Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ordering Process

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Couple of weeks ago I placed an order for Tesla Model Y (my first Tesla) and completed the information it was asking my (Delivery Location, Registration, Trade-In) except Payment Method. I know I am interested in getting a loan for the car either through Tesla or my own Bank but since I do not know when the car will be ready for delivery I do not want to go through the application process now and get my credit checked and do another credit check when then car will be ready for delivery (on the website it says the credit check is only valid for 60 days and I am sure it will take more than 60 days for my car to be delivered to me and running my credit check multiple times will bring my credit score down, Also I talked to my bank and they said the same thing).

I am sure I am not the first person in this situation so can you please let me know what you have done in your case? Will Tesla contact me when the car is ready and then I can proceed with the financing option at that time? I want to make sure the fact that I have not selected my payment method now it will not delay the process of me getting the car.

Attachments

• tesla.PNG
    tesla.PNG
    20.4 KB · Views: 146
Hello,

Couple of weeks ago I placed an order for Tesla Model Y (my first Tesla) and completed the information it was asking my (Delivery Location, Registration, Trade-In) except Payment Method. I know I am interested in getting a loan for the car either through Tesla or my own Bank but since I do not know when the car will be ready for delivery I do not want to go through the application process now and get my credit checked and do another credit check when then car will be ready for delivery (on the website it says the credit check is only valid for 60 days and I am sure it will take more than 60 days for my car to be delivered to me and running my credit check multiple times will bring my credit score down, Also I talked to my bank and they said the same thing).

I am sure I am not the first person in this situation so can you please let me know what you have done in your case? Will Tesla contact me when the car is ready and then I can proceed with the financing option at that time? I want to make sure the fact that I have not selected my payment method now it will not delay the process of me getting the car.

Smart!. Do not apply for the loan until you hear from a delivery advisor. They made many of us complete all steps with no VIN or any progress for weeks. Now that the factory is shutdown, we may be looking at 2-3 months or even longer wait time to get a MY.

Not completing finance step will have no impact on your delivery time frame. A delivery advisor will reach out to you once their system assigns a VIN to your order.

The messed up thing is that they opened all steps to many folks in the past few weeks with no plans to assign VIN or deliver car.

Last edited:
Smart!. Do not apply for the loan until you hear from a delivery advisor. They made many of us complete all steps with no VIN or any progress for weeks. Now that the factory is shutdown, we may be looking at 2-3 months or even longer wait time to get a MY.

Not completing finance step will have no impact on your delivery time frame. A delivery advisor will reach out to you once their system assigns a VIN to your order.

The messed up thing is that they opened all steps to many folks in the past few weeks with no plans to assign VIN or deliver car.

I'm also stuck at:
"
Next Steps
We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment."

While it makes it seem like this could happen any day, I'm hearing I'll have quite the wait ahead of me...

I'm also stuck at:
"
Next Steps
We are drafting up your contract and will contact you when you can make your final payment."

While it makes it seem like this could happen any day, I'm hearing I'll have quite the wait ahead of me...
With the factory closed, new vehicles won’t likely be delivered to delivery centers until the end of May at the earliest. This was info passed on by my sales advisor who said “this is merely my speculation, but...”

With the factory closed, new vehicles won’t likely be delivered to delivery centers until the end of May at the earliest. This was info passed on by my sales advisor who said “this is merely my speculation, but...”
While I know that is almost certainly the absolute right answer, there's that little hopeful part of me that wants to believe that somehow, Tesla has one sitting there that was assembled before COVID-19 shut everything down that maybe someone canceled their purchase that happened to be for my area and I just happened to get really lucky!

And now, I realize that was one really long sentence. But on a serious note, thanks for the insight. That's kind of what I expect. In fact, I'd bet I have several months of waiting ahead of me.

What version did you order? If it was the LR Performance, with black interior you may not have that long to wait. I ordered LR with performance at the end of Feb and I got a call that my vehicle would be delivered by the end of March. That was right before everything was shut down, so I still don't have my car. I ordered the white interior, otherwise I am sure I would have gotten it before the lock down. Since so many people paused on their order.