Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OTAs and Customer Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car received the 2024.14.9 OTA this week. With that, came issues with Apple Music. The service stopped working. I couldn’t get anything to play. Other services were working fine.

I logged out of Apple Music, hoping that logging back in would resolve the issue. The app would no longer generate a QR code to log back in. The app was failing.

I restarted my car. For another 24hrs or so, I still couldn’t get a QR code. Yesterday, the QR code finally popped up. So I logged in. The car did not pickup the login request. I waited until afternoon and tried again. It took me 2 more tries to get logged in. Everything is mostly back to how it was before the OTA.

This is a frustrating experience as a Tesla owner. I know tech, so I knew how to troubleshoot, but it still took days to resolve the issue. I could have put in a service request, but that wouldn’t have guaranteed a same day resolution.

As more and more normies look at switching to EVs, the last thing they need to worry about is knowing how to contact customer service about a software issue. A lot of people will want to get rid of their vehicle as soon as an OTA “breaks” something. They don’t want to deal with it at all. They just want things to work.

Most of us that know about this forum, also know about how Tesla does business. We know where to go and who to contact. We are the minority.

OTAs can be fun and great and is certainly better than having to schedule time at a dealership. But they also bring risk to the customer and their experience which brings risk that those customers will abandon the brand or worse, they’ll go back to an ICEV.

Tesla needs to provide better information to customers about what to do if an issue pops up. There should be ways to ask for help through the screen in the cars. Prompts when the software detects repeated issues. And a team available and ready to understand customer issues and direct them to the resources that can provide an speedy resolution.

The service request option is not clear. It causes confusion and almost feels hidden to people who are new to Tesla vehicles. It’s not fun to have to schedule a service center appointment because you’re having software issues. Then later be told they can fix it over the air.

This is why companies have customer service departments. If Tesla doesn’t want to have a normal CS department, then they need to utilize the technology to provide a more intuitive way for people to find the help they need.

Also; don’t break sh*t with your OTAs. Even if testing shows all is good - you still need to expect some customers will be the outliers and have unexpected issues that need resolved. Have a way to resolve those issues without the friction that currently exists.

As with a lot of software. But how does that help someone resolve the issue?

It doesn't. You takes your chances with subsequent updates as well.

For three months I regularly updated (not my normal behaviour, I usualy put as much time between updates as possible) because I was really hoping to fix the borked wipers and stop the dry swiping. No such luck so I stopped all updates (including the recalls) until I was required to update by tesla service when I had warranty work done.

I just updated to 14.9 because the person who actually likes our tesla wanted the new UI.

He knows speed control may break, that Spotify will work differently, that we'll be forced visualizations when we don't give an eff about them. I'm not looking forward to most of the changes but aside from buying myself my own car so I don't have to drive this POS, there is no solution to our impasse. And buying a second car still means I have to ride in this one and completely goes against our reason for buying the tesla in the first place - to reduce environmental footprint.