Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Over the Counter (no VIN) parts being refused

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this is a basic question, but I’m new to the Tesla world.

I’ve got a 2018 M3LR and I want to pick up the front and rear USB hubs for the USB-C retrofit (1522264-00-B Front hub (USB-A and USB-C) & 1111072-00-E Rear USB vent assembly (2x USB-C)). Both parts are in the EPC saying OTC (no VIN), but the parts department would not sell them to me saying they wouldn’t work with my car.

Is that normal or should I try elsewhere?

Thanks in advance!

Is it normal that they don’t want to sell you non-returnable parts that won’t work on your car? I would hope so.
You’d think that if that were the case that they would not have the parts listed as “over the counter (no VIN)” and have them all VIN locked. If they’re non-refundable then sucks for me if I buy them and they don’t work out, but they could indicate that prior to selling them instead of telling me they *can’t* sell them to me.

Various service centers are now claiming that they don’t do ANY parts sales “at this location” and even better - that you have to have a service appointment to buy parts… BUT if they don’t have the parts in stock at the service center (that they won’t sell to you) then they won’t order them EITHER. Supposedly this is new in the last two months, but I have not yet found any documentation on a change in any policy. This seems like maybe a reaction (illegal I would think) to the right-to-repair laws now coming into effect. Why are they being such jerks about this?

• Informative
Reactions: EatsShoots