Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering a Model 3 in Texas vs. Ontario (Canada)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I'm looking to order a Model 3 and the delivery date is looking like Sept - Dec 2022.

However, I'm relocating from Ontario to Texas in October 2022. If I placed an order in Ontario, Canada, will I be allowed to take delivery in Texas if I have already left? I am of course happy to pay the difference in price.

Will there be any issues bringing the car from Ontario to Texas and registering with TxDMV, assuming I receive the certificate from Tesla certifying that the car is built to the same standards?

Thanks in advance.

On the topic of changing where to take delivery, the Tesla rep who will eventually be assigned to you prior to delivery should be able to answer that better than I can. Just remember that Texas is still being “difficult” towards Tesla. It doesn’t add too much complexity other than the whole “car must be paid for before it crosses into Texas”.

Last edited:

On the topic of changing where to take delivery, the Tesla rep who will eventually be assigned to you prior to delivery should be able to answer that better than I can. Just remember that Texas is still being “difficult” towards Tesla. It doesn’t add too much complexity other than the whole “car must be paid for before it crosses into Texas”.
Thank you. I decided to order it from Texas instead to minimize any issues, as others have recommended.

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy