Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered my 70D today after really struggling to decide if I should get the 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great points on this thread. I'm heavily leaning towards 70D because I'm a pretty conservative driver and I'm sure it's gong to be more than fast enough. My main concern was more about range here in the cold weather. However, the furthest I typically drive is 130 miles in a day. On occasion, 250 or so, but that's rare and there is a SC between here and there.

Plus it's just a battery swap and a software switch from being a 90D or a 110D or whatever is available in a few years when the battery gets worn.

In your case, with 130 miles in a day then I would go with 90D. Very cold weather zaps range a LOT. At 90% in my 70D I see about a rated range of 209 miles now. It drops in cold and your battery degrades some in first year more apparently. In very cold weather even with preheating, you should estimate having about 50% of that available, say 110 miles maybe. If you get stuck in very slow traffic and actually want to stay warm, even less.

I don't drive a lot so it has usually always been enough, but the cold weather and range loss combined will have me opting for the most range possible in the future MS/electric I own.

-T

We love our 70D and have zero regrets. With the superchargers in our area (NE) range has been zero issue. Like others here - we just couldn't justify the extra price for so little added range. We aren't speed demons and still to us, the 70D has more than enough acceleration. It will still make you grin and I love telling the awed friends we give test drives "and, this is the SLOW one!" - they can't believe it. You're going to love your car!

My wife and I went and test drove one a couple of weeks ago and after we were done my wife said "You have to get this car" and she's not a car person. I call it the Tesla effect.

Had a nearly identical experience. The test drive took my wife from "going along with it" to "gotta have it!". :love:

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose this conundrum affects people at every level of the product line: 70/90 or 70D/90D? 70x or 90x? 90D or P90D? P90D w/ Ludicrous Speed Mode or w/o?
Our order for our 90D finalizes today :smile: Our test drive was in a P90D w/ the works, but the sales guy programmed it to act like a 90D except at the very end
in order to show off Ludicrous Speed Mode (at my request). It would seem kind of silly to get a P90D w/o LSM, so the jump up from "plain" 90D to P90D+LSM is
an awful lot of money for incremental capability which, while undeniably fun, is certain to be a rarely-used toy.

Regarding the range difference between the 70 and the 90, I saw an interesting YouTube video that pointed out that there are extremely few (nearly none) routes
you can drive where the range difference would actually change the number of SC stops you'd need. The most benefit you'd get is a few minutes shorter charging
at one stop or another, insignificant in the context of a several hour multi-hundred-mile trip. To me, though, the difference is more one of (largely irrational) peace
of mind.

Our order for our 90D finalizes today :smile: Our test drive was in a P90D w/ the works, but the sales guy programmed it to act like a 90D...

I did the same thing. For my first test drive the sales person had it set to "Sport" which he said would be similar to the 90D I had order in the design center. I really wanted to drive the 90D but they did not have it in the showroom. He told me there should be one coming the following week...he was right. I came back for my 2nd test drive with the 90D and to me, there was a noticeable difference. Earlier this week, I took delivery of a P90D.

Had a nearly identical experience. The test drive took my wife from "going along with it" to "gotta have it!". :love:

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose this conundrum affects people at every level of the product line: 70/90 or 70D/90D? 70x or 90x? 90D or P90D? P90D w/ Ludicrous Speed Mode or w/o?
Our order for our 90D finalizes today :smile: Our test drive was in a P90D w/ the works, but the sales guy programmed it to act like a 90D except at the very end
in order to show off Ludicrous Speed Mode (at my request). It would seem kind of silly to get a P90D w/o LSM, so the jump up from "plain" 90D to P90D+LSM is
an awful lot of money for incremental capability which, while undeniably fun, is certain to be a rarely-used toy.

Regarding the range difference between the 70 and the 90, I saw an interesting YouTube video that pointed out that there are extremely few (nearly none) routes
you can drive where the range difference would actually change the number of SC stops you'd need. The most benefit you'd get is a few minutes shorter charging
at one stop or another, insignificant in the context of a several hour multi-hundred-mile trip. To me, though, the difference is more one of (largely irrational) peace
of mind.

