Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can think of lots of reasons why giving your phone to family to play with isn't a good idea (Do you have one-click enabled in Amazon? Will your son delete your appointments or create new ones and invite your business associates?). Accidentally starting a charge on your car seems a lot less worrisome.

There are plenty of other things they could mess up, but most of them aren't part of a neat app. My main concerns would be setting/charging at too high of a current level or screwing up the OVMS settings. I would only give my phone to people I believe won't purposefully do bad things to/with it (and accept the risk that they'll screw up something by accident).

I'd be happy with a 4 digit pin number when you launch the app that stays active for 5 min (or user defined) before the app locks itself again. I should have a pin on my phone but I use it so much, I never enabled it so save myself from entering it 50 times a day. That would be better security though.

Just got a new Droid phone so I could use the OVMS app (and not just the text messaging I could use on my Blackberry). Is whomever wrote the Droid version of the app going to fix it so it scales correctly on the screen? The main screen doesn't fit correctly (unless you turn the phone sideways). I'm using a brand new high resolution HTC One X phone.

Just got a new Droid phone so I could use the OVMS app (and not just the text messaging I could use on my Blackberry). Is whomever wrote the Droid version of the app going to fix it so it scales correctly on the screen? The main screen doesn't fit correctly (unless you turn the phone sideways). I'm using a brand new high resolution HTC One X phone.

Sonny handles that. I've also heard of problems with Samsung Notes. I'll ask him if this is easily resolvable.

It appears (we can only guess from looking at CAN bus messages) that the VDS tells the VMS what it is interested in, and from that point on the VMS broadcasts the interested messages on the can bus. So, calling up the temperature screen on the VDS makes the VMS start transmitting temperature messages. If you never call up that screen, the messages are never sent. You fixed it yourself ;-)

How long does the VMS keep sending? Indefinitely, from what I can tell. there must be some 'deep sleep' event that would cause it to stop, but mine is certainly being sent and it has been months since I called up that screen.

I lost the powertrain temps yesterday after a service call. I had obviously disconnected the OVMS module prior to the Ranger's arrival. He fitted new fans, replaced a faulty headlight and reinstalled the latest firmware. One of those made the VMS go into the "deep sleep" you mentioned. My module is reconnected and I'm going to run through the PEM screens right now.

I set the OVMS to be able to write to the CAN today. It worked perfectly with lock, unlock, and charge functions. Only bug seems to be that the car locks itself now during charging. It never did that before I installed the OVMS while charging. Is this normal? I am a bit worried about this since I almost never take my keys out of the car when at home or the office. I worry the OVMS might self lock and use a password I cannot access.

Only bug seems to be that the car locks itself now during charging. It never did that before I installed the OVMS while charging. Is this normal? I am a bit worried about this since I almost never take my keys out of the car when at home or the office. I worry the OVMS might self lock and use a password I cannot access.

??? Huh ???

Absolutely not normal.

The way the lock works is OVMS sends a can bus message containing the car"s lock/unlock pin. The car validates the pin and locks if correct. If the pin is incorrect, the car refuses to lock.

We don't store that pin anywhere. Not in the App, not in the Server, not in the car module. And, the only code path leading to the lock message being sent is an app sending a lock/unlock message to the connected car via the server. The server will only forward this message to a connected car - it cannot store and forward the message later.

The other thing to point out is that US and non-US cars behave differently. For US cars, can bus lock/unlock messages affect the car doors and alarm. Non-US cars are fitted with an immobiliser, which can bus lock/unlock cannot affect - so OVMS can lock/unlock the doors but cannot arm/disarm the alarm or immobiliser.

For your case, I would like to check the server logs. What is your vehicle ID, and what time (and timezone) did you start the charge?

[*]Notification of charge completion/interruption and other ancillary messages is available via SMS and/or Android/Apple PUSH notification.

Hi Mark

Still very happy with the OVMS in my Roadster.
Thought you probably considered enabling the user to have an alarm to go off whenever charging is prematurely terminated - in addition to the current notification.
Sound asleep in a hotel bed, I would like to have an alarm wake me up if charging is prematurely terminated - as it might prevent me from moving on as planned the following morning.

Is such a feature anywhere high up on your dev/priority list ?

/Q

Thought you probably considered enabling the user to have an alarm to go off whenever charging is prematurely terminated - in addition to the current notification.
Sound asleep in a hotel bed, I would like to have an alarm wake me up if charging is prematurely terminated - as it might prevent me from moving on as planned the following morning.

For the push notifications, we use the 'default' sound with Apple. You set that in Settings/General/Sounds. But, also make sure Settings/Notifications/OpenVehicle has sounds on.

There's no way with Apple to have an alarm clock load up. We can customize the sound, but it is messy.

If you really want something loud, the SMS notifications on iPhone have more granularity. You can configure a custom ringtone on the contact that is your car.

Regards, Mark