Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Out of Warranty 2013 MS 85 w BMS_u029: Should I save $510 and go straight to a 3rd party SC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an out-of-warranty 2013 MS 85 that recently received the BMS_u029 / "Maximum battery charge level reduced" message.
Tesla SC wants to charge $510 for diagnosis, but should I save that $$$ and apply it towards taking my vehicle to @Recell (which is closer to me than the other 3rd party options)?

I'm thinking that Tesla will do the diagnosis and quote me $12k-$22k like they have with most people on here.

I think your summary of the likely outcome is correct, Tesla’s gonna do a 5 minute “diagnosis” for the 2 hours of shop time they’re billing you and offer a new or reman pack in the price range you posted.

If you’re not inclined to proceed with that repair at their costs, I’d probably not waste my time at the SC.

An independent would be a better pick, less likely to throw parts at the problem.
Tesla quoted me $18k for a new battery -- $20.5k with parts, labor and tax.
Recell quoted $8k.

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 9.15.03 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Yurand
That’s the first time I’ve seen a “-D” rev of that battery part number

Not sure if you noticed it's not a 1014116 90kWh/350v pack.

The 1014114 is an old 85kWh/400v pack and we have even seen it with revision E and F. What's interesting is that the invoice does not mention anything if it's a reman or not and what the kWh/voltage of the pack is. The 1014114-00-D is not a new battery and is already on some older cars, like 2014 models. Also, the price is a bit off. The $18,000 can't be a reman, but maybe for a new NEW?

Not sure if you noticed it's not a 1014116 90kWh/350v pack.

The 1014114 is an old 85kWh/400v pack and we have even seen it with revision E and F. What's interesting is that the invoice does not mention anything if it's a reman or not and what the kWh/voltage of the pack is. The 1014114-00-D is not a new battery and is already on some older cars, like 2014 models. Also, the price is a bit off. The $18,000 can't be a reman, but maybe for a new NEW?
Thanks, I'm confusing the part numbers.

Reactions: Droschke
Is that pack# number "available" or left in the system from the last repair?
My current pack is 1014114-00-D 85kWh 400VDC -- this is a late 2013 / 2014 pack so this makes sense because my vehicle is a December 2013.
The service estimate says, "Parts Replaced or Added" so I think they're referencing the old pack to be replaced and didn't put in the new pack #.
I've asked the SC for clarification but they are not very responsive. They'll send a bunch of messages all at once and then I don't hear from them for days. They've already pushed out my appointment for 2 weeks.

My current pack is 1014114-00-D 85kWh 400VDC -- this is a late 2013 / 2014 pack so this makes sense because my vehicle is a December 2013.
The service estimate says, "Parts Replaced or Added" so I think they're referencing the old pack to be replaced and didn't put in the new pack #.
I've asked the SC for clarification but they are not very responsive. They'll send a bunch of messages all at once and then I don't hear from them for days. They've already pushed out my appointment for 2 weeks.
Yet they wanted me in ASAP, 1 week ahead of my appt, I think so they could remove my pack and refurb it for someone else?? I had no complaints about my capacity: still had 245 miles range at 100%.

The question to ask is not ‘what is the car’s value?’ but rather how much do I like the car and how long I want to keep it? If you like the car and plan to keep it long term than a new battery with a 4 year warranty can be justified even future repair costs for other items. But if you’re only contemplating holding on to the car for a couple years then your decision is to replace with a refurbished battery or abandon any repair. I have a 2013 Forest Green Model S which I love and if faced with the decision to replace new or refurbish I would choose new as I plan to keep the car for at least 4 years more.

Yet they wanted me in ASAP, 1 week ahead of my appt, I think so they could remove my pack and refurb it for someone else?? I had no complaints about my capacity: still had 245 miles range at 100%.
My app says that the estimate is outdated, contact the service advisor ... I'm asking my SC for a quote on the refurb battery and they give me the same canned response: "We do not pick what pack or part number we use it is up to the distribution center ..." Hope that's not the case.

Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 3.36.33 PM.png