Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordered my 70D today after really struggling to decide if I should get the 90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a really tough call

I look forward to following your posts as I have to make that same decision later this year.

I didn't want to regret not getting the "faster" car. Range wasn't an issue for me so it was more of performance thing. It's 13K for basically 1 second of 0-60 speed improvement and 45 miles of more range. What finally sold me on the 70D was comparing acceleration speeds of the other cars I've owned (BMWs, Infinitis, Audis, Cadillac) and it beat everyone of those cars by at least a full second not only from 0-60 but also the mid range speeds up to 70mph. This car will be plenty quick for me.

I got all the features I wanted (autopilot, pano roof, next gen seats, premium interior, Blue Metallic Paint, Rear facing child seats, sub zero package) for a price that I could live with. With the 90D I was into the 6 figure range and mentally just couldn't get over that :)

It also left some room to get some aftermarket stuff I wanted. I went with the standard 19 inch wheels and tires which I will remove immediately to put on 20 inch TSW Nurburing wheels with all season tires. I really liked the 21s Tesla offered but the Utah roads would destroy them. Also I'll save about 2K by getting the aftermarket set up.

It's easy to get caught up in the moment, hell I even considered a P90D for awhile but it just wasn't worth it to me in the end when I considered my daily driving habits. Sure it would be fun to blow someones pants off every now and again with insane mode but I couldn't justify the extra 30-35K.

I'll post more in 4 LOOONG weeks :)

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats!

Thanks! I really didn't think I'd own one this soon. My wife and I went and test drove one a couple of weeks ago and after we were done my wife said "You have to get this car" and she's not a car person. I call it the Tesla effect.

That's the exact build I would buy today if it makes you feel any better. Tan next gen and black headliner to be specific.

Vin 122398 was in the NY inventory for a few days last week with this exact config and listed as 2,066 miles while my sales advisor said it really had 852 miles and was being discounted $2,700.

enjoy the 70D - the config you purchased should be very easy to resell down the road (personal opinion because it is my perfect spec)

That's the exact build I would buy today if it makes you feel any better. Tan next gen and black headliner to be specific.

Vin 122398 was in the NY inventory for a few days last week with this exact config and listed as 2,066 miles while my sales advisor said it really had 852 miles and was being discounted $2,700.

enjoy the 70D - the config you purchased should be very easy to resell down the road (personal opinion because it is my perfect spec)

Haha, yeah I looked at that same car (via email) in New York. They don't last long. Last week there was a PERFECT car that had all the options I listed and was discounted $3800. Tesla rep called to buy it for me but it was being sold right then.

I did get the Tan Next Gen and the black headliner. Sounds like you have good taste!

The key is not driving the 90D (or the 85D in my case). Once you do, you can see the significant difference in acceleration over the 70. I made the mistake, but wasn't suckered into the P90D though! I knew better . . .

It's a very tough decision - one that I went back and forth on too - but ultimately, when you're paying 85k (my loaded 70D) what's another $13k for more performance, more range, better resale, and slightly faster supercharging?

- - - Updated - - -

It's easy to get caught up in the moment, hell I even considered a P90D for awhile but it just wasn't worth it to me in the end when I considered my daily driving habits. Sure it would be fun to blow someones pants off every now and again with insane mode but I couldn't justify the extra 30-35K.

I couldn't agree with this more!

I got all the features I wanted (autopilot, pano roof, next gen seats, premium interior, Blue Metallic Paint, Rear facing child seats, sub zero package) for a price that I could live with. With the 90D I was into the 6 figure range and mentally just couldn't get over that :smile:

Your car will be almost identical to mine :p.

- - - Updated - - -

If you're the type of person who gets something that's cheaper thinking "I don't want to spend the money on that more expensive thing, even though I really want it" and then later goes out and gets the more expensive thing, then maybe you should change your order ;). (I'm that way, so I've learned to just buy the thing I really want right away)

I thought about the 70D vs. 85D for a while (no 90D at the time). I got the 70D and I love it and no regrets. I didn't need the extra speed (I rarely even floor the 70D), and everywhere I drive it's SpC'ed, so the extra range while nice, wasn't necessary.

The key is not driving the 90D (or the 85D in my case). Once you do, you can see the significant difference in acceleration over the 70. I made the mistake, but wasn't suckered into the P90D though! I knew better . . .

It's a very tough decision - one that I went back and forth on too - but ultimately, when you're paying 85k (my loaded 70D) what's another $13k for more performance, more range, better resale, and slightly faster supercharging?

- - - Updated - - -

I couldn't agree with this more!

