TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Overloading a NISSAN EVSE with a Roadster UMC ?

Discussion in 'Charging Standards and Infrastructure' started by TEG, Nov 2, 2015.

1. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#1 TEG, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    I looks like he sets the Roadster to pull 40amps from an EVSE only designed for 30amps...

2. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

I'm pretty sure the EVSE is smart enough to tell the Roadster to only pull 24 amps or whatever the max rating of the EVSE is.. and I'm pretty sure the Roadster is smart enough to listen and ignore the idiot human.

that said, I have not yet watched the full video...

3. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#3 TEG, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    You should watch it. He uses a J1772 to NEMA 14-50 adapter first. That part doesn't preserve the pilot signal from the EVSE.
    He then plugs a Roadster UMC into the adapter and with the 14-50 plug on the UMC, it generates a 40AMP (secondary) pilot signal to the Roadster.
    He then manually selects 40 AMP charging from the Roadster VDS without checking the label on the EVSE or the breaker behind it.
    I happen to know that those Nissan/Aerovironment EVSEs were typically rated only for 30 amps.

road-40a.png

Nissan EV Charging Stations – AeroVironment, Inc. Online Store
    nissan-e.png

When people overload an EVSE like that it might work for a short while, but overheat the equipment, and cause it to have pre-mature failure later.

You can end up with problems like melted pins on the J plug...
    melt1.png

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Hopefully the EVSE has overcurrent protection. If not, things may break. Most 30A EVSE's are on 40A breakers (next size up, required for the 125% rule).

I know some PlugShare chargers shut down if they detect the car drawing too much current; in fact, I've seen one that shut down unless the car was set to 2A under.