Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering advice - Model 3 closest to $35k offering w/o incentives

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
I haven't really been keeping up with the configuration process totally because, well, I have my car. ;) Anyway...

A friend of ours has a reservation from the first day line for Model 3, and is asking for advice because the Tesla folks she's talking to are (of course) steering her toward the "Configured Price $38,400" with "Vehicle Price $39,600" (I'm guessing that delta is the $1200 destination fee?).
She's been holding out for the $35k vehicle, and would probably take the vehicle without paint (just primer) if that was necessary. I'm aware that recently it's been bumped to $400 and before that it they took it "off-menu" (i.e. you have to talk to a human instead of just clicking the web page...).

For those that have successfully received such a vehicle recently but ordered after it went "off-menu", can you give some tips on the best path to get the task accomplished?

Is it...
1. Configure the cheapest on the website at Tesla business open (morning PT)
2. Call them up immediately and wait on hold until you get a human
3. Hold firm that you either (a) want the car reconfigured to "SR lowest price" or (b) want to cancel the order immediately

Or another approach?

Thanks.

I haven’t ordered mine yet, but my advisor told me to order an SR+ with the options I want then call or text her to tell her I want to downgrade and she will do the rest. Ordering online I can also use the referral code.

I ordered SR+ and contacted Tesla to downgrade it but they didn't get to it. When the car was ready (VIN showed on Tesla.com), they contacted me and I told them I wanted the base SR with No Autopilot and they made that change within a couple hours (same VIN).

I show over 100 cars in inventory at my location in Southern California, with quite a few of them being SR+ models. Any car that is showing as an SR+ can be downgraded to an SR by speaking to a Tesla rep. Or you can place an order for an SR+ and then request the downgrade through a rep as well.

It will be black, black interior, no Autopilot, 220 miles of range. But a very good deal at $35,400.

Yes, one day ago

If you didnt take a test drive you would be within your return period. If you are thinking of doing this you need to think and act quickly (very quickly). You might need to return it and get another Vin. If you DID take a test drive I think the return period is different. Once you are past your return period, expect there to be no recourse at all.

I wasn’t 100% sure. Sales guy said I can change afterwards, so I ordered SR+. I just more wondering if I could. I haven’t had chance to try AP yet, will try on my commute tomorrow to work

I do notice the soft Tesla paint though

There’s a long line of people who were told they could downgrade from SR+ to SR and have been waiting around to see if and when Tesla will actually allow them to do this. I wouldn’t hold my breath. If you really want the SR your best bet is unfortunately to return the car and start over.

Reactions: Leafdriver333
There’s a long line of people who were told they could downgrade from SR+ to SR and have been waiting around to see if and when Tesla will actually allow them to do this. I wouldn’t hold my breath. If you really want the SR your best bet is unfortunately to return the car and start over.
but if he likes AP and the car doesn't really have major QC issues, it would be better to keep SR+ for the extra 20 mile range, if he need those 20 extra miles often...maybe.
Everyone who buys SR+ now is crazy. SR is the car to buy if you are not buying a LR.
And Tesla is crazy for having SR still available.

Thanks for all the info. I had hard time deciding SR, SR+ and LR beforehand. I do have wall mounted charger so I can charge daily (I think it’s about 40 miles/hr rate). I just was hesitant on the monthly payment for LR being almost $220 higher than the car I’m getting rid of.

Personally I’d either go for the SR without AP at $35,400 if I didn’t want AP.

Or, if I wanted AP, I would go for the LR RWD with AP for $45,900. It’s $6K more than the SR+ but you get so much more for the $6K. On resale I would count on getting at least an extra $3K back versus the SR+, so for the net extra of $3K you get a lot more car for the money.