Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered M3--Smart phone next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get one - even a basic smartphone with 3g and bluetooth, because iPad (even mini) isn't really a handy car key (let alone a smart phone at that, Tesla)... and the iPod Touch will have to be on Wifi to lock / operate fan remotely, unless when you're on Wifi.

Just ordered a M3 but I don't have a cell phone, much less a smart phone. Is a smart phone necessary? (Life seems a little less cluttered without it, but my wife was hoping the M3 would lead me to get one.)
Same here! So I just got a Unihertz Jelly Pro smartphone
  • 4g
  • bluetooth
  • Android 7 (mfg. says they will push update to Android 8 soon)
  • only slightly larger than a typical key fob
  • $125 (Amazon)
  • Will use only for car access and emergency calls. I have T-Mobile prepaid plan and cost is 10 cents per minute talk or 10 cents per text with a minimum of $3 per month.
I don't know how well it will pair with the car, since I don't have the car yet! I will be doing a review on the Jelly Pro on TMC when I get back from holiday.

As someone that carries two flagship phones every day (Apple iPhone for work, Google Pixel 2 for personal) I would say yes, get one.

That being said, they can be an incredible time waster. I had to install an app that lets me see how much time I spend looking at different things in order to keep some balance between my real life and my digital life.

Just ordered a M3 but I don't have a cell phone, much less a smart phone. Is a smart phone necessary? (Life seems a little less cluttered without it, but my wife was hoping the M3 would lead me to get one.)

It's not necessary since the car can be unlocked and driven with the key cards only. You'd miss out on the functionality of remote access with the app to do things like start the HVAC before you get back to the car to pre-heat/cool the cabin and monitor charging time when away from the car.

You'd want to consider having a phone at least to make emergency calls, though, because there's no spare tire and basically no way to fix the car yourself if it dies on you somewhere remote.

Reactions: cellogig
It's not necessary since the car can be unlocked and driven with the key cards only. You'd miss out on the functionality of remote access with the app to do things like start the HVAC before you get back to the car to pre-heat/cool the cabin and monitor charging time when away from the car.

You'd want to consider having a phone at least to make emergency calls, though, because there's no spare tire and basically no way to fix the car yourself if it dies on you somewhere remote.
You list some persuasive reasons to get one. Thanks.

You list some persuasive reasons to get one. Thanks.

If you're getting a smartphone because of the Model 3, from the failure rates of the phone key with Android devices (and especially if you've never had a smartphone before) it might be better to go with an iPhone. As an example, my 65 year-old mother, who can barely use her computer, is able to do everything she needs to do with an iPhone. E-mail, video chat, various social media platforms, streaming video,etc. Most importantly, I never have to fix it for her. If you are technologically literate and willing to trade occasional bugs/glitches for more control over your phone, a flagship Android device could be better (and cheaper).

Without internet all it would be is a key? Can’t remote turn on or off anything?

Why not just use the keycard?

I can see the utility in this. If the Bluetooth on an iPod is reliable, it basically works as a key fob for hands-free entry, even without an Internet connection. Using the keycard, you still have to physically wave it at the sensor. Remote access would still work when connected to wi-fi too.

I ordered my model 3 last Tuesday-have to wait 3-6 weeks for delivery. I am in the same boat, never interested in cell phone at all and do not have one for over 10 years. I thought model 3 would have fobs like MS & MX-little disappointed. I'm looking for a used iphone to use as key-so long as it has wifi & bluetooth enable I'm fine.

I thought I read somewhere that you can use the data connection in the car to call for roadside assistance (or maybe I’m remembering that incorrectly). But I’d still say having one for emergencies is a good idea.

You have two options, OP:

If you are a libertarian nerd and you think that Apple is an evil company yet have no concern with a company like Google whose entire business is to sell you to advertisers then Android is for you.

Else you have Apple.

I thought I read somewhere that you can use the data connection in the car to call for roadside assistance (or maybe I’m remembering that incorrectly). But I’d still say having one for emergencies is a good idea.

I didn't see anyway in the car to make a call without a phone connected to Bluetooth. I also currently don't have my car to be able to check. You'd think this would be something they'd publicize pretty widely if true.

Wow lots of apple fans here. I will never buy an iphone....
But if your not technical, iphones are a bit more dumbed down so it may be a good choice. I would get the same thing your wife has so she can help you with learning it.

If phones are having a problem with bluetooth, I would suggest you get a phone with the latest bluetooth version. Iphone X or Pixel 2Xl would be good choices.

My guess as to the reason more android devices have bluetooth issues is simply because there are many more android devices than iphones. Both in quantity and models. Many Many Many more android models. Other than that I would think it's a problem with the model 3, or maybe it's just particular phones that already have bluetooth issues that are having problems. My pixel 2XL I can even have multiple devices paired with it at once, and it handles them like a champ.

In my Volt it has synced up perfect every time despite all the bluetooth issues people report. But lots of cars have issues with bluetooth, it's crazy how big of a problem this tends to be. At least with tesla there will probably be an OTA update to solve it.

Last edited:
Just try without it at first (only using the NFC card), only then decide for yourself if you actually need to have a phone and which one.

You can use the car with only the card. Things you'll miss :
- preconditioning the car (it's less of an issue than a gas car, in the winter at least, because it has instant heat.)
- keyless entry (you'll have to wave the card at the B-pillar and the center console for each drive.)
- to open the frunk, you'll have to use the screen (so wave card, sit in car, touch screen, get out, open frunk)

Are these worth the hassle for you of getting a smartphone ? Only you can decide, but I'd recommend first trying without.
As you've seen from the posters above you can't just get 'a smartphone' and be done with it. ;-)