Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Overnight test drive 3 row Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vickh

Dec 16, 2018
az
Doing an overnight test drive 3 row Y. Thinking of upgrading from my 3 SR

Seems really tight for my 5'7 son but great for my 5 yo . Anything else that I should check out/ interesting to post on YT?

If you can remove the carpet trunk cover and show if there is a single casting piece and how the third row is mounted.

The 5 seat Model Y has a second sub trunk and I wonder if there is a big empty space under the bottom of the third row seat?

Also if you could remove the frunk cover and show the front area to see if there is also a single front casting?

• Funny
Reactions: Itsuo-DC
If you can remove the carpet trunk cover and show if there is a single casting piece and how the third row is mounted.

The 5 seat Model Y has a second sub trunk and I wonder if there is a big empty space under the bottom of the third row seat?

Also if you could remove the frunk cover and show the front area to see if there is also a single front casting?

Taking apart a car he does not own seems rather inappropriate, even if it is just small stuff.

Taking apart a car he does not own seems rather inappropriate, even if it is just small stuff.
And even then... who cares if it’s single piece casting? (It is though).

this really doesn’t matter to 99% of customers and even the 1% that it does matter to... WHY?

I’m taking delivery of a 7 seater in about 2 weeks. Can’t wait to get mine. My 5 year old fit perfectly in the 3rd row of the showroom model, so this is gonna be perfect for us.

in closing: please don’t take apart a car that’s not yours.

Thanks, Vickh! Not sure when you're doing your overnight test drive, but if it's in time, here are a few things to check if possible:

1. I think I saw that the third row reclines? If so, how tall a person would fit in the third row and not worry about hitting his/her head on the glass of the hatch?
2. would it be reasonable to fold the center part of the 2nd row down and have a taller person in the third row (or two of them) put their feet through the center part, to have six people fit more comfortably? Maybe crazy, I know!
3. Could you try to put 7 people in the car (if you have access to them during Covid) and report whether all 7 felt reasonably comfortable after about 30 minutes of driving? Perhaps report their respective heights?
4. The second row is raised now a bit I think I read, making me wonder whether it is less comfortable now. Is there a difference in comfort for second row passengers between a 3 / 5-seater Y on the one hand and the new Y with 3 rows on the other? That is, how does the second row feel when you put the third row down, and recline the second row, and put it all the way back? Good for a long road trip?
5. What is the slope like in the trunk / cargo area with the third row folded down? Could you camp in it, or would the dip be too annoying to sleep without putting a bit of a raise in the back part to level it out?
6. Could you please measure the dimensions of the cargo space with the third row folded down (including the height at the level of the third down).

Thank you very much!

Thanks, Vickh! Not sure when you're doing your overnight test drive, but if it's in time, here are a few things to check if possible:

1. I think I saw that the third row reclines? If so, how tall a person would fit in the third row and not worry about hitting his/her head on the glass of the hatch?
2. would it be reasonable to fold the center part of the 2nd row down and have a taller person in the third row (or two of them) put their feet through the center part, to have six people fit more comfortably? Maybe crazy, I know!
3. Could you try to put 7 people in the car (if you have access to them during Covid) and report whether all 7 felt reasonably comfortable after about 30 minutes of driving? Perhaps report their respective heights?
4. The second row is raised now a bit I think I read, making me wonder whether it is less comfortable now. Is there a difference in comfort for second row passengers between a 3 / 5-seater Y on the one hand and the new Y with 3 rows on the other? That is, how does the second row feel when you put the third row down, and recline the second row, and put it all the way back? Good for a long road trip?
5. What is the slope like in the trunk / cargo area with the third row folded down? Could you camp in it, or would the dip be too annoying to sleep without putting a bit of a raise in the back part to level it out?
6. Could you please measure the dimensions of the cargo space with the third row folded down (including the height at the level of the third down).

Thank you very much!
Sorry, question 4 should have asked re both the second and third row folded down (camping), not just third row. Thank you!