Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably.

Fix is in bleeding 'edge' release now (3.2.008-115-gb01f815), but probably safest to wait for the 'eap' or 'main' releases that will appear over-the-air within the next week or two.

I tried both 'config ota tag eap' and 'config ota eap' to get the EAP release and both came back with 'Unrecognized command' error.

Is there some syntax nuance I'm missing?

Also, while on the subject of updates, is there a possibility of OVMS soon being able to reset the TPMS numbers when switching wheels, or is that far off in the future if at all? Just wondering. Thanks!

Have been working on this with a few users. At the moment, it looks like extra hardware will be required as the TPMS module uses K-line to program/read IDs. The protocol has been reverse engineered already, so now looking at the hardware side. Looks like it will need a very small expansion board in the module to add K-line support.

I've been having a LARGE increase in data usage the last couple weeks. Looking at the hologram dashboard I'm using about 5 times as much data as normal. I've had long stretches where there is no OVMS server from the app during this time also. Some days use like 8 Mbytes of data. I'm sure this is not supposed to happen. Seems like maybe when the OVMS server is down, there are high costs for the car to reconnect.

Anyone else seen this recently?

Attachments

• FebUsage.pdf
    56.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Janusage.pdf
    59.9 KB · Views: 38
I've been having a LARGE increase in data usage the last couple weeks. Looking at the hologram dashboard I'm using about 5 times as much data as normal. I've had long stretches where there is no OVMS server from the app during this time also. Some days use like 8 Mbytes of data. I'm sure this is not supposed to happen. Seems like maybe when the OVMS server is down, there are high costs for the car to reconnect.

Anyone else seen this recently?

What version of hardware and firmware are you using? Please send your vehicle ID to me by PM/email, and I will have a look at what the server sees. We haven't had much downtime of the server recently.

Reactions: drewski
@markwj how comprehensive is the ability for OVMS to set configuration flags on a Roadster?

i did the Dual Blower Retrofit on my Roadster with parts from a wrecked car. The final step is changing a configuration flag. Can this be done with OVMS?

The steps from the Service Bulletin are shown below. Is Bus 4 the one that OVMS connects into? Does the "8359" in the dialog box have info to help?

Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 7.28.57 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 7.31.29 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-01 at 7.32.45 AM.png

@markwj how comprehensive is the ability for OVMS to set configuration flags on a Roadster?

i did the Dual Blower Retrofit on my Roadster with parts from a wrecked car. The final step is changing a configuration flag. Can this be done with OVMS?

The steps from the Service Bulletin are shown below. Is Bus 4 the one that OVMS connects into? Does the "8359" in the dialog box have info to help?

Sorry, but I don't think OVMS can help with this. We don't connect to CAN4 (not hard, but that is the only one we don't connect to). Even if we did, we don't know the CAN bus codes to set these configuration variables.

Perhaps Gruber or Medlock can assist? They may have the perl tools package.

Sorry, but I don't think OVMS can help with this. We don't connect to CAN4 (not hard, but that is the only one we don't connect to). Even if we did, we don't know the CAN bus codes to set these configuration variables.

Perhaps Gruber or Medlock can assist? They may have the perl tools package.

The Service Center can assist . . . for $500!

Unless @CM_007 or @petergrub has the tool and could loan to me, SC is probably cheaper than sending my car to WA or AZ, just for a config change.

Or maybe this is a signal that I should do a Double-DIN upgrade @ Carl's? ;)

I jumped into ordering the OVMS system without reading this entire thread. It was after I downloaded the install instructions while I wait for it to arrive did I find out it doesn't function with my cell phone carrier "Verizon". I checked with Mark in Hong Kong and he suggested user's here in the States would be more helpful. I am not looking to change carriers as Verizon has given me the best service here in AZ and almost the rest of the country. For what little I would use the system it just doesn't make sense. I don't drive my Roadster everyday, I thought it would be nice to have have the features it offered. Any thoughts would be appreciated.