Yeah, I really thought long and hard about the 90D but in the end I think I'll be more than happy with the 70D. I'm leasing it so it would have cost another 6K over the life of the lease which isn't much but I just made the decision that the 70D was a good fit for me. I actually haven't even driven one. The Tesla dealership didn't have one on the lot. I've just driven a P85D.

Same here. I test drove a 90D but ordered a 70D. I spent the whole delivery wait worrying that the 70D would be sluggish. It's not. You can still blow the pants off of virtually every other car on the road.

I didn't want to regret not getting the "faster" car. Range wasn't an issue for me so it was more of performance thing. It's 13K for basically 1 second of 0-60 speed improvement and 45 miles of more range. What finally sold me on the 70D was comparing acceleration speeds of the other cars I've owned (BMWs, Infinitis, Audis, Cadillac) and it beat everyone of those cars by at least a full second not only from 0-60 but also the mid range speeds up to 70mph. This car will be plenty quick for me.

I got all the features I wanted (autopilot, pano roof, next gen seats, premium interior, Blue Metallic Paint, Rear facing child seats, sub zero package) for a price that I could live with. With the 90D I was into the 6 figure range and mentally just couldn't get over that :)

It also left some room to get some aftermarket stuff I wanted. I went with the standard 19 inch wheels and tires which I will remove immediately to put on 20 inch TSW Nurburing wheels with all season tires. I really liked the 21s Tesla offered but the Utah roads would destroy them. Also I'll save about 2K by getting the aftermarket set up.

I'll post more in 4 LOOONG weeks :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I really didn't think I'd own one this soon. My wife and I went and test drove one a couple of weeks ago and after we were done my wife said "You have to get this car" and she's not a car person. I call it the Tesla effect.

100% agree with your post! I was back and forth as well for awhile. I actually ordered and confirmed 85D but then they discontinued it. So it gave me a chance to rethink the whole purchase.... stuck with the 70D best value in my opinion. But it may not suite everyones needs, to each their own....

- - - Updated - - -

Finally ordered a well equipped Metallic Blue 70D. The next 4 weeks will be a struggle :)

Thanks to this website I was able to make an informed buying decisions.

Can't wait to get it!

Forgot to ask. did you use a referral code to get the $1200 in credit?

I struggled with the exact same problem before ordering. I decided on the 70D, and my saved money will be used to get Xpel on the whole vehicle. My delivery is late March/April, so sound like we'll be getting our cars around the same time.

100% agree with your post! I was back and forth as well for awhile. I actually ordered and confirmed 85D but then they discontinued it. So it gave me a chance to rethink the whole purchase.... stuck with the 70D best value in my opinion. But it may not suite everyones needs, to each their own....

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to ask. did you use a referral code to get the $1200 in credit?

Yeah I did the referral code. Just went down to tesla today and confirmed my order so no going back now!

Did the same here, got the 70D and love it. Technically it is the most efficient MS made still. Range isn't an issue right now for at least 6-7 years so figure if after that it is, battery tech will be way ahead of where it is now.

It isn't just the fact that the 70D is say 1 second faster on paper than a mid-sized BMW or so, but it just feels faster as well. There is really no lag, no shifting, no noise which feels faster. Rarely get to use speed in most urban areas with traffic these days anyway ;-)

Enjoy, and post some pics in time...

I'm glad to read I wasn't the only one with this dilemma. I just confirmed my order for the 70d but wanted to really talk myself into the 90d and couldn't find any real justification. Considering the car was for the wife who could care less about acceleration, we decided to save the money.

I think it wouldn't have been such an issue if the tesla store didn't give us a 90d for an overnight test drive. It blew our minds and I was worried the 70d would leave us wanting. But the 70d will still kick butt against most cars, but it'll be slower than the M3 it's replacing.

Great points on this thread. I'm heavily leaning towards 70D because I'm a pretty conservative driver and I'm sure it's gong to be more than fast enough. My main concern was more about range here in the cold weather. However, the furthest I typically drive is 130 miles in a day. On occasion, 250 or so, but that's rare and there is a SC between here and there.

Plus it's just a battery swap and a software switch from being a 90D or a 110D or whatever is available in a few years when the battery gets worn.

Here's some data from today in my 85D picked up on 11/30/2015 just 3 months ago with 5K miles on it. Ambient temperature here in Northern California on the SF Peninsula is 59F.

Started the day with full 90% charge from last night at 242 range miles this morning at 7AM. Speedometer shows this evening that I drove 74 miles today total at about 345 WHR/mile. The estimated remaining range miles is 142.