Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of Order Supercharger Stalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went to a supercharger station today and hit two of them that were out of order. It's really a huge luck of the draw since there's no way to see which ones are out of order. I did the thing where you loop the cable up and over the charger so hopefully the next person doesn't waste their time. Unfortunately another guy drove in and went ahead and plugged in, then left his car (it's at a shopping center). So one of two possibilities:

1. It wasn't working for me, but it did work for him (can that happen?)
  2. It didn't charge for him, he'll come back in a bit pretty disappointed.
Another random thing I saw, there were some EVgo spots in the same part of the parking lot and I watched a guy pull up and charge his Model Y there instead of the supercharger. Might have been two things:
  1. He wanted to test his fancy Chademo adapter
  2. He has some fancy deal or credit with EVgo that he has to use up

That's all. Have a great Sunday evening.

Reactions: RTPEV
I hear ya. I really wish that there was even a tiny bit more information conveyed to drivers as they arrive at a Supercharger site regarding which stalls it recommends you plug into (surely the data is available) including taking into account available power for shared pedestals (important at V2 sites).

I had somewhat the opposite situation at ElectrifyAmerica sites on a recent trip in my wife's ID.4. As we neared each station I would pull up the EA app where it would clearly show which stalls were UNAVAILABLE and I could be ready to recommend to my wife (driving) which stall to plug into (with all the different speeds and the one CHAdeMO-capable stall, it's a bit tricky to find the optimal stall while trying to keep the 350kW and CHAdeMO stalls available for cars that need them). Anyway, at practically every site we went to at least one of the stalls appeared as UNAVAILABLE in the app, but there did not appear to be anything wrong with them. In fact, we saw cars successfully using those stalls. I have no idea why they showed up as UNAVAILABLE. This was a problem for us because she gets free charging on EA, but needs to use the app to initiate charging, so those stalls were out of bounds for us.

As for the EVgo situation, I used to have a few years of free charging at EVgo stations leftover from a Nissan LEAF purchase I made. Maybe it's something similar with the Model Y owner.

Anyway, at practically every site we went to at least one of the stalls appeared as UNAVAILABLE in the app, but there did not appear to be anything wrong with them. In fact, we saw cars successfully using those stalls. I have no idea why they showed up as UNAVAILABLE.
Might they have been showing up as UNAVAILABLE because they were in use?

FWIW, there's an EA station in Providence that's had one stall out of service for a while now. It's pretty obvious which one is bad, particularly at night, because its green lights are out. That signal is likely not present for all out-of-order EA stalls, but it is for some. I haven't encountered many out-of-order Superchargers, so I don't know if there might be other obvious signals of their status.

Might they have been showing up as UNAVAILABLE because they were in use?

FWIW, there's an EA station in Providence that's had one stall out of service for a while now. It's pretty obvious which one is bad, particularly at night, because its green lights are out. That signal is likely not present for all out-of-order EA stalls, but it is for some. I haven't encountered many out-of-order Superchargers, so I don't know if there might be other obvious signals of their status.
No, I'm pretty sure that's not the case. At one stop (4 stall) charger #3 was showing as UNAVAILABLE, which at first it was, as there was a car charging at it. We waited for stall #4 to open up, pulled the car into it, and the app properly showed AVAILABLE. We commenced charging, but couldn't pull a consistent charge rate from it. Meanwhile stall #3 opens up. We consider moving to stall #3 to see if we can get a better charge rate, but the app continues to show UNAVAILABLE. Stalls #1 and #2 are in use and #3 sits empty. Finally #2 opens up and we decide to move to it, but just as we unplug, a Bolt pulls up. I try like hell to convince them to use #3 or #4 (the one we are vacating) but they insist that their Bolt pulls the full 350kW (#1 and #2 are 350kW stations). (they even showed me the extra two pins on their connector that they paid extra for that gives them charging to "263" and that they have one of the new Bolts that can do it--yes, I am dead serious here!) They park in stall #3, but grab the connector of #2 as I plant my palm on my forehead--I could not convince them that the two connectors on stall #2 were not independent!

Fortunately #1 opens up so we pull into it--the app correctly shows #1 as AVAILABLE and we are off to the races with a consistent 100kW+ charge rate. Meanwhile a Polestar 2 pulls up and parks in stall #2, not aware of what the Bolt is trying to do by using stall #2's connector. He plugs in and gets a charge going before the Bolt owner is able to activate his connector. Surprise, surprise he couldn't get it to work, so he plugs into #3 after all and gets exactly the 50kW we told him he would get.

At another station (Richmond, VA -- 8 stall) we show up and 3 stations are showing as UNAVAILABLE. We are the only ones at this station for the entire 40 minutes we were there. Now station #6 was actually UNAVAILABLE. The station was at a Windows error screen. But #3 and #4 which also showed UNAVAILABLE looked ready to charge. I can't confirm that they did actually work, of course because we plugged into #7, but in the 5 stations we stopped at, 4 of them had what appeared to be unexplained UNAVAILABLE stations that otherwise looked fine, an in some cases I actually saw other patrons using them both before and after it was empty. So I'm pretty sure it is some glitch with their network communication in their app.

How do I report out if order Supercharger stalls? I just hit a 2nd bad connection in 4 tries. My luck isn't great with these.

I looked the cable over it and the next guy got the message, but I wasted my time again first.

The screen does show one out of order but 2 stalls were available and I guessed wrong.

Thanks,