Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Options to cover faux leather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The faux leather in the TM3 is not very allergy friendly so I've got large sores on my back, my elbows and my left knee (resting against the door blade). Does anyone have any tips on how I could cover these parts of the car?
I use a seat cover now which means I stopped getting the sores on my back, but my elbows and knee still have leaky sores so I need to find a solution.
Tesla adheres to the international guidelines, so they are not obliged to (and do not want to) do anything.

Are you driving naked?
Don't we all?
In all seriousness, though, no. The way it works is that when the plastics are heated, like when you sit and lean against it for prolonged periods of time, then it starts releasing chemicals that some people are allergic to and can cause quite severe contact dermatitis.
The Norwegian Tesla seller told me the interior was premium leather so I never investigated. Had I known it was made out of cheap plastic I would have tested it better before I bought it.

Don't we all?
In all seriousness, though, no. The way it works is that when the plastics are heated, like when you sit and lean against it for prolonged periods of time, then it starts releasing chemicals that some people are allergic to and can cause quite severe contact dermatitis.
The Norwegian Tesla seller told me the interior was premium leather so I never investigated. Had I known it was made out of cheap plastic I would have tested it better before I bought it.

Sorry you were misled. I would like it much better if they flat out said it was polyurethane. It appears to be not bothering your hands, I'm glad you probably got one of the last real leather steering wheels.

Sounds like you have a sensitivity somehow. Covers are available but it seems you need to look for non-permeable ones, or perhaps reupholster completely.

You should be able to get just the driver's area redone to reduce costs, assuming you're never a passenger.

Sorry you were misled. I would like it much better if they flat out said it was polyurethane. It appears to be not bothering your hands, I'm glad you probably got one of the last real leather steering wheels.

Sounds like you have a sensitivity somehow. Covers are available but it seems you need to look for non-permeable ones, or perhaps reupholster completely.

You should be able to get just the driver's area redone to reduce costs, assuming you're never a passenger.
You just made me very sad. Last time it was in the shop one of the technicians managed to tear the steering wheel, so they have ordered a new one for me. I just assumed that I switched hand positions often enough to not be bothered by the steering wheel, but this means I might start getting sores on my hands as well.
Additionally, I've given up on the car I have now, so I'm trading it in for a new TM3 which hopefully isn't drowning in production issues.
For all the issues it has I still think the TM3 is the best EV around, not counting anything which costs > €100k, I just got a shitty unit and was promised more than Tesla could deliver.

You just made me very sad. Last time it was in the shop one of the technicians managed to tear the steering wheel, so they have ordered a new one for me. I just assumed that I switched hand positions often enough to not be bothered by the steering wheel, but this means I might start getting sores on my hands as well.
Additionally, I've given up on the car I have now, so I'm trading it in for a new TM3 which hopefully isn't drowning in production issues.
For all the issues it has I still think the TM3 is the best EV around, not counting anything which costs > €100k, I just got a shitty unit and was promised more than Tesla could deliver.

Oh no! Please do let them know. I heard you can still upgrade to a leather wheel for $600. If your original wheel was leather they should hopefully be able to accomodate a request that it stays the same. Do also look into that for the new one with your delivery center if possible.

Wish you the best with your next one.