Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping for some help from the smart folks here.

My OVMS worked flawless for a year...now it won't work.

If I had to give an option of what's wrong, based on the symptoms, I'd say that AT&T is no longer passing GPRS data...but I'm told that they "haven't yet" shut down 2G service.

SMS works fine. I can poll the module (via text) and get accurate responses.

But, the Android app doesn't work (and shows that it hasn't connected to the vehicle in 90+ days).

When I do a GPRS? poll, I get..

GPRS:
APN:wap.cingular
User:
Password:
GSM:AT&T
GSM/GPRS: Not connected (0x0041)

I'm on the "expensive" AT&T Go Phone plan...and my account is up-to-date and in good standing.

Nothing changed...it just stopped working one day, and has never worked since.

I've tried resetting the module (both with the RESET command and by physically disconnecting it, waiting, then reconnecting it. I've tried redoing all of the settings, I've tried taking it out of Paranoid mode.

Frankly, I'm out of ideas and hoping others here might have some.

The server IP just changed. You need to change the server in the OVMS via text message to: api.openvehicles.com
You also need to change the server address in the app to: api.openvehicles.com

The server IP just changed. You need to change the server in the OVMS via text message to: api.openvehicles.com
You also need to change the server address in the app to: api.openvehicles.com

First off, thanks for any help with this!

I saw that notification this morning. Alas, this is a problem I've been having for like 6-8 weeks so, it's not that. However, I did change the server name on both the module and the app (made no difference...still no-workie)

Read the thread

"OVMS blocked on low cost ATT plans"

Again, thanks for the help.

I've been following that thread. However, I'm not on the "low cost" AT&T plan, I'm on the "expensive" one. My plan seemed to be unaffected by these issues (at least until now).

Is ANYONE still using AT&T Go Phone (for any price) and still has a working OVMS?

I just received this email from Mark which likely explains why your OVMS isn't working. Mine stopped working today as well. You need to change some settings.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attn: OVMS user of tmc.openvehicles.com

The Server IP address for tmc.openvehicles.com has been changed, and the OVMS module ServerIP setting in your car needs to be changed to match.

We are also taking this opportunity to switch to using DNS names, rather than IP addresses.

We now recommend that you set parameter #4 (SERVERIP) on your cars to:

api.openvehicles.com

We also recommend that you change the corresponding OVMS server in your Android and iOS Apps to the same:

api.openvehicles.com

Going forward, we will be exclusively using that new DNS name for vehicle and App services. By using DNS names, you will not have to worry about future changes to IP addresses we use.

The new server IP is 202.52.43.80 (the old was 54.197.255.127).

If your OVMS module is currently connected to the server, we’ll do this change automatically for you, and there is nothing further you need to do. However, if your car is currently offline, then you may have to manually change this yourself (as we can’t change it remotely for offline cars).

Note that in approximately 24 hours time, the old server IP will be shutdown and no longer available, so we recommend you do this before that time.

Regards,
Mark Webb-Johnson
Open Vehicles

However, I am not clear on how to change the OVMS setting in my iPhone app. It's been over a year since I set it up. When I go to the Setting screen in the app I don't see where to do it.

It's on Settings (The Apple App)>[Scroll Down to each individual App]>Open Vehicles>[Second set under OVMS Server]>[used to be tmc.openvehicles.com, change this]api.openvehicles.com

Port is 6867.

Hope that helps.

I just received this email from Mark which likely explains why your OVMS isn't working. Mine stopped working today as well. You need to change some settings.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be my problem.

I saw this same message this morning and was extremely hopeful that this was the issue I was having...but it's not.

Again, this isn't a problem I've just started having "in the last day or two"...I haven't had a working app in weeks, maybe a month or two. The car has been stuck at the service center for over a month so, I haven't bothered dealing with it until now.

It was working one day and, then it stopped working...and has never worked since. No changes were made (either to the app settings or the module settings).

According to the app (on my Android phone), the data on the app is "90 days" old.

I would imagine if the OVMS guys made a change and no one with OVMS had a working connection for the past 90 days, it would have been brought up here.

Would really love it if one of the OVMS guys themselves chimed in and could point me in the right direction (I sent them and e-mail but no response as of yet).

It's on Settings (The Apple App)>[Scroll Down to each individual App]>Open Vehicles>[Second set under OVMS Server]>[used to be tmc.openvehicles.com, change this]api.openvehicles.com
Port is 6867.
On my iPhone 6 running iOS 9.3.1 when I go to the main Settings page and scroll down the OVMS apps does not appear in the app list. Bizarrely, almost all the apps I have installed on my phone do not appear. The only ones listed are what come with the iOS. I have a lot of other apps, and they used to be there, but now they are gone.

On my iPad I do see all my apps when I scroll down the main Settings screen, but of course OVMS isn't there because it's not available on the iPad.

On my iPhone 6 running iOS 9.3.1 when I go to the main Settings page and scroll down the OVMS apps does not appear in the app list. Bizarrely, almost all the apps I have installed on my phone do not appear. The only ones listed are what come with the iOS. I have a lot of other apps, and they used to be there, but now they are gone.

On my iPad I do see all my apps when I scroll down the main Settings screen, but of course OVMS isn't there because it's not available on the iPad.

App is called Open Vehicles... I would suggest deleting and re-installing then. I've gone through 3 iPhones, 3 iPads, and an iPod Touch to update the server setting. (it's one of those apps that is on all our devices.)

