Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outer rim scratched. Help.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• IMG_20190616_145711.jpg
    IMG_20190616_145711.jpg
    368.1 KB · Views: 413
I paid a mobile rim repair guy in San Diego $150 to repair mine a couple of weeks ago. Took him about 20 minutes or so. Looks like new. Then I did it again yesterday, almost cried!

The rim repair guy said he needs to thank Tesla for their rim design. He’s fixed hundreds of them in the last year or so.

The problem isn't Tesla or their rims. The problem is that MANY MANY of the people driving them are coming from SUV's or trucks or economy type cars (sub 15 or 16" rims). What all these rims have is a higher sidewall. Higher sidewall makes it easier for the rubber to be outside the edge of the wheel.

Basically any sporty car or car with low profile tires in the 18"+ category will have rims that stick out. If you take someone that has always driven slightly higher end to higher end vehicles they likely won't curb them because they know the dangers. But people used to other vehicle types are used to it not really being a big deal because the rubber takes it so they drive poorly and hit them.

Like I can't even imagine how bad of a driver you would have to be to curb it by taking a corner too tight....it's FAR from a big car.

The problem isn't Tesla or their rims. The problem is that MANY MANY of the people driving them are coming from SUV's or trucks or economy type cars (sub 15 or 16" rims). What all these rims have is a higher sidewall. Higher sidewall makes it easier for the rubber to be outside the edge of the wheel.

Basically any sporty car or car with low profile tires in the 18"+ category will have rims that stick out. If you take someone that has always driven slightly higher end to higher end vehicles they likely won't curb them because they know the dangers. But people used to other vehicle types are used to it not really being a big deal because the rubber takes it so they drive poorly and hit them.

Like I can't even imagine how bad of a driver you would have to be to curb it by taking a corner too tight....it's FAR from a big car.

Well, whatever. I’m middle aged and have had about a dozen different sports cars in my life. I’ve never scratched a rim until now. Hopefully it’s not age creeping up on me.

Diy, take wheel off or leave in place, sand affected area with appropriate grit sandpaper or use dremel with grinding stone. Paint over the area with the Duplicolor mentioned in the video above. Put several coats, this will fill in deeper gouges and apply clear coat. This should be sufficient to hide all but the worse curb rash.

I have done this all four wheels, after a while you become fairly good at it. :D

Nice info comparison thanks

Do it yourself for $15 like so many have been doing for over a year. Some would argue that anyone who pays someone to handle this EASY fix is either lazy or stupid or both. Some would say that - not me, I'm not that brutally honest or all that controversial....haha

Agree, if it's not too bad, just sanding and the using the duplicolor paint and clearcoat and you can get a reasonable looking repair. I did gouge the front passenger rim badly one time and needed to sand down and fill with some 3M Bondo and then paint over with the duplicolor pain/clear coat. Honestly not a difficult repair.

Reactions: Timmy T.
Status
Not open for further replies.