Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion on buying A Preowned Model 3 2019 with 114k Miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solution
You’re right, I wouldn’t buy a car w that many miles but I thought electric cars were the superior that’s why I figured I would make the exception but I’m not so sure now
Ignore the "electric car" part. Regardless of how long the battery may or may not last, and the true fact that they have fewer moving parts, its still expensive to fix, and you are still looking at a car that was driven 40k miles a year for 3 years.

If its going to be a second or third car and you are simply checking out EVs, perhaps. If you are planning on it being your reliable transportation to work, there are MUCH MUCH MUCH better ways to spend 28k on a car for reliable transportation.
What condition is it in?
Clean Title?
Accident History?
Service history?
No idea what the condition is like I would assume good since it’s a 2019, it was used as a taxi last owned in NY, no accidents, 17 services

Attachments

• B2FCF907-5810-4968-84AF-D5DF8C23CF84.png
    B2FCF907-5810-4968-84AF-D5DF8C23CF84.png
    469 KB · Views: 132
Upvote 0
Is it worth buying a model 3 2019 Tesla if it’s had one owner and has 114k miles on it being sold for $28k

A car that is 2.5 - 3 years old, and was driven almost 40k miles a year? I have definitely bought used cars with that amount of mileage on them in my life, but that was out of necessity (at that time, I couldnt afford anything better, with lower miles).

I would say "no, there are any number of cars that would be about the same price new, including some hybrids, etc".

Reactions: KJD and OldPro
Upvote 0
A car that is 2.5 - 3 years old, and was driven almost 40k miles a year? I have definitely bought used cars with that amount of mileage on them in my life, but that was out of necessity (at that time, I couldnt afford anything better, with lower miles).

I would say "no, there are any number of cars that would be about the same price new, including some hybrids, etc".
What would be the reason? Does the vehicle depreciate and more faults occur if bought w that many miles? I heard the batteries last 300k-500k I don’t drive more than 15k a year

Upvote 0
What would be the reason? Does the vehicle depreciate and more faults occur if bought w that many miles? I heard the batteries last 300k-500k I don’t drive more than 15k a year

What do you mean "What would be the reason?" Its a car with over 100k miles on it put on in 3 years. Ignore "but it has a battery". Would you pay 28k for any other brand used car that was 3 years old and 114k miles? If so, go for it. I wouldnt, but im not you.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Upvote 0
What do you mean "What would be the reason?" Its a car with over 100k miles on it put on in 3 years. Ignore "but it has a battery". Would you pay 28k for any other brand used car that was 3 years old and 114k miles? If so, go for it. I wouldnt, but im not you.
You’re right, I wouldn’t buy a car w that many miles but I thought electric cars were the superior that’s why I figured I would make the exception but I’m not so sure now

Upvote 0
An electric car is still a car. Plenty of other mechanical parts that wear and tear, electronics that fail, interior parts that absorb *fluids*

Upvote 0
Ignore the "electric car" part. Regardless of how long the battery may or may not last, and the true fact that they have fewer moving parts, its still expensive to fix, and you are still looking at a car that was driven 40k miles a year for 3 years.

If its going to be a second or third car and you are simply checking out EVs, perhaps. If you are planning on it being your reliable transportation to work, there are MUCH MUCH MUCH better ways to spend 28k on a car for reliable transportation.

Upvote 0
Solution
FWIW, the last time I bought a car with that many miles on it (as I mentioned, I couldnt afford better at the time), it was a toyota camry (very definition of boring, reliable ICE transportation) with like 120k miles on it.

I drove it for a few years, and only had to have a water pump put in it. It also wasnt 28k (lol) but I forget how much it was. I know that at the time it was basically my lifes savings, but I live in Southern California and you basically have to have a car here to get to work, for the most part.

I dont know what the driver is for you in looking at a 28k car and I dont want to guess, so I will just say that its my opinion that if "the budget" is 28k for a car, and one is looking for something reliable that you are going to put 15k miles a year on, the choice should be a new car for 25-30k, not a car (tesla or otherwise) with 100k+ miles on it.

Upvote 0
Have you ever driven on NY roads? 100k miles as NY taxi is like 2 lifetimes of driving for any other car. I’d rather buy a used ICE car lol
I drive in NY and we have 500k on a 2007 Prius and 245k on a 2017 Prius Prime (not a taxi driver). We are in a suburb.

Anyway, I would not buy a Tesla with no battery warranty and with that many miles. Buy a new car, as others have suggested.

Upvote 0
It is an interesting contradiction I must admit. Most people on the forum would tell you that EVs are more reliable and should run forever but 90% of them dump their cars at 50k miles when the bumper to bumper warranty is up…

I think the honest answer for me is that you are taking a big risk spending that much on a car out of warranty since we really don’t know yet how reliable a high mileage Tesla will be. What we do know is that Tesla service is a mixed bag at best and out of warranty repairs are pretty expensive. Throw in the fact that cabs get abused and I’d call it a risky purchase for that much money.

If my budget was $28k and I wanted an EV I’d get a Chevy Bolt. They are practically giving them away. The downside is slow DC charging, a dying platform, and it looks like a roller skate… but after tax rebates it should be close to $20k starting jan1 when the tax credit changes. If you aren’t driving a lot of long distances it should be a solid car.

Upvote 0
If my budget was $28k and I wanted an EV I’d get a Chevy Bolt. They are practically giving them away. The downside is slow DC charging, a dying platform, and it looks like a roller skate… but after tax rebates it should be close to $20k starting jan1 when the tax credit changes. If you aren’t driving a lot of long distances it should be a solid car.

The battery fire issue (and recall of all Bolts produced) I think forced GM to price them at a loss or break-even. Because GM sells at least a dozen high-margin Silverados per Bolt sold, they can afford to do this for now.

There are drawbacks - a Bolt is FWD only and has "only" 200 HP. (Fully adequate for a car of its size, but you won't be taking it to the drags for fun.)

But after rebate, you're looking at a starting price less than a Corolla or Civic - just a bit over $19K, and you'd be able to load one up with options and still come out under the $28K of that heavily used Model 3.

Upvote 0