TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Orange County Tesla Owners - CA-55/I-5 Carpool Flyover and Autopilot

Discussion in 'California' started by rxlawdude, Jul 25, 2016.

1. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Has anyone experienced TACC and auto-steer disabling while on the flyover HOV lane from NB CA-55 to NB I-5, or SB I-5 to SB CA-55?

Every once in a while (maybe twice a month), in almost the same spot on this transition, there will be a chime and the yellow caution icon displays with a message to the effect that the TACC radar is not operating properly. The little speedometer and steering wheel icons disappear from the display. Rebooting (multiple times) has no effect, but exactly five minutes from the failure and without respect to rebooting or not, TACC and auto-steer become available again.

Theories abound - it's the K-rail causing weird radar echoes, there's some source of UHF RFI occurring in a building or antenna mast adjacent to the freeway, etc. I'm most fascinated with the five minute period and spontaneous recovery. That's got to be programmed behavior.

Anyone else see this? This is the only place where I've ever had TACC disable itself in almost a year and 26K miles.

2. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

If you look on a map, you'll find that that flyover is directly in line with the runways at John Wayne airport, with it's ILS and glideslope and radar transmitters.

3. BrokerDon

BrokerDon Member

Our P85D will navigate this flyover using AutoPilot albeit "wobbly"... So just turn it off in the big turn and back on again once it straightens out.

4. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

Actually, the initial issue was with TACC, prior to autosteer.