Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Optimal Toll Tag Placement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an update on the E-Z PASS and silicone skin. My wife just drove around 600 miles from NYS to OBX which consists of a LOT of tolls. One no-stop lane in DE flashed something like "Tag Not Read" and the second time at the CBBT the gate didn't raise. The attendant said to take the cover off and when she did the gate popped right up. She said the cover interferes with the E-Z Pass and that the pass is meant to have the bottom face the scanner (like when it's stuck to the windshield in which case the cover would be fine). I don't know if it's the composition of the particular case but beware of both covering the E-Z Pass AND having it face away from the scanner. We have not had any other problems in the NE, just on this trip. I'm going to leave it where I showed it earlier for now, just without the cover. I can't wait for E-Z Pass to update their tech!

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I had trouble when installed it (EZ-Pass) in my Model 3 next to the mirror where Tesla indicates. I ended up placing it just behind the center roof beam and haven't had a problem since. We're also having issues with it next to the mirror in our Model Y. It worked when I held it by the front roof beam so I may end up moving it there. BTW, I just wrapped black electrical tape around mine but I might try the silicone case since it looks cleaner.

I have an update on the E-Z PASS and silicone skin. My wife just drove around 600 miles from NYS to OBX which consists of a LOT of tolls. One no-stop lane in DE flashed something like "Tag Not Read" and the second time at the CBBT the gate didn't raise. The attendant said to take the cover off and when she did the gate popped right up. She said the cover interferes with the E-Z Pass and that the pass is meant to have the bottom face the scanner (like when it's stuck to the windshield in which case the cover would be fine). I don't know if it's the composition of the particular case but beware of both covering the E-Z Pass AND having it face away from the scanner. We have not had any other problems in the NE, just on this trip. I'm going to leave it where I showed it earlier for now, just without the cover. I can't wait for E-Z Pass to update their tech!
Maybe it would work if you kept it where you showed it but laid it upside down there. Did you use the tape to hold it in place or just laid it there? The vendor you linked also has a version that covers the bottom. That should look better if placed upside down.

Maybe it would work if you kept it where you showed it but laid it upside down there. Did you use the tape to hold it in place or just laid it there? The vendor you linked also has a version that covers the bottom. That should look better if placed upside down.

Interesting thought. I used the Velcro that came with the unit and I have a bunch more (great Velcro!) and I also have some black vinyl wrap I can use . I won't know if it will work for the foreseeable future as I haven't had any issues in the Northeast as photographed but did a few hundred miles away.

I had trouble when installed it (EZ-Pass) in my Model 3 next to the mirror where Tesla indicates. I ended up placing it just behind the center roof beam and haven't had a problem since. We're also having issues with it next to the mirror in our Model Y. It worked when I held it by the front roof beam so I may end up moving it there. BTW, I just wrapped black electrical tape around mine but I might try the silicone case since it looks cleaner.
Any update on this on your Model Y? My subdivision programs EZ tags to open our gates, and tag doesn't work when placed where Tesla recommends. Not sure where exactly you're referring to as "center roof beam".