Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering a Model 3 as an existing owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The march 21 blog notes current owners will get priority, nothing on former owners.
"In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region."
ETA: so I missed the fact that you still have the car, but with a totaled title... that adds a level of grey to it ;)

Last edited:
Does that still apply if you reserve model 3 first, then purchase model s/x and take delivery in January?
It seems possible that doing as you describe could move your Model 3 reservation higher up in the queue but no one outside of the people at Tesla who control the Model 3 order process would know for sure. We are all just guessing.

The march 21 blog notes current owners will get priority, nothing on former owners.
"In order to be as fair as possible, there will be a different queue for each region. And as a thank you to our current owners, existing customers will get priority in each region."
ETA: so I missed the fact that you still have the car, but with a totaled title... that adds a level of grey to it ;)

Why is the OP a "former owner"? If a car was bought, they are a Tesla owner. Just because they will not be coming in for service annually with the totaled car doesn't mean they should be treated differently. How would Tesla even know that the car is totaled unless they processed the towing details and actually marked it somehow in the database to say they know it was totaled. Why would a manufacturer ever need to know or care to know about a totaled car - unless it is linked to cancellation and pro-rating a refund of a four-year annual service contract. I would hope they can offer the OP same-status as a current Tesla owner. Every "former owner" helped grow the company and is indeed just as valuable as current owners.

I wonder if a CPO buyer today is "more current a Tesla owner" than the OP is for buying new earlier in the cycle? Anyone who has ever bought a Tesla (new or CPO) should be treated the same.

Why is the OP a "former owner"? If a car was bought, they are a Tesla owner. Just because they will not be coming in for service annually with the totaled car doesn't mean they should be treated differently. How would Tesla even know that the car is totaled unless they processed the towing details and actually marked it somehow in the database to say they know it was totaled. Why would a manufacturer ever need to know or care to know about a totaled car - unless it is linked to cancellation and pro-rating a refund of a four-year annual service contract. I would hope they can offer the OP same-status as a current Tesla owner. Every "former owner" helped grow the company and is indeed just as valuable as current owners.

I wonder if a CPO buyer today is "more current a Tesla owner" than the OP is for buying new earlier in the cycle? Anyone who has ever bought a Tesla (new or CPO) should be treated the same.
It really shouldn't matter if you still own one. The reason they are given priority is as a thank you for their support of Tesla, i.e. having purchased one. The fact that they don't still own it shouldn't matter. The profits from that sale have already been used to develop the M3.