Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2013 S85 Battery Replacement (Out of warranty) - my experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
NDA's. How do you think they kept the Theranos scam under wraps for 10+ years? And that scam was a 1000 orders of magnitude larger than Battery-Gate and was affecting people's heath before someone finally mustered up the courage to go against their NDA.

NDAs don’t work like that. They’re generally unenforceable against allegations of illegal activity. We see the term “whistleblower” thrown around whenever stories of hidden fraud surface, and that’s because their disclosure is protected under statute.

I genuinely don’t think that this is some master plan that Tesla is executing. But rather what’s happening is that with each software update some of the tolerances are getting smaller as a relates to the battery and battery health. As a result more things are popping up as faults and causing the battery to shut down to protect itself than what it may have been in the past.

I had my P 85, 2013 model S battery fail back in September 2022. Unfortunately it was out of warranty and I had to deal with the same issues on this thread. In the end Tesla ran out of 85s so they put a brand new 90 in and did not software limited.
Can you expand on the various aspects of your Tesla battery service timeline etc? Or point us to a thread that outlines your experience? What was your cost for the 90kwh total etc. how long without the car?

Can you expand on the various aspects of your Tesla battery service timeline etc? Or point us to a thread that outlines your experience? What was your cost for the 90kwh total etc. how long without the car?
Sure

Here’s the original thread.

There's some deep, dark cynicism here.

Imagine the folks in charge at Tesla felt that way. They flipped a switch and batteries started to "fail." How many employees would have to be in the loop? Dozens? Hundreds? How do you prevent just one of them from growing a conscience and running to the LA Times? Investigations follow, then lawsuits. Discovery opens up internal communications, and you can't hide the evidence behind such a thing because it requires software changes. Tesla would cease to exist as a company shortly after that point.

Even if someone was that evil, the risks so far exceed any possible reward that it would be an impossibly bad business move. Nobody is conspiring to unnecessarily sell you a battery. Especially in a time when battery demand far outstrips supply.

"Never attribute to malice, that which is better explained by stupidity." (Or incompetence)

Some fun tidbits: Tesla wants to tell the customer that the estimates are "legally binding when approved" yet they can change them after the fact and don't seem to care. ALSO and this is probably worse - they have said directly that anything that THEY say in the messaging is NOT legally binding on THEM.... So everything is always in their favor. This right here is the biggest reason to avoid doing anything with them, without recording EVERYTHING. They WILL lie to your face in person, make stuff up in the messaging, and just change the facts (and prices) to suit them whenever needed. Since it's near impossible to get an actual human to talk directly with, this is virtually impossible to work around.

Having a giant conspiracy take place undetected within an organization that has such dysfunctional communication practices.... Is far too plausible. Most of the employees haven't even been there very long, b/c if they are, they get caught up in the quarterly purges. Certainly anyone that shows ANY vestiges of customer service, is likely to have their time in the guillotine moved up considerably.

Yeah, I'm a lot cynical about it... But these are the same assholes that decided months after the fact (and with a completely different owner of the car!) that they saw an opportunity to lock the battery and hold the balance for ransom to make a quick profit. Trust them I do NOT.

"Never attribute to malice, that which is better explained by stupidity." (Or incompetence)

Some fun tidbits: Tesla wants to tell the customer that the estimates are "legally binding when approved" yet they can change them after the fact and don't seem to care. ALSO and this is probably worse - they have said directly that anything that THEY say in the messaging is NOT legally binding on THEM.... So everything is always in their favor. This right here is the biggest reason to avoid doing anything with them, without recording EVERYTHING. They WILL lie to your face in person, make stuff up in the messaging, and just change the facts (and prices) to suit them whenever needed. Since it's near impossible to get an actual human to talk directly with, this is virtually impossible to work around.

Having a giant conspiracy take place undetected within an organization that has such dysfunctional communication practices.... Is far too plausible. Most of the employees haven't even been there very long, b/c if they are, they get caught up in the quarterly purges. Certainly anyone that shows ANY vestiges of customer service, is likely to have their time in the guillotine moved up considerably.

Yeah, I'm a lot cynical about it... But these are the same assholes that decided months after the fact (and with a completely different owner of the car!) that they saw an opportunity to lock the battery and hold the balance for ransom to make a quick profit. Trust them I do NOT.

Some of the employees may well know they are doing the wrong thing but are beholden to Tesla for their jobs and stock options.

The better ones seek greener pastures.

The ones left behind become increasingly worthless, yet "Useful Idiots"

Reactions: Russell and geordi
Wait a moment, i thought Tesla “ironed out the kinks” in the newer packs. Why do I keep seeing things like this “new hv battery in a 2019 100”?
IMG_3399.jpeg

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Wait a moment, i thought Tesla “ironed out the kinks” in the newer packs. Why do I keep seeing things like this “new hv battery in a 2019 100”?
Because things fail? Look how many engines Hyundai/Kia have to replace under their 10 year/100k mile warranty.

Volume has gone up significantly, had the percentage that need repair gone up or down? (Likely only Tesla knows.)