Here is the video that made me rethink the upgrade to 90D. Tesla 70D vs 70 vs 85D vs 85 vs 90D vs P90D - YouTube

It also left some room to get some aftermarket stuff I wanted. I went with the standard 19 inch wheels and tires which I will remove immediately to put on 20 inch TSW Nurburing wheels with all season tires.

Congrats on the order. What color Nurburgrings do you plan on getting? Either way, I'd love to see some photos when you have them mounted as I'm considering the same wheels.

That is a helpful video. It helped convince me to upgrade from the 70D to the 90D. It really depends on where you live and plan to drive.

My daily drive is under 30 miles so range will never be an issue for me but I can definitely see value if you have a longer commute.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats on the order. What color Nurburgrings do you plan on getting? Either way, I'd love to see some photos when you have them mounted as I'm considering the same wheels.

I'm going to get the Gun Metal color. Looks really sharp with the Metallic Blue Paint

That's the one I was referring to above.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting. I would have thought it would have the opposite effect on most people. What was your reason for choosing the 90 over the 70?

Range is king where I live, drive, & visit. There are very few Superchargers and Destination chargers in my target spots today. The video highlighted those areas where more range could prove essential.

The tipping point for me was first test driving a S70D, a S70, and then a P85+ (similar performance to the S90D). All three were great and better than almost any other vehicle but I appreciated the improvement when entering and maneuvering on Houston highways.

The 70D is a great value and will be perfect for most people -- as will the Model Ξ. Who knows, in a few years, I might prefer the size of the Model Ξ and trade in my S90D for one. By that time, range will be a non-issue and the Ξ performance may be equivalent.

I also went back and forth even test drove twice and sat in each type of seats listen to the different stereos and even compared pano and not pano. I live in a suburb of Atlanta as anyone knows it's balls hot here in the summer not much winter so I decided on the base 70 with autopilot, upgraded stereo, cold weather package ( wife likes the heated steering wheel) premium interior standard seats I did not care for the next gen seats solid roof as the pano is hotter in the summer where at work I have to park outside. For me the difference was I got every option other than air suspension (which to me is one of the worst things on any car if you want to own it long term). There are supercharges all around where I would need to drive from Atlanta. The price difference for me was basically 18000 more for 58 miles of range I did not see that as a good value. I was getting all of those options regardless if it was a 90 or 70. I have a car that goes 0-225mph in 6.5 seconds so needing the p was not interesting to me at all it feels slow compare to that race car. I will say this wait is killing me lol.

There is a significant performance improvement from the 70D to the 90D. That's what tipped me into the 90D category. I will say though that the insane and ludicrous modes were crazy fast, but not worth that massive jump in price AND actually REDUCE range. The 90D is the sweet spot in my mind. 13 days until delivery!

I also went back and forth even test drove twice and sat in each type of seats listen to the different stereos and even compared pano and not pano. I live in a suburb of Atlanta as anyone knows it's balls hot here in the summer not much winter so I decided on the base 70 with autopilot, upgraded stereo, cold weather package ( wife likes the heated steering wheel) premium interior standard seats I did not care for the next gen seats solid roof as the pano is hotter in the summer where at work I have to park outside. For me the difference was I got every option other than air suspension (which to me is one of the worst things on any car if you want to own it long term). There are supercharges all around where I would need to drive from Atlanta. The price difference for me was basically 18000 more for 58 miles of range I did not see that as a good value. I was getting all of those options regardless if it was a 90 or 70. I have a car that goes 0-225mph in 6.5 seconds so needing the p was not interesting to me at all it feels slow compare to that race car. I will say this wait is killing me lol.

I was in the same boat I live in N Atlanta and actually was so anal about picking the must have options and which battery configuration to get I took a 70D for the weekend and made it clear for me on what to select.

If you'll get your car 4 weeks after delivery, that's great. I ordered mine in late July and didn't get it until the very end of September.

I have a P90D, Obsidian Blank with gray next gen seats, black headliner, air suspension, autopilot, and cold weather package. If I were to wind back the hands of time to when I ordered, the only thing I would do different is not spend another $3,000 to go from a 85kw to a 90kw battery. Given it was my first EV, I wanted the extra range. Now, having some experience, those extra 5KW are very expensive and really doesn't get you much.

And, as Tesla builds more and bigger SC locations, higher capacity KW batteries become even less of an issue.