Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options to Charge from a NEMA 6-30 Plug?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably would work, but I expect the circuit's only got a 30 amp breaker (the "-30" in the connector type), not the 50 amps which the 14-50 socket is usually rated for. Since it's only safe to pull 80% of the rated load, be sure to tell the car to charge at no more than 24 amps. Pulling 40 amps (80% of a 14-50 socket) could be very bad.

I charge from a 10-30 plug (old style dryer), and do something similar. 24 amps isn't all bad, if the alternatives are worse.

Reactions: Black/Black MS
That will work, dial back the current as mentioned above, and it's probably what I'd do. But a better way would be to get a Tesla 14-30 adapter for your UMC and make a 6-30p to 14-30r adapter.

I think Tesla made a 6-30 adapter early on. If they did it'd be tough to find one now.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Cool. How many miles per hour of charge do you get?
You know, I've never actually measured it... Always just plugged it in and went about my business.

Based on the logs, it looks like about 18 mi/hr or so. Last charge was about 45 miles worth in 2.5 hours, but not sure how much of that was tapered. SOC went from 65% to 83%, 321 wh/mi for the charge. This is for a Roadster 2.0, if that helps.

That will work, dial back the current as mentioned above, and it's probably what I'd do. But a better way would be to get a Tesla 14-30 adapter for your UMC and make a 6-30p to 14-30r adapter.

I think Tesla made a 6-30 adapter early on. If they did it'd be tough to find one now.
Tesla made a 6-50 adapter when the Model S was first introduced, never a 6-30 for the Mobile Connector.

The best solution for the OP is: Mobile Connector -> Tesla 14-30 Adapter -> 14-30 socket -> 8-3 SOOW cable -> 6-30 plug. This cable needs to be marked "Tesla Charging Only" because the Neutral will be open and it could damage any other equipment that might be plugged into the 14-30 socket. The Tesla Mobile Connector does not use the Neutral.

• Helpful
You know, I've never actually measured it... Always just plugged it in and went about my business.

Based on the logs, it looks like about 18 mi/hr or so. Last charge was about 45 miles worth in 2.5 hours, but not sure how much of that was tapered. SOC went from 65% to 83%, 321 wh/mi for the charge. This is for a Roadster 2.0, if that helps.

That's actually pretty good. About 5x what I get plugging into a regular outlet.

Tesla made a 6-50 adapter when the Model S was first introduced, never a 6-30 for the Mobile Connector.

The best solution for the OP is: Mobile Connector -> Tesla 14-30 Adapter -> 14-30 socket -> 8-3 SOOW cable -> 6-30 plug. This cable needs to be marked "Tesla Charging Only" because the Neutral will be open and it could damage any other equipment that might be plugged into the 14-30 socket. The Tesla Mobile Connector does not use the Neutral.

Very interesting. So I buy the 14-30 adapter, then I essentially build my own extension cord with a 14-30 receptacle on one end and a 6-30 plug on the other?

If I do it this way do I still need to manually manage the amps or will the car automatically draw the right amount of power?

Very interesting. So I buy the 14-30 adapter, then I essentially build my own extension cord with a 14-30 receptacle on one end and a 6-30 plug on the other?

If I do it this way do I still need to manually manage the amps or will the car automatically draw the right amount of power?
No, you won't need to manually dial it in; that's why this is recommended. The physical Tesla-branded adapter tells the cable and the car what amp level to limit to. If you are using a Tesla 50A piece, but converting it to a 30A plug with a separate pigtail, the car can't see that, and it will think there is a 50A circuit there. You can manually adjust it down, but then if something glitches or resets it might try to pull 40A from that 30A circuit. In a good case, it would flip the breaker, but if the breaker malfunctions, that's very bad.

This is why they are recommending making an adapter from an official Tesla 30A to a different 30A plug. It will automatically have it limited to the right level.

• Informative
Reactions: Black/Black MS
Informative side note: That's why this was shortsighted/dangerous/stupid that Tesla had discontinued all of their adapters that were at the 30A level. There was no way to have an adapter to 6-30, 10-30, 14-30, TT-30, etc. that would properly limit the current. Thank goodness they finally got enough of an earful to make the 14-30 again.

I know this is an old thread. I just bought a Tesla 14-30 adapter for my UMC and a 14-30r to 6-30p adapter from Parkworld so I can use the 6-30r in my garage. This thread came up when I searched for information to make sure this was safe. Thanks!