As for Android (I have it installed on my BB, doesn't work for location and stuff that requires Google's base stuff) it's on the App settings itself.

Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be my problem.

I saw this same message this morning and was extremely hopeful that this was the issue I was having...but it's not.

Again, this isn't a problem I've just started having "in the last day or two"...I haven't had a working app in weeks, maybe a month or two. The car has been stuck at the service center for over a month so, I haven't bothered dealing with it until now.

It was working one day and, then it stopped working...and has never worked since. No changes were made (either to the app settings or the module settings).

According to the app (on my Android phone), the data on the app is "90 days" old.

I would imagine if the OVMS guys made a change and no one with OVMS had a working connection for the past 90 days, it would have been brought up here.

Would really love it if one of the OVMS guys themselves chimed in and could point me in the right direction (I sent them and e-mail but no response as of yet).

Most likely the AT&T data issue - it stopped in mid-November on the low-cost plans. I bet they turned it off 12/31 on all plans.

I would recommend you move to H2O Wireless ($10 for 3 months).

Last edited:
App is called Open Vehicles... I would suggest deleting and re-installing then. I've gone through 3 iPhones, 3 iPads, and an iPod Touch to update the server setting. (it's one of those apps that is on all our devices.)
I rebooted my iPhone 3 times and finally all my apps showed up on the Settings screen. Weird. I made the necessary change in Open Vehicles and now my app shows my car info. Thanks!

Can you double check the SERVER? setting? Make sure it is 'api.openvehicles.com', as that changed yesterday.

If still no luck, look at:

Support FAQ | Open Vehicles

and run through the steps there. Also make sure you have at least US$10 on the mobile account.

Also, on your smartphone App make sure you are using the same api.openvehicles.com as the OVMS server.

*big sigh

So, I bought an H2O sim card. Got it activated. Got data and SMS working on it. However, the app STILL is acting wonky (and is basically worthless at this point).

It only shows the car as UNLOCKED...so I can't unlock it. If I hit the button and enter the pin, it'll lock the car. However, the app won't update to show the car is locked. So, all I can do is lock it again, and again and again. It also shows that I have no temps, and no TPMS installed. And shows no battery or charging data.

Oh, and the car is apparently located about 100 miles off the coast of Ghana. (it's not; it's in my driveway, in Virginia)

Everything says it's working fine. I'm connected to GPRS, I'm connected to the server, the app is talking to the server/car. But, it doesn't actually work!

Mark....HELP!!!!!

Screenshot_2016-04-08-19-02-29.png
Screenshot_2016-04-08-19-02-14.png
Screenshot_2016-04-08-19-02-10.png

Mark....HELP!!!!!

Really hard to help on these public forums, as I need private information (like vehicleid, response from SMS messages, etc).

Generic advise is:

Can you double check the SERVER? setting? Make sure it is 'api.openvehicles.com', as that changed yesterday.

and run through the steps there. If not working, let me have the responses to the SMS messages listed at the end of that article. Also make sure you have at least US$10 on the mobile account.

Also, on your smartphone App make sure you are using the same api.openvehicles.com as the OVMS server.

Really hard to help on these public forums, as I need private information (like vehicleid, response from SMS messages, etc).

Generic advise is:

and run through the steps there. If not working, let me have the responses to the SMS messages listed at the end of that article. Also make sure you have at least US$10 on the mobile account.

Everyone keeps coming back to the "check to make sure you changed it to 'api.openvehicles.com', as that recently changed." Just to be clear A) yes, I've changed it on both the module and the Android app and, I think more telling B) this problem started 6 weeks ago...not 3 days ago.

Here's what I'm getting back from queries for GPRS? and SERVER? (these are copied and pasted....so no opportunity for a typo)

GPRS:
APN:att.mvno
User:
Password:
GSM:AT&T
GPRS: OK
Server: Connected OK

Server:
IP:api.openvehicles.com
Password:{redacted}
Paranoid:p

As for troubleshooting this in the open forum; I tried sending an e-mail to [email protected]...that was 8 days ago; no response. That's why I'm talking about it here. If there's a more direct conduit for troubleshooting this, I'm all for it. You can e-mail me, PM me, whatever.

According to the device (via SMS), it's connected to the server. According to the app (via the "LIVE" icon) the app is connected to the server. I'm getting NO error messages. Everything is working 100% flawlessly...except that it doesn't work. I honestly don't know how to troubleshoot it any further. I've printed out the Roadster OVMS guide and I started from zero. I did a 100% complete setup. It simply doesn't work. I've even cleared out all cache and saved data from the app, and 100% set that up from scratch as well.

Hi

I have my OVMS module for several years. It failed to work, some months ago.

I tried to make it work again today, in vain.

I changed to the new server in the app and tried to change it by SMS in the module

The green LED blinks normally, the SIM card should be loaded.

When I send an SMS to the module, I get only a correct response with the question
STAT?

All the other questions:Server? / Module? / GPRS? / DIAG? don’t get any answer.

Any ideas?

I've got an email from Mitrovic, so will follow up there.

Let's try a 'conversation' with Habious, because I've really got no ideas what the problem is.

A big thank you to Markwj for taking the time with me last night to get it all sorted!

It works!

No matter what I did, I couldn't get AT&T working so I switched to H2O and, with a few settings tweakings, got it all working again, 100%!

Reactions: markwj