity like anyone else. There is no real connection between my production and my usage. I am probably producing more than I use in my Tesla, but I don't drive a ton, only about 12,000km per year. Even if you could directly power your car from your panels you may not want to do that given differences in prices at different times of day. You are producing power when it is expensive during the day but overnight, when electricity is cheap, is the best time to charge. So you likely want to offset peak energy pricing during the day with your solar production which peaks at roughly noon and charge your car overnight. Not that you have any control over when the sun shines.

1704484106287.png

My wife and I both work from home and TOU (not ULTOU) still works out to be cheaper for me. I check my HydroOne portal monthly to see how close it was to the Tiered rate and it’s always about $10-$15 cheaper. This includes me using HVAC and even running the dishwasher most days after 11am and the washer/dryer occasionally as well.