Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Oops, hit a curb, now the car drifts right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very sadly, I managed to scrape a curb with my right rear wheel when rounding a corner into parking lot. Speed was 10 to 15mph max. It really took me by surprise and of course was very frustrating on many levels. Not the least of which was concern over tire damage and an ugly scar on my new wheels. Delivery March '19.

Upon inspection, I see that I only grazed the wheel, and never touched the tire. I figured it sounded worse than it was until I started my drive back home. Once on the free way and before engaging the TACC I noticed a subtle but consistent and definite drift to the right.

I'm certainly considering making a service appointment but my experience in ICE cars is that it is the front end that causes such a pull/drift in one direction.

I wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? Looking forward to your responses.

Very sadly, I managed to scrape a curb with my right rear wheel when rounding a corner into parking lot. Speed was 10 to 15mph max. It really took me by surprise and of course was very frustrating on many levels. Not the least of which was concern over tire damage and an ugly scar on my new wheels. Delivery March '19.

Upon inspection, I see that I only grazed the wheel, and never touched the tire. I figured it sounded worse than it was until I started my drive back home. Once on the free way and before engaging the TACC I noticed a subtle but consistent and definite drift to the right.

I'm certainly considering making a service appointment but my experience in ICE cars is that it is the front end that causes such a pull/drift in one direction.

I wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? Looking forward to your responses.

Most of us have been there and done that! It's a major ouch and a Bummer. Very believable that you would knock the car severely out of alignment. Can you attach a picture of the wheel? We can see a little bit of the impact Dynamics from that.

Most of us have been there and done that! It's a major ouch and a Bummer. Very believable that you would knock the car severely out of alignment. Can you attach a picture of the wheel? We can see a little bit of the impact Dynamics from that.

Attachments

• wheel scrape.jpg
    wheel scrape.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 1,316
nope tried it on plenty different surfaces. Thanks i wish it was.

Sorry to say, but it happens unfortunately. Get it checked out ASAP.

In January, I slid on some ice and banged the RF wheel of my Cadillac into a curb. Only doing about 10mph - no more than that.

Hit at the correct angle to, in the mechanic's words, "mangle" the lower control arm. Ended up having it towed to the shop; it was undriveable. You can see how far back in the wheel well the wheel actually is. Ended up costing me $1200 - $900 for the LCA + replacement, and another $300 for a refurbished wheel; those gouges were deep enough into the aluminum that they weren't repairable. (I kept the gouged wheel as the damage is just cosmetic - my mechanic spun it and it balanced fine. It's also the same bolt pattern and diameter as my wife's Enclave wheels; just slightly different spoke pattern. For a spare tire, it's perfect.)

Spit happens, even at low speed. And it stinks.

IMG_1869.jpg

This situation is not unique to a Tesla. Happens to any car.

update, Had the car in for an alignment check. The right rear was found to be out of alignment and was subsequently realigned. Tesla service techs produce a nice chart showing the before and after alignment results. Took about two hours. However when test driving after the service the car now had a drift to the left. Darn. i went immediately back. The tech test drove and verified the left drift. More alignment checks, wheel switching, lock to lock tests and tire balancing. None of which resolved the left drift.

More research revealed that in the presence of the right drift the Tesla began recalibrating. Once the alignment issue was resolved the new calibration resulted in the left turning tendency. The fix, drive it.

update, Had the car in for an alignment check. The right rear was found to be out of alignment and was subsequently realigned. Tesla service techs produce a nice chart showing the before and after alignment results. Took about two hours. However when test driving after the service the car now had a drift to the left. Darn. i went immediately back. The tech test drove and verified the left drift. More alignment checks, wheel switching, lock to lock tests and tire balancing. None of which resolved the left drift.

More research revealed that in the presence of the right drift the Tesla began recalibrating. Once the alignment issue was resolved the new calibration resulted in the left turning tendency. The fix, drive it.

Good info, so the system needs to re-calibrate once after an alignment?

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: ksb467 and outdoors