Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just received my OVMS module today. I am a little confused, after reading the instructions. It states that the OVMS will only work with AT&T or T-Mobil. Is that for the Smartphone Apps?
Can I use my Android to get SMS text messages? Or do i need to get a different phone/ carrier to work with the OVMS?
Thanks in advance.

If you want smartphone control (apps) you will need a GSM data plan (aka GPRS). If you only want SMS control (no apps) you will need a GSM SMS-only plan. You don't need voice at all (although most come with it).

In the USA, most use AT&T GoPhone plan.

See the OVMS Installation thread for more information.

OVMS vehicle firmware 1.5.1 has been built for all platforms and is now on github.

The primary focus of this release has been adaptive reporting and simplifying provisioning. Due to the drastic reduction in cellular data usage with this release, and improvements in cellular connection handling, this firmware is recommended for all end users.

Github issues addressed (since 1.2.9) are:

• #93 Car: Notify server/app when charge has completed
  • #92 Try TCP reconnect, rather than full GPRS re-init, if server connection fails
  • #90 AP via SMS
  • #89 Report GSM operator
  • #86 Get ICCID from SIM during startup
  • #84 Detect lack of comms between PIC and modem
  • #82 Adaptive Reporting
  • #80 Make GSMLOCK use short service name
  • #79 SMS/PUSH notify if alarm is activated
  • #78 can_poll0 100 vs 102 check
  • #77 Option for GSM Network selection
  • #76 SMS HELP command
  • #75 Car: Basic (stub only) Renault Twizy Support
  • #74 Car: SETUP (DIAG) mode for firmware
  • #71 Car: Send line voltage level back to server
  • #70 Car: Send hardware version along with firmware version
  • #69 Wakeup temperature subsystem when car is woken up
  • #58 Car: Strange range when low on power
  • #57 Car: Motor temperature overflow

Regards, Mark.

Good stuff. Thanks Mark & mpt! My OVMS and PiCkit3 will be showing up soon and excited to get it up and going. Awesome that there's a drastic reduction in data usage. Any numbers on how much?

Just received the OVMS and rest of the goodies today, will look into which data rate is best. T-Mobile vs. AT&T. This will be the confusing part, getting the carrier to setup the SIM. Its as if they don't know what services they're selling. Called AT&T and they said they can't sell me a data plan unless a I have a Voice plan which most likely mean they want to charge me for something I don't use. Sure there's a way, just have to find the right person who understands it better than that last rep.

By the way, where do I download the MicroChip IPE (not IDE) program so I can flash the OVMS module using the Pickit 3? I only see the IDE download and I followed mpt's link but still couldn't find it when looking for Windows. I'll try downloading the Mac version when I get home and see it IPE is packaged with the IDE program.

Update:
Looks like for windows you need to down load the PICkit 3 GUI and Scripting Tool v3.00 BETA zipfile, then run the "PICkit3.exe" file. You can download this zipfile from:

secsoftwaredownload

I've appeared to have flashed the OVMS module using the program above. At least the program indicated it flashed successfully :) Will now need to go out and by a SIM card, install the module in the Roadster and verify it functions.

Last edited:
I have my OVMS V2 module up and running. I went with the AT&T plan which is listed as the "iPad on LTE 250mb / month data plan". No contract, no need to put any $ on the account, just pay as you go. Its $15 / mo. I'll check my MB/month usage and see where I'm at. Odd that the store didn't mention or advertise any gophone plans, I called AT&T and they said they still offered it. Will compare my usage with the pay per MB plan of the goPhone and may switch if its cost effective.

Good stuff. Thanks Mark & mpt! My OVMS and PiCkit3 will be showing up soon and excited to get it up and going. Awesome that there's a drastic reduction in data usage. Any numbers on how much?

Current numbers we have are that TCP usage goes from 60KB/day to 10KB/day. But, the cellular providers round up data usage, so your mileage may vary depending on how much you use the apps and how good your cellular signal is.

I have gone through the set up process and thought everything was set up correctly but I have a grey flashing antenna in the iphone app. Does the iphone app work with the iphone5 ? I am using version 2 hardware and the version 1.3.5 of the firmware.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks,

I have gone through the set up process and thought everything was set up correctly but I have a grey flashing antenna in the iphone app. Does the iphone app work with the iphone5 ? I am using version 2 hardware and the version 1.3.5 of the firmware.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Thanks,

IPhone 5 is supported.

Can you eMail [email protected] with your vehicleID, cellular provider, location (country)? Quickest to work from that.

P.S. Flashing gray would normally be the server name, vehicleID or server password entered into the smartphone App is incorrect.

When you post a new version of the firmware, could you post a direct link to the firmware for V1 and V2 hardware here? I went to the github section of your site and had trouble downloading the correct file. I'm sure it's simple but it would be helpful. I was able to update to the latest version again. Thanks for all of your work on this.

I installed another OVMS yesterday. A fellow Roadster driver bought OVMS and was searching for somebody to install it, he contacted me and we did the installation yesterday.

Have to say, chapeau! The V2 module looks very nice and also installs very quickly. Our only problem was that the module itself couldn't initialize the GPRS connection at first, we had to put the SIM in a mobile phone first to activate the GPRS it seemed. SMS commands worked fine before.

After doing so the module worked great and is online.

Very handy also to be able to add a car through the WebGUI, that makes it all much easier.

Thanks Mark and others!

I installed another OVMS yesterday. A fellow Roadster driver bought OVMS and was searching for somebody to install it, he contacted me and we did the installation yesterday.

Have to say, chapeau! The V2 module looks very nice and also installs very quickly. Thanks Mark and others!

People keep asking how they can help out, and the answer is 'anything you can do'. Coding is just a part of the project - documenting, testing, feeding back comments, tidying up graphics, design ideas, and helping each other out are all equally important.

As the more technical owners have already installed OVMS, the users we have now tend to need more hand holding. So, thank you for helping a fellow owner out, and reducing my support load :)

When you post a new version of the firmware, could you post a direct link to the firmware for V1 and V2 hardware here? I went to the github section of your site and had trouble downloading the correct file. I'm sure it's simple but it would be helpful. I was able to update to the latest version again. Thanks for all of your work on this.

I'll try to get a firmware section on the website.