Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the best summary in the pickit 2 vs 3 discussion is:

• If you need/want to build from source, or otherwise develop in the system, then a pickit3 is probably a better choice.
  • If you want to simply update firmware from .hex file, and only that, then a pickit2 is probably a better choice.
  • Both will do the job.

Fair?

Regards, Mark.

I think the best summary in the pickit 2 vs 3 discussion is:

• If you need/want to build from source, or otherwise develop in the system, then a pickit3 is probably a better choice.
  • If you want to simply update firmware from .hex file, and only that, then a pickit2 is probably a better choice.
  • Both will do the job.

Fair?

Regards, Mark.
Fair enough :)

( I still need to do that tcpdump though... )

Mark, ever since upgrading my firmware to 1.3.1 I cannot start charging from the andriod app. If I try I get "cannot charge (change port closed) try turning can_write on". If I do it via the CHARGESTART text message command it works fine. What can be the issue?

I've just tried on mine, and it seems ok.

Can you try again? If it still doesn't work for you eMail us the date/time you did it and your vehicle id - we'll check the server logs,

I've had some feedback from several places that the AT&T GoPhone arrangement is getting tricky to keep up, as AT&T seem to be deprecating pay-as-you-go data only plans. There are some alternatives but they are all > $10 a month.

I've checked into various M2M arrangements, but they all seem to require someone setting up as a provider and dealing with top-up payments, etc. The data rates are also relatively high.

I have found a provider that may be a solution. They provide global roaming sims with easy online top-up, 12 months (extendable) validity, and good partnerships. We have tested one of these SIMs in Hong Kong, and it seems good. We are now about to test one in USA on the AT&T network. To go with this, I've made some changes to the car firmware that should half the already small data usage we are seeing, as well as behave better when the server can't be reached. We can hopefully end up with something costing around US$3/month and being trivial to maintain.

I'll let you know how the testing has gone, in a couple of weeks time. If anyone else wants to give it a try, in the meantime, let me now (by eMail) and I'll pass on the details.

Just a question can the OVMS use a T-Mobile SIM?

Prepaid Plans | Pay As You Go Pricing | Prepaid Cost per Minute | T-Mobile

It looks like there is no data option with "Pay as you go" plans. But I used T-Mobile prepaid for about 7 months. I was able to get mobile data for free. Not sure if this is still the case. You could pay $100 once and $10 a year after that.

It would only cost $10 to test, if you get/have a SIM card. It was only GPRS speed but I don't think that will matter.

The iOS App (iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch) v1.3.0 has been released, and is now available in the Apple iTunes App Store. Changes include:

• Minor bug fixes
  • Temperature Options in Settings App
  • Support for iOS 6, iPhone 5 and Xcode 4.5
  • Temperature issue - Fahrenheit showed before data is loaded
  • Support for Adaptive Reporting
  • iPad startup landscape orientation map was wrong

For those users bridging the gap between the metric and imperial systems of units, you can now find new settings in the iOS Settings App, Open Vehicles section, for temperature and distance. You can now either follow the car's choice for these (the default), or specifically choose the way you want these shown.

We're now shifting emphasis to the Android App, to bring this up to the same level as iOS.

Last edited:
Is this a system i can use in Norway? I' looking for a system that gives me relevant info and alerts me if charging stop unwanted.

Yes. For Tesla Roadster, this is available and we have some users already in Norway. OVMS will let you check the status of the car (location, battery, charging, etc), and will also alert you if the charging is interrupted.

Can you start the cupe- heater and pre- heat the battery in cold weather?

For pre-heat of the battery, you can remotely command a low-power charge, and the car will pre-heat if necessary.

The Tesla Roadster does not support remote control of cabin heater, so we can't pre-heat that remotely.

Regards, Mark.

Hey Mark! Saw that there is a homelink button now with the app! TY!
How do you get it to work? I get undefined when I click it?!?!

What is the exact error message you are getting, and what vehicleid?

You need firmware 1.2.7 (or later) in the car, and the latest iPhone App. Other than that it should just work.

P.S. You also need home link in the car itself, but I guess you've checked that already :)