Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of state dealer purchase - double state sales tax?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curiosity question just in case an offer I may make was to be accepted....

I live in a state in which upon private sale the buyer needs to pay sales tax upon registration of the purchased car. So if I was to buy a used Tesla from a dealer in another state would I need to pay that state sales tax (ie to the state where Tesla is currently located) on the purchase and pay my own states sales tax as well?

What state are you in? You typically only pay the sales tax of the state you register the car in I believe. That's how it was in Texas with a new car purchase at least.

Minne-soh-dah

Most every car I've bought has been "out of state" and the selling state does not charge sales tax to out-of-state buyers, and you just pay sales tax at registration.

California is one exception if you take delivery of a car in CA, they do collect CA sales tax.

Other states, YMMV.

Seems that MN is very fair in terms of state sales tax and out of state purchases:

Vehicles purchased in another state

When you are required to pay another states sales tax, Minnesota allows credit for that sales tax paid. However, if the sales tax rate you paid is lower than Minnesota’s, you owe the difference. The Motor Vehicle Sales Tax is paid directly to a deputy registrar or the Driver and Vehicle Services Division (DVS) at the time the title is transferred.

http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/businesses/sut/factsheets/FS125.pdf