Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outside of the windshield fogging up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I had a weird thing happen. As soon as I got into the car, the windshield started fogging up. It looks like what happens when your air comes on and the temperatures are really mismatched for a second, needing A/C to kick into clear it. But it just kept getting worse, no matter what I tried with the A/C. Finally I was like, "is this outside?"

I turned on the windshield wipers, and yes, it was condensation forming on the outside. But it kept coming. I turned the windshield defroster button off, and nothing changed, it just kept fogging from the bottom.

In order to drive, I had to keep the windshield wipers on and occasionally spray with water. This kept going on for the entire 4 mile drive.

It was about 70 degrees outside, and inside the A/C was set to about the same (a bit cooler).

I don't know if this is a car specific thing, but I've never had that happen before.

It must have been very humid outside. Perfectly normal

edit: this happens when the windshield is cooled(climate control) and dry. Then, warm/humid(outside) air hits the windshield and you see moisture form like condensation on a cold coke can.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeyEph
AC.jpg
Yesterday I had a weird thing happen. As soon as I got into the car, the windshield started fogging up. It looks like what happens when your air comes on and the temperatures are really mismatched for a second, needing A/C to kick into clear it. But it just kept getting worse, no matter what I tried with the A/C. Finally I was like, "is this outside?"

I turned on the windshield wipers, and yes, it was condensation forming on the outside. But it kept coming. I turned the windshield defroster button off, and nothing changed, it just kept fogging from the bottom.

In order to drive, I had to keep the windshield wipers on and occasionally spray with water. This kept going on for the entire 4 mile drive.

It was about 70 degrees outside, and inside the A/C was set to about the same (a bit cooler).

I don't know if this is a car specific thing, but I've never had that happen before.
Turn off the up vent

I can only speak for the Model 3, but many of these had similar issues. The glass still had residue from the factory. Using standard windshield cleaning didn't sort it for me. I had to really go at it with a thorough cleaning, clay bar and lube, CeriGlass to ensure all micro scratches were eliminated and then polished, remove polish to prep for treatment, and finally I treated it with Aquapel.

Home | Invisible Glass

CarPro CeriGlass Polish 150ml (5oz)

Need an orbital polisher:

CarPro Glass Rayon Polishing Pad - 5"

CarPro Eraser 500ml (17oz)

Rain Repellent Glass Treatment - Aquapel Glass Treatment

Then I had to deal with the issues on the inside of the glass. All the plastic in new cars will "off gas" for some time and create its own residue. It was driving me nuts! So I then did a thorough cleaning on the inside and treated that with Carpro Fog Fight.

https://www.carpro-us.com/interior/fog-fight-100ml-kit/

Hope it helps! I love to have crystal clear invisible glass that beads water. But I can be a bit OCD.

Reactions: noshadow
I can only speak for the Model 3, but many of these had similar issues. The glass still had residue from the factory. Using standard windshield cleaning didn't sort it for me. I had to really go at it with a thorough cleaning, clay bar and lube, CeriGlass to ensure all micro scratches were eliminated and then polished, remove polish to prep for treatment, and finally I treated it with Aquapel.

Home | Invisible Glass

CarPro CeriGlass Polish 150ml (5oz)

Need an orbital polisher:

CarPro Glass Rayon Polishing Pad - 5"

CarPro Eraser 500ml (17oz)

Rain Repellent Glass Treatment - Aquapel Glass Treatment

Then I had to deal with the issues on the inside of the glass. All the plastic in new cars will "off gas" for some time and create its own residue. It was driving me nuts! So I then did a thorough cleaning on the inside and treated that with Carpro Fog Fight.

Fog Fight 100ml Kit

Hope it helps! I love to have crystal clear invisible glass that beads water. But I can be a bit OCD.

I think you're right on the money. I see a lot of residue on the glass, especially at certain angles and when it's foggy. That's a lot of work, but with the right mindset and tools, should be fun.

Thank you for all of that!

Reactions: webbah