Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening doors from inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the button is at the back of the handle, accidentally opening the door should not be an issues since all doors lock when in drive .
However, I think push buttons would be hard to push for some people unless it is electric which I don't think it is in the M3. Like someone mentioned, it would be cool too if you could open it from the screen which would show all the doors with the open door button as you put the car in park (think spaceship or the relevance screens Elon talked about!)
More conventional design could be a pull mechanism at the front end of the arm rest. But then ergonomics becomes an issue with both the door opener and the window switch in the same small area.
Why don’t you think it’s electric? All of Tesla’s vehicles have been so far. Not to mention, the outer handles seem a bit flimsy for it to be a mechanical connection.

I'm saying not eletric from a cost cutting standpoint. I agree the outside door handle seems flimsy and the only video I have seen it appears you need both hands to open. I'm sure they have it figured out but we just don't know at this point. I'm not an engineer but if it is electric on one side, I guess it has to be electric on both sides.

I'm saying not eletric from a cost cutting standpoint. I agree the outside door handle seems flimsy and the only video I have seen it appears you need both hands to open. I'm sure they have it figured out but we just don't know at this point. I'm not an engineer but if it is electric on one side, I guess it has to be electric on both sides.
You don't need two hands to open the outside handle. You push the larger end with the thumb and the skinny end with push out and your grab that with the rest of your hand. Jaguar and Aston Martin have similar handles.

Reactions: boaterva
What is that black thing between the handle and panel? Too small to be anything but a huge gap!
Blow up the picture. Looks like a push button there. Very clever and seamless. Your hand never has to leave the handle to unlatch and swing open the door. Useful when parked on a steep hill or when it's very windy to avoid having the ajar door fly open.

Reactions: Booga
Blow up the picture. Looks like a push button there. Very clever and seamless. Your hand never has to leave the handle to unlatch and swing open the door. Useful when parked on a steep hill or when it's very windy to avoid having the ajar door fly open.
I still think too small for opening the door unless it is electric. Makes me think could be window switch and the door lever is where the window button would be

I still think too small for opening the door unless it is electric. Makes me think could be window switch and the door lever is where the window button would be
I think it's likely electrically operated, as was the surface-mounted button on the grab handle of the alphas from the initial reveal. They just moved it from the handle location facing the driver/passenger to the top edge of the handle. Maybe there was a safety concern as well to avoid accidentally activating the exposed door release? If so, it's more likely to occur if the release is electrical rather than mechanical.

If the release is indeed electrical, that begs the question: How do you unlatch the door if there's a loss of power (e.g., after an accident)?

Elon doesn't want you to have inside door buttons. You don't need them. That's what the touch screen is there for. It can do everything. :D
Still it is not safe, in accident. All power is gone and you are trying to get out. How do you manually open the door when you are panicking. Okay you say the doors will open in the event of crash, what if half of the car is Next to a fire? Once opened you might burn yourself.

Still it is not safe, in accident. All power is gone and you are trying to get out. How do you manually open the door when you are panicking. Okay you say the doors will open in the event of crash, what if half of the car is Next to a fire? Once opened you might burn yourself.

The answer to all of these things for ANY modern car is to have a window breaker/seat belt cutter in all your vehicles. Most vehicles today have electric windows, so that safety issue in an accident already exists. Besides, manual doors can get crunched and jammed in an accident too. My husband, his sister and his mother were once trapped in a Bronco II in the 80s after being t-boned and rolling over, so this is nothing new.

You're supposed to roll the window down and hop out. Gotta keep costs down people!

Love that.
Dukes of Hazzard or Knight Rider style.
"K.I.T.T. come here, I need you buddy!"
Black Model 3 with red light ribbon approaches.
"Ok, Michael, jump right in."

Or simply jump into your bright orange (wrapped of course) Model 3 and drive off
;)

Last edited:
Like someone mentioned, it would be cool too if you could open it from the screen which would show all the doors with the open door button as you put the car in park (think spaceship or the relevance screens Elon talked about!)

Elon doesn't want you to have inside door buttons. You don't need them. That's what the touch screen is there for. It can do everything. :D
From the screenshots we've seen of the screen when it is in park the only things you can open from it are the trunk, frunk, and charging port.