Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Model S 75D - no 72Amp charger available on this model?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As of now, and who knows tomorrow, only the 100kWh models have the 72Amp charger. The upgrade is not available from the factory or 'legally' from Service Centers. Some have said their Service Center will still do it if you ask in person, if they can get the part, etc.

does this mean that the 72amp charger was only included with the 75 for like a week or so?

I first layed down my 1k deposit for a 75D i june, then I cancelled it due to the changes. This one did not have the "high amp charger"

Then ordered my 75D last saturday (same day as the new changes took effect), and it specificly says "high amp charger" on my PDF sheet.

does this mean that the 72amp charger was only included with the 75 for like a week or so?

I first layed down my 1k deposit for a 75D i june, then I cancelled it due to the changes. This one did not have the "high amp charger"

Then ordered my 75D last saturday (same day as the new changes took effect), and it specificly says "high amp charger" on my PDF sheet.

Ordered 75D on the same day, Saturday, and did not have the"high amp charger" on my order. What gives?

When we ordered our S 100D, the 72A charger was an upgrade ($1500?); which is now included standard with the 100D's.

Based on our experience with our 2012 S P85, with an 80A charger, we didn't need the extra charging speed - and saved $ by staying with the 48A charger.

Our S P85 now charges on a 32A 14-50 outlet - and the S 100D chargers on an HPWC set to 48A - and both cars are able to fully recharge overnight.

For overnight charging, assuming the car is kept between 10-90%, the longest we'd need to charge (to get 80% of charge) would be about 8 hours. An S75 would recharge in less time.

At least for overnight charging, the standard 48A charger should be fast enough (even with a 100 battery pack).

The only time you would need faster charger would be if you need to quickly recharge during the day. Assuming that is typically done at a Supercharger (Tesla is building more urban superchargers), then, at least for most cars, the faster onboard charger may never be needed or used.

Based on our experience, a 48A charger should be fine for most drivers.

Or if you're having to share overnight destination charging with others (assuming the HPWC is >48A, and many aren't).
Right, the main use case for the 72 Amp charger is at a destination charger that is 80 or 72 Amps and you want either to get on the road as quickly as possible or get off it so others can use it. I've had this exact case with someone who used my HPWC on PlugShare on a cold day and wished he had a 72. But for some people, those cases are few and far between.

Of course, right now, there is no choice. You get either the 48 or 72, and that's it, unless you go the non-standard route of trying to find a SC that will upgrade your 48 to a 72, since it's not a normal option any longer.