Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overly sensitive/safe autopilot hands on wheel warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else on a more recent software version (28+, Im on 32.2) and find the alert to keep your hands on the wheel during autopilot to be too extreme? I've posted about issues with AP disappearing from my screen (no lines, no cars when clearly there, no cruise or other camera related safety features), and I've seen a pattern where I'll turn on AP, and then briefly, seriously 1 second, take both hands off the wheel...immediately I get the red alerts on the screen and AP turns off (lane lines/markings and cars disappear).

The headlights also come on (set to auto) during bright daylight when this happens, and then wont turn off. I think the lights coming on might be part of the AP override but they wont turn off unless I manually toggle them off. Even toggling back to Auto lights doesnt work, they will stay on. Both AP and headlights staying stuck on wont fix itself until the car has been parked for an extended period (20+min). I've stopped using AP for the time being as Id rather have all the other camera related safety tech. Service says they see this in my logs, and it's a known "firmware issue."

I get that there have been some serious AP related crashes in recent news, perhaps this is Tesla's (lawyers) response? If you must keep hands on the wheel to the level that my car requires, AP is actually more taxing than just driving/steering myself.

That behavior sounds outside the norm. I am on 32.2 and I have not noticed any increase in nags at all. I do always have my hands on the wheel normally, but I can take them off for short periods and not get the red warning. I have actually never seen the red warning in my car, I always have plenty of time to react to the lower level warnings.

Forgot to add that regular cruise is no long available as well once AP shuts off. When I was on 28.x after taking delivery, I remember a more progressive blue wave message to put hands on the wheel...this is why i think something changed. I’d try to record this but will wait for my wife to do it while I drive :)

12108A06-A336-4F03-B487-839A9B0FAB3F.jpeg Here’s a quick pic of no AP (other active safety features too) and no cruise after AP shut off. Auto Headlights are stuck on too.

My M3 has the same issue as yours. I was driving using AP on highway the other day. My hands were always next to the steering wheel. Whenever the nag shows up, I would grab the wheel. AP suddenly beeped, screen showed red image and prompted me to grab wheels using both hands. The speed limit sign, lane marking, cruise control icon and auto-steer icon all disappeared from the screen. I could not use AP nor cruise control for the rest of my trip. Some other times, I was driving without engaging AP. I noticed those icons disappeared for no reason.

I sent my car to Sunnyvale SC last month. I told them that my AP has some issues, so they did AP diagnostics and could not find any issue. Finally they did a firmware update (from 26.3 to 28.2) and battery boot-loader update before returning the car to me. While my car was at SC, they gave me a Model S 75 loaner. That car did not have AP option. But its screen can always display speed limit sign and all lane markings. So I suspect it is not a AP issue, the issue could be related to the front camera. I plan to use my GoPro camera to record what I see and then bring my car to another SC.

• Informative
Reactions: SJC3
My M3 has the same issue as yours. I was driving using AP on highway the other day. My hands were always next to the steering wheel. Whenever the nag shows up, I would grab the wheel. AP suddenly beeped, screen showed red image and prompted me to grab wheels using both hands. The speed limit sign, lane marking, cruise control icon and auto-steer icon all disappeared from the screen. I could not use AP nor cruise control for the rest of my trip. Some other times, I was driving without engaging AP. I noticed those icons disappeared for no reason.

I sent my car to Sunnyvale SC last month. I told them that my AP has some issues, so they did AP diagnostics and could not find any issue. Finally they did a firmware update (from 26.3 to 28.2) and battery boot-loader update before returning the car to me. While my car was at SC, they gave me a Model S 75 loaner. That car did not have AP option. But its screen can always display speed limit sign and all lane markings. So I suspect it is not a AP issue, the issue could be related to the front camera. I plan to use my GoPro camera to record what I see and then bring my car to another SC.

I use AP with a hand always on the wheel. Could it be that this is something that happens if the car detects that you only hold the wheel briefly when nagged, and only let's you do that a certain number of times?

Just sent you a PM so we can take this to one service center. Good to know im not the only one.