Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OVMS blocked on low-cost AT&T plans

Curt

Roadster Signature #55
May 13, 2013
Rockville, MD
Is it just me, or is everybody seeing gaps in OVMS app coverage?

I've noticed over the weekend periods of up to five hours where I don't see my data updating in the app, then it works fine for a few hours. I'm still able to reach the car via SMS during these periods.

Right now, my Roadster is parked in its usual spot, but the OVMS app hasn't seen an update in over two hours. I just got a "STAT" and a "GPS?" via SMS, and everything seems fine on my end.

thefortunes

Jun 14, 2013
Wisconsin
Is it just me, or is everybody seeing gaps in OVMS app coverage?

I've noticed over the weekend periods of up to five hours where I don't see my data updating in the app, then it works fine for a few hours. I'm still able to reach the car via SMS during these periods.

Right now, my Roadster is parked in its usual spot, but the OVMS app hasn't seen an update in over two hours. I just got a "STAT" and a "GPS?" via SMS, and everything seems fine on my end.

Just checked mine (also parked in my usual spot). No connection via the app, but sms "stat" gives me correct data.

Curt

Roadster Signature #55
May 13, 2013
Rockville, MD
I'm still seeing a problem. SMS has continued working, but I haven't had an update of data in the app for the past 37 hours.

markwj

Moderator, Asia Pacific
Apr 10, 2011
Hong Kong
Working fine for me, and server seems ok.

For those with no connectivity, can you run through the steps here:

Support FAQ | Open Vehicles

and if still not working then let me have the responses to the SMS messages given there, to support at openvehicles dot com .

shrink

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
May 21, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Mark,

Just ran a few SMS commands per your suggestion. I'm using an AT&T SIM card in the US:

GPRS:
APN:WAP.CINGULAR
User:
Password:
GSM:AT&T
GSM/GPRS: Not connected (0x0042)

DIAG:
RED Led:9
GRN Led:5
NET State:0x0042
12V Line:11.4 ref=12.9
Crashes:1
..last: TO - 54

Any ideas based on that info?

markwj

Moderator, Asia Pacific
Apr 10, 2011
Hong Kong
Best to email at support at openvehicles dot com

Very hard to support from here, as don't want to accidentally disclose private information.

From what you list, red:9 is tcp connect stage. The cellular model can't make a TCP/IP connection to the server. SERVER? will tell you where it is trying to connect to.

Regards, Mark.

Curt

Roadster Signature #55
May 13, 2013
Rockville, MD
Hmmmm...

Could it be that all of us having trouble connecting are on the AT&T $0.10/minute plan?

I have just noticed some troubling new wording on my account page:

Wi-Fi Data Only
for Smartphones
Pay Per Use rate of 1¢ / 5 KB
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]for Basic/Messaging Phones only
[/FONT]​

…and
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]​
Data
As a smartphone user, your data is restricted to Wi-Fi data only.

Could it be that AT&T has decided our OVMS modules are smartphones, and are denying us connection to their data service?

If so, it might be time to switch to H2O (though I still have a balance of over $60 on the AT&T SIM).

thefortunes

Jun 14, 2013
Wisconsin
Also on the AT&T $0.10/min plan.

I have about $30 left (after using a bunch in the last couple days with SMS activity trying to figure out what is wrong). I expire early in January, so it is about time to switch over to H20 anyway.

tvuolo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sep 8, 2013
Colorado
So how do we explain to AT&T that these aren't smartphones? I recently refilled, and still have $90 on my plan.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC