Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was trying to get it to register with At&t this past week. They have a $15/month Tablet plan that provides 250mb of data/month which is a great deal for this application.

IF you use this plan the APN that you need to enter is: Broadband

I got this issue solved earlier today with several messages between me and the At&t retail person.

I see a core set of requirements, and then a large number of pet 'wants'. And, that is the whole point of the project - to serve as a common base that a large number of enthusiasts can get behind, so we can leverage each other's work.

Since installing OVMS, I have never needed to change charging mode remotely. But, the recent automatic parking feature came from one developer's requirement, same for Minimum SOC alerts - and I never thought I would need those either ;-)

I live quitebfar away from where I park the car on a regular basis. since it sites quite long times in storage mode it would be great to be able to change the charge mode to standard or range or..... from a distance so when I go and pick the car up it is ready with a full charge rather than me having to go and pick up and then drive home and immediately charge as I do now......

that as all and quite useful, at least in my case

thanks for all the great work

felix b.

I am working on a pass-through for the CAN busses. Would this be of interest to anyone who wants to use the OVMS (or Tattler) with their roadster?

Did you manage to find the car-side tyco connector?

I don't think it would be much use for production, but for development it would be nice to be able to easily hookup an analyser at the same time as the car module.

It would be interesting to see how this would compare to the native Apps.
it's open, free software , so you can try it without risk I think

PhoneGap is an open source implementation of open standards. That means developers and companies can use PhoneGap for mobile applications that are free, commercial, open source, or any combination of these.

I got it when "electriccarbuyer" told he used the application for OpenChargeMap.org : The open, global database of charging point information

We're inching towards a general end-user releasable version, and thought it would be good to give you all an update. Here is where we are:

• We've had an impressive developer rollout - getting roughly twice the numbers we expected. The OVMS hardware, server and apps have been performing well with no major problems found. The paypal ordering process went very cleanly, and shipping was mostly smooth. Most importantly, the cars continue to run just fine with the units in them, and feedback from Tesla Motors themselves has been very encouraging.
  • We have made arrangements for servers. We'll be launching with two servers - one bleeding edge for developers, and the other stable for production use. The production server is hosted in USA. We have also been kindly offered hosting for a third server in Europe, but will wait to see how the load on the main production USA server is first.
  • End-user and vehicle registration will be via a web front-end. One of the developers is working on this at the moment, and we should have news soon.
  • We have had some issues with the hardware manufacturing. Faulty soldering caused headaches for some of the early developers. Thankfully, this seems to be behind us now, and we have a good QC process in place to be able to test what the factory gives us. The QC involves special flash firmware and a QC board that simulates an actual Tesla Roadster and allows us to run the boards in a simulated real environment to ensure everything works as expected. Once in the cars, the units seem very reliable.
  • The recent decision on firmware features, and read-write mode, meant some delay. The final decision is that we are shipping the end-user units listen-only by default, but a very simple configuration switch can be set (in the Apps or by SMS message) to enable read-write mode and the extra functionality. More on the exact features, below.
  • We are almost ready to flash the first release-candidate of end-user firmware and get it running in the developer's cars. This should happen within the next few days.

From a feature list point of view, this is what we can do:

1. The OVMS car module goes into Tesla Roadsters, plugs into the DIAG port for power and car interface, and comes with a small adhesive external antenna for GSM reception.
  2. The end-user will need to add a GSM SIM card. If you only want SMS control, an SMS-only plan is ok, otherwise for data you will need 1MB-2MB a month for normal usage.
  3. SMS control is available to examine car status, GPS location, and to configure parameters and features.
  4. Apps are available for Android (in the Android marketplace) and iPhone/iPodTouch/iPad (in the Apple App Store). For Apple, iOS v5 software (or later) is required.
  5. Notification of charge completion/interruption and other ancillary messages is available via SMS and/or Android/Apple PUSH notification.
  6. The Apps provide access to car battery status (battery SOC, estimated range, ideal range, and parking meter).
  7. The Apps provide access to car environment status (door status, lock status, ambient temperature, PEM temperature, Motor temperature, Battery temperature) and TPMS pressures and temperatures. Some of this data is only available when the car is turned on, or running (e.g.; TPMS).
  8. The Apps provide access to car location (shown on a Google map, using the on-board GPS of the car).
  9. An optional stream mode will provide location streaming to connected apps (with corresponding increase in data usage), otherwise status and location data is provided once every ten minutes (normal) or every minute (when one or more Apps are connected to the car).
  10. A "Friends" mode appears as a "Friends" tab in the Apps. The car is set to send location, speed and battery SOC updates to a named friends group, and everyone with access to that group can see all the cars on one map screen. Great for multi-car families, events and meet-ups.
  11. Controls are available within the Apps to Start charging, Stop charging, set charge mode (standard, storage, range, performance), Lock the car, Unlock the car, Activate valet mode, Deactivate valet mode, Reset the car module, and provide for setting parameters and features. (* required read-write mode enabled)

So, what is remaining, and when can end-users get this?

Technically, the hardware is done. We need to finish the web site user vehicle registration system, get the the firmware through release candidate testing, and finalize the apps. This should all happen very soon now, and then we'll be able to open up OVMS to all of you.

Regards, Mark.

Sounds great! Do you want some more help on the graphics for the IOS app? if so please do PM me about it. If you have found other solutions that is fine as well. When ever you had the release candidates done and ready to ship please include me on the ship to list! had to go 100km in an ICE to re-configure from standard charge to storage mode just the other day since I was coming back to China........... Not a very environmental solution to a problem that I hope will soon be solved by you guys!!! GREAT WORK and as said elsewhere GREAT LEAD on this project

felix b.

Sounds great! Do you want some more help on the graphics for the IOS app?

Yes, please ;-) The work you did on the car outline looks amazing, and most appreciated.

Please help with whatever you feel needs improvement. In particular, the splash screen and icon could do with improvement.

When ever you had the release candidates done and ready to ship please include me on the ship to list! had to go 100km in an ICE to re-configure from standard charge to storage mode just the other day since I was coming back to China........... Not a very environmental solution to a problem that I hope will soon be solved by you guys!!! GREAT WORK and as said elsewhere GREAT LEAD on this project

I've got your name on the list, and I will PM/eMail when it is ready. We're getting real close now...

That is just cool.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Works well.

Two PICs on the board, each running the same code. When they transmit they flash green, when they receive they flash red. Then, a little diag port connector that taps into the CAN bus.

The neat bit is because there are two PICs already, the OVMS module plugged in can be in either LISTEN (read-only) or ACTIVE (read-write) modes - it makes no difference.

If you get a short or any sort of CAN bus problem, the lights stop flashing.

We have some simple firmware on the PICs that just repeatedly transmits messages that we've previously recorded on a roadster.

(apologies for the elevator music)

Last edited by a moderator:
A mailing list for developer discussions regarding OVMS has been setup. We hope it will help developers get more involved, and remain informed as to what we are doing.

This list will be used for technical discussions regarding the Roaster, it's CAN bus, and the OVMS project. Should other vehicle types join the project, we'll also discuss them here.

You can find the list at:

http://lists.teslaclub.hk/mailman/listinfo/ovmsdev

Membership is open and free.

Regards, Mark.

Just thought about a feature that you could add, after viewing the charging discussion video about the model S.

Selecting the hour by which the car should have finished charging! So the app can dial up or down the chargingrate to even it out over the whole selected time!