Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opti-Coat & Xpel Ultimate Film question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contemplating on doing an Opticoat & Xpel frontal wrap when my car arrives. Been checking around and it seems most shops vary in how they apply the Opticoat.
Some applies Opticoat and then the Xpel over it and then another coat of Opticoat on top. Some only does the Opticoat on top of the Xpel.
Any particular way better or correct?

This has been discussed on other wrap/coat threads. Search for more info, but basically coating below film doesn't really help anything, and may affect film adhesion. Coating on top is sometimes done if you want. Not as big a deal as it is on a non-wrapped car, and you need to be sure the coating is compatible with the wrap.
General order would be paint correction, wrap, compatible sealant if desired.
For the record I did correction, xpel ultimate, then c.quartz finest on top of that (though nearly just did reload on top... Not sure what I'll do when we reapply).

The correct way as described above is paint correction, Xpel, then OptiCoat (or other sealant). That's how my P85D was done. With that said, my old P85 had the sandwich approach with paint correction, OptiCoat, Xpel, then more OptiCoat. Had no issues with adhesion.

This has been a debate on many forums and we've always been on the cautious side and don't see any benefits to applying a coating UNDER the film...manufacturers like XPEL agree with us:

XPEL Technologies Corp.: Frequently Asked Questions

"Can/should Opticoat or cQuartz be applied to the car before the film is installed?" We do NOT recommend applying sealants such as Opticoat or cQuartz to the parts of the car that will be covered with film. The low surface energy of paint sealant products such as these will cause adhesion problems both during installation and over the life of the product. In addition, it is worth noting that there is really no benefit to applying sealant to the paint before the film anyway, since the film will provide far more environmental protection to the paint than a sealant ever could.

At GP, we simply do a proper paint correction, if needed, apply the clear bra, then coat it with a nano coating. Maintenance is easy...simply wash and use nano maintenance spray coating once a month.