Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not getting some temps, why do you think that is?

IMG_0240.PNG

Where do you see the text message inside the iPhone app?

I first get the general alert on the iphone home screen at the top. When I launched the app, I think I remember seeing the message also appear at the top but would go away after a short time and I couldn't expand the message to see what was written. I may be remembering this incorrectly since it's been awhile since I've received one of those texts thankfully.

I'm not getting some temps, why do you think that is?

I was just getting ready to post this as well. I'm also no longer seeing the temps at the bottom.

Mark,

I thought you did something, because it suddenly started working. What I can tell you is that I was checking temperatures in my car while I was driving and it was still blank - as recently as 45 minutes ago. But just now, I was getting out and going to play with the remote locking function, and the temps were there.

In any case, working now. I'll get back to you if it stops for whatever reason.

I know Dave has an interest in temperatures in Fahrenheit, I'd like to chime in a say that those units would be easier for me to understand without me having to convert.

What I'd really like, but I'm afraid it would require additional hardware, is a way to remotely control the cabin temperature - specifically the A/C. It would be nice to pre-cool the cabin before having to get in.

IMG_0242.PNG

I'm think it's impossible to control the AC remotely without additional hardware (as you stated) according to Tesla at least. I asked them about the possibility of having the AC turn on each time the car is turned on and they said the mechanical button to turn the AC on must be pressed for some reason. Maybe there is a way to do it.

I'm still not seeing the PEM/Motor/Battery temps even after waking the car after touching the trunk icon. Not sure why it went away.

I thought you did something, because it suddenly started working. What I can tell you is that I was checking temperatures in my car while I was driving and it was still blank - as recently as 45 minutes ago. But just now, I was getting out and going to play with the remote locking function, and the temps were there.

As I was driving into work, I remembered the reason for this (see the "Investigating" comment in the notes from canbus_notes.txt in the quote below).

It appears (we can only guess from looking at CAN bus messages) that the VDS tells the VMS what it is interested in, and from that point on the VMS broadcasts the interested messages on the can bus. So, calling up the temperature screen on the VDS makes the VMS start transmitting temperature messages. If you never call up that screen, the messages are never sent. You fixed it yourself ;-)

How long does the VMS keep sending? Indefinitely, from what I can tell. there must be some 'deep sleep' event that would cause it to stop, but mine is certainly being sent and it has been months since I called up that screen.

It would be nice to be able to 'spoof' that message to say the VDS is looking at the temperature screen, but so far we don't have enough information on those messages to know for sure what they mean. I really don't like transmitting messages on the can bus if we don't know with 100% certainty what they do. If anyone wants to help out with this analysis, please do. The messages appear to be on can id 0x102, B1=0x06. Here is some data I've captured (from canbus_notes.txt):

Samples:
0.4166 102 06 10 27 00 10 00 00 00 VDS-> (message from VDS 06)
5.9171 102 06 10 27 00 10 00 00 00 VDS-> (message from VDS 06)
11.4773 102 06 10 27 00 10 00 00 00 VDS-> (message from VDS 06)
17.0587 102 06 10 27 00 10 00 00 00 VDS-> (message from VDS 06)
22.5380 102 06 10 27 00 10 00 00 00 VDS-> (message from VDS 06)

On switch to TRIP screen:
102,06,D0,07,00,00,01,80,00
On switch to TEMP screen:
102,06,2C,01,00,00,09,10,00
On switch to BATTERY screen
102,06,E8,03,00,00,01,00,00
On switch to GRAPH energy use screen

Investigating:
Car seems to suppress the id#100 B1=A3 temperature message until the TEMP screen is brought up.
Tried to send the 102,06,D0,07,00,00,01,80,00 message, and that appeared to start id#100 B1=A3 temperature message transmission.

If we could find the 'stop sending temperature readings' message, then testing the 'start sending temperature readings' message would be easier ;-)

In the new version of the iPhone App that we are working on, messages that are not updated go gray colour, and updated messages appear white. That makes it much easier to see if the car is actually updating something.

What I'd really like, but I'm afraid it would require additional hardware, is a way to remotely control the cabin temperature - specifically the A/C. It would be nice to pre-cool the cabin before having to get in.

Two issues:

1. The HVAC messages appear to be on a different bus than we are using.
  2. I suspect it is a physical hardware button that controls this.

OVMS can, theoretically, do anything that can be done from the VDS. Pre-cooling the car would be nice, but I don't think it is possible as it can't be done from the VDS.

If you never call up that screen, the messages are never sent. You fixed it yourself ;-)

How long does the VMS keep sending? Indefinitely, from what I can tell. there must be some 'deep sleep' event that would cause it to stop, but mine is certainly being sent and it has been months since I called up that screen.

EXACTLY! I was in the car, I checked the iPhone app, and saw no temps, so I checked the VDS to make sure temps were still being measured. I didn't check the app again until I stopped driving. I suspect that the "deep sleep event" may be firmware upgrades done by TM. Because, I don't check temps regularly, but I remember that the last time I checked was last summer (when it was hot!). Since then, I had a Ranger service that involved a firmware upgrade.

EDIT: We must all be logged in right now, DSM you posted while I was typing :wink:

That fixed it! I went and turned my car on and went to the temperature VDS screen while watching my iPhone OVMS app. The temps then appeared. Also, very cool that the car shows the headlights on. Hadn't noticed that before.

I, for some reason, thought the car showed those temperatures in Celsius but of course just shows those bars with the red (too hot) too the right. Do you know what temperatures those boxes correspond too? Maybe they could be reproduced under each temperature (Motor/PEM/Battery) so you could see if that part was 'in the red' or not.

It would be nice to be able to 'spoof' that message to say the VDS is looking at the temperature screen, but so far we don't have enough information on those messages to know for sure what they mean. I really don't like transmitting messages on the can bus if we don't know with 100% certainty what they do.

Ok, I'm getting rusty on this. Haven't looked at temperature issues for a while...

We do actually have a facility to remotely transmit that message. It is vehicle command #19, called "wakeup temperature subsystem", and it transmits that "102,06,2C,01,00,00,09,10,00" message on the bus. I think that you can issue this command from the Android App, but not from the iPhone (as it is too experimental).

Anyone who is running Android and has no temperature display could try that and let us know?

I, for some reason, thought the car showed those temperatures in Celsius but of course just shows those bars with the red (too hot) too the right. Do you know what temperatures those boxes correspond too?

I wonder if the scaling of the 3 different bars is constant? OVMS shows consistently that the motor is the warmest of the 3 components then the PEM, then the battery: but the VDS bars show the PEM as the warmest, then the battery and then the motor (especially when driving).

On Monday I had my car with TM for changing tires and sw-update. When I got the car back, there was none temperature at all. First I was affraid TM changed the software, but after I called the VDS, all temps are showed up at the app.

On Monday I had my car with TM for changing tires and sw-update. When I got the car back, there was none temperature at all. First I was affraid TM changed the software, but after I called the VDS, all temps are showed up at the app.

Yeah, software update would definitely do it. That would reboot the VMS.

Come to think of it, if anyone is seeing temperatures stop when they were previously working and no service visits, maybe the VMS watchdog-timedout and rebooted?