Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimal settings for long term storage to keep cabin dry

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a Model Y Long Range 2023, my first Tesla. It is being stored in an unheated metal building, plugged in, on our farm until I arrive in April. I spend 6 months a year abroad, so it will be doing this every year hence. I have experience storing books long term, and have learned that the key to supressing mold is keeping the humidity below 50%. 40% is better. Can anyone advise how to get the Tesla, sitting there locked, plugged in, to do the following: circulate inside air only (so as to not bring outside humid air in), preferably auto fan, with A/C heat pump dehumidifying it, with a set temperature of say 60°F? My Tesla mobile app will let me turn on heat, and set it to 60°F, but I cannot find any way remotely to control source of air, or humidity level, and the heat setting seems to turn off after a time by itself. The Tesla app doesn't apparently allow granular control of the climate system. Are there any apps that do? Will the display automatically sleep (turn off) even though the climate system is working? It is being stored in a cool climate (WA state) but there might be times where the building got hotter than 60 and it would be a cooling situation instead. Nice if it just would keep a set condition. It is plugged in at a 5A charge rate, 80% max, in a place where electricity is very cheap (8 cents/kWh) so that isn't much of a factor.

Ye
Depends on the size of the bowl. I'd put maybe 20 lbs in, and would still be better than nothing.

Do you know of something that would work better?
Yeah, the very nice heat pump built in to the Y, if Tesla will let me use it (as in Camp mode). I don’t know yet if it will allow keeping Camp mode on long term, set to recirculate air rather than outside air, (may not be allowed), plugged in, locked with no one in vehicle

Running Camp mode for extended period would be hugely inefficient, might not be the best approach to ventilating the passenger cabin.

You could use the Tesla app and manually precondition the Tesla Model Y cabin according to your needs and schedule. Preconditioning will turn off after ~40 minutes.

There are some 3rd party apps that can automate many Tesla Model Y functions including preconditioning, according to an automated schedule. With at least one 3rd party app you can create Siri shortcuts on an iPhone to perform multiple steps.

Apple Watch Applications - Tesla

Running Camp mode for extended period would be hugely inefficient, might not be the best approach to ventilating the passenger cabin.

You could use the Tesla app and manually precondition the Tesla Model Y cabin according to your needs and schedule. Preconditioning will turn off after ~40 minutes.

There are some 3rd party apps that can automate many Tesla Model Y functions including preconditioning, according to an automated schedule. With at least one 3rd party app you can create Siri shortcuts on an iPhone to perform multiple steps.

Apple Watch Applications - Tesla
Thanks, j. I code iOS apps, and looked over the Tesla API, which is what determines what apps can do. It appeared to me that you cannot set the climate controls other than temperature, and that turns off after 20 minutes or so. I asked one of the commercial apps about that, and they agree. It's up to Tesla to allow it. In any case, I don't need to 'ventilate' the cabin, just dehumidify it, which running the A/C for a short time off and on can do, if you don't draw in outside air. As of today, Tesla doesn't allow that much remote control.

Thanks, j. I code iOS apps, and looked over the Tesla API, which is what determines what apps can do. It appeared to me that you cannot set the climate controls other than temperature, and that turns off after 20 minutes or so. I asked one of the commercial apps about that, and they agree. It's up to Tesla to allow it. In any case, I don't need to 'ventilate' the cabin, just dehumidify it, which running the A/C for a short time off and on can do, if you don't draw in outside air. As of today, Tesla doesn't allow that much remote control.
I believe rodents will be a bigger issue than humidity.

Reactions: Mike_TV
Was going to say maybe 1x/week remotely run the AC to dehumidify for a half hr or so. Def worry about rodents on a farm as well as w the weight of the vehicle the tires flattening. Someone will need to move it forward and back once a month or so to prevent that.

I have all my vehicles with tires up on jack stands for the 6 months. I have ordered the jack adapters required to protect the battery. We have a 5 gallon bucket-based rodent trap in the building which is very effective. We have a farm caretaker who keeps an eye on the building. Humidity is my main uncontrolled variable. But you're sure right about rodent danger. A friend told me of several thousand dollars damage by rodents on an expensive car in outdoor storage.

"I smell a rat..."
Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 13.01.15.png

Reactions: neo1738
I just bought a Model Y Long Range 2023, my first Tesla. It is being stored in an unheated metal building, plugged in, on our farm until I arrive in April. I spend 6 months a year abroad, so it will be doing this every year hence. I have experience storing books long term, and have learned that the key to supressing mold is keeping the humidity below 50%. 40% is better. Can anyone advise how to get the Tesla, sitting there locked, plugged in, to do the following: circulate inside air only (so as to not bring outside humid air in), preferably auto fan, with A/C heat pump dehumidifying it, with a set temperature of say 60°F? My Tesla mobile app will let me turn on heat, and set it to 60°F, but I cannot find any way remotely to control source of air, or humidity level, and the heat setting seems to turn off after a time by itself. The Tesla app doesn't apparently allow granular control of the climate system. Are there any apps that do? Will the display automatically sleep (turn off) even though the climate system is working? It is being stored in a cool climate (WA state) but there might be times where the building got hotter than 60 and it would be a cooling situation instead. Nice if it just would keep a set condition. It is plugged in at a 5A charge rate, 80% max, in a place where electricity is very cheap (8 cents/kWh) so that isn't much of a factor.
I am in a similar situation, where I will be storing my Model Y for 4-6 months in an underground parkade. It will be plugged into 110V and kept at 50%. My main concern is not having LTE or Wifi connectivity. Is it a problem not getting push upgrades for up to 6 months?

I have no idea, as my Y is stored in a metal building in rural WA without a decent WiFi connection. Tesla does seem to manage some communication with the vehicle through cellular signal, but not enough to do updates. But, as with computers, it probably is as safe to drive as it was with what it has, IMHO.

I am in a similar situation, where I will be storing my Model Y for 4-6 months in an underground parkade. It will be plugged into 110V and kept at 50%. My main concern is not having LTE or Wifi connectivity. Is it a problem not getting push upgrades for up to 6 months?
I am sure as soon as you have connection, the car will want to catch up with the latest updates. I wouldn't be too worried about it.