Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opinion on buying A Preowned Model 3 2019 with 114k Miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Solution
You’re right, I wouldn’t buy a car w that many miles but I thought electric cars were the superior that’s why I figured I would make the exception but I’m not so sure now
Ignore the "electric car" part. Regardless of how long the battery may or may not last, and the true fact that they have fewer moving parts, its still expensive to fix, and you are still looking at a car that was driven 40k miles a year for 3 years.

If its going to be a second or third car and you are simply checking out EVs, perhaps. If you are planning on it being your reliable transportation to work, there are MUCH MUCH MUCH better ways to spend 28k on a car for reliable transportation.
I do have the same question - 2019 AWD Long Range should have 350+miles I hope, the one I am looking at is personal vehicle with a little over 45.000 miles
After 50 I would loose the warranty except battery I guess?
What would be the reasonable asking price for this particular model?
Seems in a good condition, clean, no heavy use, one scratch on the hood. 19" wheels

Thanks!

Upvote 0
That's fantasyland, almost even when brand new, and certainly after 2-3 years of use.
Is this really that bad?
I have experience with a rental long range awd and despite charging it daily for 2 months and driving it daily (I would finish usually between 5% and 30% of battery) it always charged to 350+, when battery was below 20% it would always charge to 358 miles full range. I didn't use the super charger. I used level 2 charger plugged into a dryer outlet in my garage.

Re price, they want $48k, which KBB says it is fair but I believe brand new is $58k.

Upvote 0
Is this really that bad?
I have experience with a rental long range awd and despite charging it daily for 2 months and driving it daily (I would finish usually between 5% and 30% of battery) it always charged to 350+, when battery was below 20% it would always charge to 358 miles full range. I didn't use the super charger. I used level 2 charger plugged into a dryer outlet in my garage.

Re price, they want $48k, which KBB says it is fair but I believe brand new is $58k.
There is generally some level of battery degradation but I wouldn’t expect much more than 10% or so on a 2019 with those miles.

At that price I’d consider buying directly from Tesla as you get an extra 1yr and 10k miles warranty beyond the factory one. Here’s an example with lower miles and EAP for basically the same price.

Upvote 0
There is generally some level of battery degradation but I wouldn’t expect much more than 10% or so on a 2019 with those miles.

At that price I’d consider buying directly from Tesla as you get an extra 1yr and 10k miles warranty beyond the factory one. Here’s an example with lower miles and EAP for basically the same price.

Regarding range, is it 358 miles or 310? Until now my assumption was that in 2019 you can still get 310 miles RWD or 358 AWD version.

Upvote 0
Is this really that bad?

Perhaps you'd like some light reading for the next few days....

Spoiler alert: its become 266 pages(not posts, which is 5318 at the moment!) of essentially "I'm getting a little less range than was advertised for my car when it was brand new... is this normal, should I contact Service?l" followed by "yes, its normal, Service will laugh at you"

Clearly that's an oversimplification, but every few pages you'll come across a graph produced by TeslaFi showing the remaining full range curve for model 3's, and it shows almost every 3 is notably below its original range. I don't have TeslaFi, so I'm not able to produce one here.

If you are planning to regularly drive 350 miles with no charging in the middle, don't buy a model 3. You are generally supposed to be avoiding the top 10% and bottom 10-20% of the range, so at a very MAXIMUM, you should be treating that 350 like 280 usable, and then when you add another 10% of range loss, its only 245 usable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It’s better to buy a salvage Tesla with less miles IMO. Just make sure to take it for an inspection. As long as it has been fixed well it will be more reliable than a “clean title” car with more miles.

The person that a salvage tesla is right for, already knows that fact, and everything that would come along with buying such a vehicle. That person also likely would not have any confusion whatsoever about whether a tesla rated for 350 miles could actually go that far, or, be unsure about why a 3 year old tesla wouldnt have the exact same rated range it started with.

Upvote 0
There will be a lot of them from Hertz soon.
I went thru quite a few and most have issues that Hertz does not care about. I guess Tesla can offload faulty cars on them.

Btw. When I was asking about range I was not asking about the fact the car will or will not go that many miles. I just wanted to know when Tesla started rating cars at 350+ miles. It's a bit confusing. I see long range rwd and awd and it seems they all have different ranges. I really just want someone who knows about it to tell me the rated ranges so that I can focus my search better. I also realize the battery will loose some range over time. Thanks!

Upvote 0
There will be a lot of them from Hertz soon.
I went thru quite a few and most have issues that Hertz does not care about. I guess Tesla can offload faulty cars on them.

Btw. When I was asking about range I was not asking about the fact the car will or will not go that many miles. I just wanted to know when Tesla started rating cars at 350+ miles. It's a bit confusing. I see long range rwd and awd and it seems they all have different ranges. I really just want someone who knows about it to tell me the rated ranges so that I can focus my search better. I also realize the battery will loose some range over time. Thanks!

I dont believe there are any Long range RWD (single motor) model 3s rated at 350 miles range from the factory. If you want a car that started with that much of a EPA rated range, you will need an AWD model 3.

I really just want someone who knows about it to tell me the rated ranges so that I can focus my search better

When you search google for "Tesla model 3" one of the search results is for the Tesla model 3 wiki article. Have you looked at that? It has rated ranges in there.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't buy a used taxi even if it only had 10k miles on it. Or for that matter a car used for Uber or any other type of car service.
Depends why you are buying it.

If you are going to put another 100K miles on it in the next 3 years, this might well make good financial sense.

If you are buying it as a commuter car, and only intending to put 10K a year on it, then after 3 years you'll have a 6 year old car with 144K on it, and probably be able to sell it for what you bought it for.

Really my point is there are people out there who would find this a good deal. Not many, perhaps, but there are definitely some. 👍

Upvote 0
I do have the same question - 2019 AWD Long Range should have 350+miles I hope,
EPA rated range for 2019 Model 3 with large battery was 310 miles (for all large battery variants: LR RWD, LR AWD, and LR P).

You can get an approximation of the particular car's current rated range by tapping the rated remaining range or battery percentage, getting both numbers, and then doing some math to get an approximation of what the particular car will show for rated range when the battery is at 100%. It fairly common for Tesla NCA batteries (which is most of them, except (in the US) for 2022 RWD and some late 2021 SR+) to show 10% or so less rated range than when new after some time.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
I really just want someone who knows about it to tell me the rated ranges so that I can focus my search better. I also realize the battery will loose some range over time. Thanks!
You can compare the latest 4 model years on the EPA website here. It definitely shows the 2021 and 2022 as longer range than earlier models.

This article discusses range differences a bit as well.

It is hard to pin down because batteries, tires, motors, and rims change over time which both impact range. Plus software updates have impacted the range at times. I honestly never noticed what my range is because I keep it between 20% and 80% all the time I just look at my Wh/mi to see how efficiently I’m driving and estimate my fuel (electricity) costs. I am skeptical that the real world range really changed as much as the EPA rated range did I just don’t see the efficiency difference between years being that much.

I think that $28k deal is interesting because it is a really cheap way to get into a model 3. Really my only big concern with a high mileage out of warranty purchase is the risk of a battery pack or motor failure. Those are big bucks and nobody knows how likely that is because there are so few examples with high miles at this point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0