Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opening doors from inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at these I can't see it either
nYwmKyJ.jpg
S6erzYN.jpg

My guess is they moved it to the underside of the handle where it is not seen in these pix.
Makes sense ergonomically as you grab the handle and your fingertips are actually under the handle and not on top.
That thought had occurred to me as well, but what if your passenger is one of those people who hang on to the door handle for dear life when you drive around curves? Would they run the risk of inadvertently unlatching the door while the car is in motion? :)

IMG_4327.PNG
IMG_4326.PNG
Maybe the release button was moved to the armrest where the window actuator switch is located (near where the grab handle and armrest meet on both the driver and passenger doors)?
Yeah, something like that.
It could be a picture frame around the buttons that is hinged on the rear edge. Or a button release low on the hidden side of the grasp handle. Need some way to not accidentally open the door when actuating that sort of button.

My guess is they moved it to the underside of the handle where it is not seen in these pix.
Makes sense ergonomically as you grab the handle and your fingertips are actually under the handle and not on top.

A thumb button on top is also economical. It's also less of a risk for opening the door when simply grabbing the handle while riding as a passenger.

Reactions: Booga
If the button is at the back of the handle, accidentally opening the door should not be an issues since all doors lock when in drive .
However, I think push buttons would be hard to push for some people unless it is electric which I don't think it is in the M3. Like someone mentioned, it would be cool too if you could open it from the screen which would show all the doors with the open door button as you put the car in park (think spaceship or the relevance screens Elon talked about!)
More conventional design could be a pull mechanism at the front end of the arm rest. But then ergonomics becomes an issue with both the door opener and the window switch in the same small area.