Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Orange Trail/Dust on fog lamp?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody! I've had my 85D for a few weeks now and couldn't be happier! Coming into it I knew there are probably going to be little nits and nats that I need to address, the but the overall car is incredible!

Has anybody noticed or had any experience with a strange orange liquid/dust trail that originates from somewhere behind the grill and comes out over the foglamp on the passenger side (picture below)? It almost looks like a trail of rust water that has dried. My detailer said he has seen this on almost every Tesla that has come through his shop and was curious if I knew what it was.

I will be at the SC tomorrow and will ask about it, but curious if anybody here has seen it before. I wouldn't have noticed had my detailer not pointed it out.

IMG_7330.JPG

Thanks for any insight anybody can offer!

Cheers

I've seen it in a post here before, something about the orange glue they use... let me search.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/28806-What-the-heck-is-this-orange-stuff-oozing-from-the-frunk

Thanks, Amped and Max. This gives me at least something to go on. I tried searching the forums prior to posting but couldn't find what I was looking for, so this gives me more meat for my search. I'll also let you know what the result is from the SC tomorrow. Cheers and thanks!

Had the SC investigate, they say it's because there is a suspension-related part that didn't get fully painted at the factory and so as condensation builds (wherever it builds) and then gets blow onto this particular part, and runs along it, it creates surface level rust, which then can run out and manifest itself in what we see in the picture I posted. They ordered a special sealant from the factory which, when it arrives, they will remove the bumper, wipe away any rust on the surface, and spray/seal the part to prevent this from continuing.

A rust colored powder like material started appearing on the grill under the drivers headlight of my 2018 Model S. I tried researching this on the internet and found many similar questions but very few answers, so I am submitting this post for the benefit of other users. After taking my Model S to the service center, and having to agree to a potential labor charge to diagnose, it was found that there are frame members behind the grill that were rusting. They had to remove my bumper to see this. Apparently some of these members did not receive an anti corrosion treatment in the factory and are rusting as a result. This is a known issue to Tesla, but maybe not so well known to your local service center. The fix for this is they must apply the anti corrosion treatment to the member. In my case it must be ordered first, so I will have to take my car back for another visit and I expect it can be accomplished in one day, but I will have to update this after my service is complete. Hope this helps!